Official DCP G7 Proposal Discussion Thread

I believe that most of the G7 directors truly believe in drum corps and have it's best interests at heart in spite of how this proposal is being characterized.

I believe the G7 directors have the best interest of their own organizations at heart, as well they should. But this proposal promotes those groups at the expense of other organizations in DCI, which I cannot support in any form. They didn't accidentally include the effective dismissal of Open Class corps in their proposal, it was done very deliberately. What else can you infer when the proposal clearly says they believe that DCI cannot support the current number of corps?

Do I understand how (in light of the proposal) a person could say A and B ? Sure I guess. But the outrage and indignation here over the treatment of Open Class and non-G7 corps rings hollow to me. Nearly all of those people spent all their money on G7 souvies, went to their seats in time to see the G7, oand openly talked about the drum corps elite. And you know what -- this summer most of them will do the very same thing. And don't even start on the suggestions that the members should somehow bear the brunt of this feigned uproar.

I can pretty confidently say that your opinion would be very different if your kid was in an Open Class corps that was being threatened by this proposal. As someone who marched and remains heavily invested and active in Open Class, I think the outrage its warranted and completely appropriate.

I was a fan of those top tier corps, but I never thought they would go this route. I guess I was being naive.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm informed, and I love a lot of corps who are not on the G7 list, perhaps some of them moreso, G7 or not. Proposal or not.

And yeah, DCP is the tip of the iceberg, true, but also an excited and supportive fan base when they feel something is right and good as well.

I'll say no. many informed fans are in the seats. I see the kids, who have been marketed to that "the lot" is the greatest thing since sliced bread out there.

i really am no fan of the lot, because it's not the same as the show, and often corps try more there than in their shows.....and as a result, stuff in their shows suffer.

"woohooo team x can play flama-mama-jamma.

big ####### deal, they cant play tap rolls clean on an 8 to 5 crab.

Would you agree DCP fans are more knowledgeable than average? I contend that average fans buy their tickets and sit through the whole show because they don't even *know* about watching warmups. It's the informed fan who posts here *and* is out in the lot *and* loves their favorite G7 corps.

Competition is important, and you're correct to remind me of that. But Jersey Surf is not competitive with Phantom Regiment, even in one of that corps' worst down years. The battle that people care about is at the top. It was a pretty great feeling when Blue Stars made finals and broke 90 in Bloomington, but I don't see that that feeling won't go away with this proposal. The Blue Stars will still be competing with corps at their level. If you want to call this the minor leagues, well that's already the de facto position they are in. By continuing to be successful, they can move up in class and challenge the AAA corps. Until corps like Blue Stars, Colts, or Jersey Surf get to that level, though, I'm fine with the G7 corps attempting to shape the system in the way they see fit. The merits of their ideas will be shown in where the fans and future members spend their time and money.

How do you feel about the Greedy7 being able to deny all other corps entry into the AAA group? Being successful on the field is not enough to get into AAA. You need the votes.

And the followup to that is, why would the Greedy7 vote to accept new members into AAA, thus decreasing the money for each of them?

Matt,

Not Kyle, but let me take a swing... when I was in Suncoast, we had basically a show every night. Why? We NEEDED the $$$. I was always jealous of the corps that did 5 shows a week... that may have stayed in one place for 3 days... we simply could not afford that.

Under this proposal, non G7 corps are having 2 of 7 potential show nights taken away from them. Further, if I read the PP correctly, Open and A corps could participate on Saturdays, but not get any $. Finally, non G7 corps who may have had the benefit of one (or more) G7 corps at their Home Shows in the past can pretty much count on NOT having that draw now.

Ergo, money being taken away from non-G7 corps.

Thank you for the response, Marwan. That was information and a perspective which I did not previously have.

Ok, say this thing passes.

Open Class corps can participate in championships if they want to. Where?

This would effectively kill an Open division, so what, is Quarterfinals an open event. Any corps competes in Quarterfinals? What happens when an Open Class corps makes Semis? Would they have to do it 3 years in a row before the G7 grants them Regional A status?

Agreed. And I love your signature.....do I get some $$$$ ??? :thumbup:

G

Any money I give to you is money taken away from the A and AA corps.

:tongue:

How do you feel about the Greedy7 being able to deny all other corps entry into the AAA group? Being successful on the field is not enough to get into AAA. You need the votes.

And the followup to that is, why would the Greedy7 vote to accept new members into AAA, thus decreasing the money for each of them?

I reserve the right to be outraged if and when the time comes. If a corps blasts its way through the ranks like Crown has done the past few years, and it's obvious that the corps belongs at the AAA level, then I think it will be just as obvious to us the fans if the board chooses to artificially keep that corps from joining the club. You seem to have already assumed that this will happen. I'm willing to wait and see.

Do I understand how (in light of the proposal) a person could say A and B ? Sure I guess. But the outrage and indignation here over the treatment of Open Class and non-G7 corps rings hollow to me. Nearly all of those people spent all their money on G7 souvies, went to their seats in time to see the G7, and openly talked about the drum corps elite.

Cite your source.

I can pretty confidently say that your opinion would be very different if your kid was in an Open Class corps that was being threatened by this proposal. As someone who marched and remains heavily invested and active in Open Class, I think the outrage its warranted and completely appropriate.

I was a fan of those top tier corps, but I never thought they would go this route. I guess I was being naive.

*Maybe* if this proposal were further along than it is now I'd agree. Suppose for a moment that instead of leaking the proposal had remained behind closed doors and that the only part that emerged from it for a vote were:

(a) additional top 8 shows under the proposed format

(b) two top 8 corps make the west coast swing every year

© the top 8 create some sort of outreach to HSMB as part of (a)

Would you be outraged?

Edited by corpsband