Official DCP G7 Proposal Discussion Thread

Kyle, I still haven't heard your answer on this:

Matt,

Not Kyle, but let me take a swing... when I was in Suncoast, we had basically a show every night. Why? We NEEDED the $$$. I was always jealous of the corps that did 5 shows a week... that may have stayed in one place for 3 days... we simply could not afford that.

Under this proposal, non G7 corps are having 2 of 7 potential show nights taken away from them. Further, if I read the PP correctly, Open and A corps could participate on Saturdays, but not get any $. Finally, non G7 corps who may have had the benefit of one (or more) G7 corps at their Home Shows in the past can pretty much count on NOT having that draw now.

Ergo, money being taken away from non-G7 corps.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lastly, how can you defend a proposal of which you don't understand the implications?

Uggh. Go back and quote all these message where I say I am big supporter of the proposal.

I like parts (mostly the additional shows, show formats, marketing ideas). I don't like parts (arbitrarily promoting yourself to be perpetually in charge of the activity) .

Most of what I've done is this thread is to try to call out things that are just not found in the proposal. An awful lot of what's been posted is rhetorical nonsense and borderline hateful. I believe that most of the G7 directors truly believe in drum corps and have it's best interests at heart in spite of how this proposal is being characterized. I think the press release probably comes very close what they believe this proposal is about. I think the actual written proposal was a train wreck of epic proportions (in both content and execution)

A. Do I think they are greedy? No -- anyone who gets into the drum corps business because they are greedy is just plain dumb. While lots of dollars flow through the business every year most of them go right back out into expenses.

B. Do I think they want to destroy the activity? No. I think they see that world of pageantry / marching arts / whatever you want to call it is rapidly evolving and they don't want drum corps to be left behind.

Do I understand how (in light of the proposal) a person could say A and B ? Sure I guess. But the outrage and indignation here over the treatment of Open Class and non-G7 corps rings hollow to me. Nearly all of those people spent all their money on G7 souvies, went to their seats in time to see the G7, and openly talked about the drum corps elite. And you know what -- this summer most of them will do the very same thing. And don't even start on the suggestions that the members should somehow bear the brunt of this feigned uproar.

Uggh. Go back and quote all these message where I say I am big supporter of the proposal.

I like parts (mostly the additional shows, show formats, marketing ideas). I don't like parts (arbitrarily promoting yourself to be perpetually in charge of the activity) .

Most of what I've done is this thread is to try to call out things that are just not found in the proposal. An awful lot of what's been posted is rhetorical nonsense and borderline hateful. I believe that most of the G7 directors truly believe in drum corps and have it's best interests at heart in spite of how this proposal is being characterized. I think the press release probably comes very close what they believe this proposal is about. I think the actual written proposal was a train wreck of epic proportions (in both content and execution)

A. Do I think they are greedy? No -- anyone who gets into the drum corps business because they are greedy is just plain dumb. While lots of dollars flow through the business every year most of them go right back out into expenses.

B. Do I think they want to destroy the activity? No. I think they see that world of pageantry / marching arts / whatever you want to call it is rapidly evolving and they don't want drum corps to be left behind.

Do I understand how (in light of the proposal) a person could say A and B ? Sure I guess. But the outrage and indignation here over the treatment of Open Class and non-G7 corps rings hollow to me. Nearly all of those people spent all their money on G7 souvies, went to their seats in time to see the G7, and openly talked about the drum corps elite. And you know what -- this summer most of them will do the very same thing. And don't even start on the suggestions that the members should somehow bear the brunt of this feigned uproar.

This is so true on so many levels.

2014 SUPERBOWL WILL BE HOSTED IN THE MEADOWLANDS IN JERSEY!!!

Sorry, I got too excited.

well with any luck, the Cowboys can go in there and #### of Nj folks yet again. Granted, I won;'t even go there for a drum corps show, let alone a Super Bowl

I agree. So what will be different now that will suddenly attract the hitherto uncommitted silent hordes of band kids and parents? Because aligning instrumentation hasn't seemed to work at all so far.

Mike

I think they see a huge untapped market of people who engage in the same activity in the fall and winter and yet remain ignorant of drum corps. I think there is potential growth there (especially in getting the MB kids invested).

In my view the instrumentation changes have not been driven by marketing but by designers/instructors who want the same stuff in the summer that they get in the fall.

a

This is so true on so many levels.

many of the people in these threads bought souvies from corps of all competitive strata and got their ##### in the seats to see the first corps on the field. dont let that wide paintbrush get too wide

What do you think that meant? It was already stated repeatedly (p. 6, for example) how the G7 should be paid more. Tweaking the revenue sharing formula to put more weight on recent competitive placement will raise the share percentage for the higher-placing corps, and cut the percentage for the lower-placing corps.

The current revenue sharing formula ALREADY is heavily weighted toward the top groups and recent years placements.

The G7 either doesn't understand what they already have or they want to tip the scales even further.

many of the people in these threads bought souvies from corps of all competitive strata and got their ##### in the seats to see the first corps on the field. dont let that wide paintbrush get too wide

Would you agree DCP fans are more knowledgeable than average? I contend that average fans buy their tickets and sit through the whole show because they don't even *know* about watching warmups. It's the informed fan who posts here *and* is out in the lot *and* loves their favorite G7 corps.