Official DCP G7 Proposal Discussion Thread

G,

I don't have problems with the activity nor the vets, etc on here. If anything, I'm saying that they have problems with me. I don't dismiss your history, in fact I honor and envy it. What I have said was that I am not burdened by it. I had the pleasure of training many combat soldiers for nearly 3 decades and one thing became clear to me, old ideas and norms will always pass (very few exceptions). It's with the influx of new troops that there is created a new normal and old ideas are replaced (new equipment, new strategy, new technology). So I've learned to make peace with change. That's what I mean by "baggage".... (IMO) an unwillingness to let go of old ideas; and block out the new.

But you are assuming many are unwilling to "block out the new" ideas. Many ideas along the years have been welcomed and embraced, as it should be, no brainer. Ideas, just for the sake of presenting them, doesnt mean that they are good or they should be supported.

These latest rounds of ideas as presented via powerpoint, by people most of us know, know of, and marched with, are simply not good for the activity, the fans, or the members of drum corps.

Its easy to see who benefits from such ideas, and who suffers.

Change is natural, change just happens, change can be awesome...when needed, change for the sake of change is never good and will come back to bite you.

G

Edited by GMichael1230

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

G,

I don't have problems with the activity nor the vets, etc on here. If anything, I'm saying that they have problems with me. I don't dismiss your history, in fact I honor and envy it. What I have said was that I am not burdened by it. I had the pleasure of training many combat soldiers for nearly 3 decades and one thing became clear to me, old ideas and norms will always pass (very few exceptions). It's with the influx of new troops that there is created a new normal and old ideas are replaced (new equipment, new strategy, new technology). So I've learned to make peace with change. That's what I mean by "baggage".... (IMO) an unwillingness to let go of old ideas; and block out the new.

The problem here is that these "new ideas" aren't new or necessary. They're not needed to attract new people into the organizations. They're done solely to align with the high school marching band world, and from the direction of the wind, G.H & USSBA.

You should only take new ideas that will work better than the old ideas, not just for the sake of being new.

Ok, I guess you just haven't demonstrated that very well thus far.

Also, this:

Right is in the eye of the beholder. You think you are, and I think I am. Time will prove one of us, or neither of us right.

Concerning you second condescending question (that you continue to foist like a bad kid trying to show everyone his booger)... answer it yourself!

Page (slide) 8, Assertion 4: Reclassification of Corps.

Didn't they already do a reclassification by moving into a World/Open only? Wasn't there a AAA/AA/A before but under Div 1/2/3?

I thought the, then Div2/3 corps directors decided to combine and call themselves Open Class. The Div 1 corps renamed themselves World Class after the Open Class title was engaged.

Also, the Div 1/2/3 is nothing like the AAA/AA/A format. There are no current Open Class corps in the AAA/AA/A lists (other then the 3 connected to current World Class corps). If the Colt Cadets, BDB or SCVC where an independent corps/organization they would not be on the list at all.

If DCI's financial situation were so dire that it requires us to fling DCI bylaws aside and have 40 corps subjugate themselves to the rule of the other 7, reformat half of the summer's events and fire half of DCI's staff, corroboration of the crisis would be easy. Frankly, to even contemplate such transformative change demands confirmation of the crisis first.

All we have now is a vague phrase in a PowerPoint presentation....and this is not the first time we've seen this tactic. "Politics of fear" have been employed in numerous instances to push for change ever since 1997. History repeating.

I don't necessarily disagree with your statement (although I can't be sure bylaws were ignored).

It's possible the financial stuff was discussed, just not in the powerpoint. That said, it should be relatively easy for either side to either confirm or deny the financial allegations. All I was saying is that your persistence in expecting to find the answer posted in this forum seems a bit misguided.

If there's one thing I'm sure of it's that the talks on this subject will continue between DCI and the G7, and that DCP will not be a part of them.

Right is in the eye of the beholder. You think you are, and I think I am. Time will prove one of us, or neither of us right.

Concerning you second condescending question (that you continue to foist like a bad kid trying to show everyone his booger)... answer it yourself!

Well it's a worthwhile question. You appear to support this proposal (correct me if I'm wrong) and maintain that you acknowledge the impact of it on all aspects of the activity, so the only conclusion I can draw is that you could care less about the members/staff/volunteers/administrators in smaller corps and the experience being provided to those kids and by those people. At least be honest about it instead of trying to skirt the issue: you just don't care.

But you are assuming many are unwilling to "block out the new" ideas. Many ideas along the years have been welcomed and embraced, as it should be, no brainer. Ideas, just for the sake of presenting them, doesnt mean that they are good or they should be supported.

These latest rounds of ideas as presented via powerpoint, by people most of us know, mnow of, and marched with, are simply not good for the activity, the fans, or the members of drum corps.

Its easy to see who benefits from such ideas, and who suffers.

Chane is natural, change just happens, change can be awesome...when needed, change for the sake of change is never good and will come back to bite you.

G

Some good thinking here.

The "people most of us know" smacks of....we know these guys and when they're lips are moving it's bad for the activity. Some of us out here don't know that to be true, and we are willing to listen, particularly to those that have been serving up consistenly top performing corps.

The funny part is that all it appears in the proposal is to give you more shows by the top tier groups while still sustaining the other shows. From what I have read it never says anything about reducing the existing shows at all. The way I read it is we will get more shows like Murfessboro at a higher level. I don't see anything bad in that.

Page 44 - "Touring Corps (AA) will perform Monday through Thursday and Saturday." Only the G7 would perform on Fridays/Sundays.

Some good thinking here.

The "people most of us know" smacks of....we know these guys and when they're lips are moving it's bad for the activity. Some of us out here don't know that to be true, and we are willing to listen, particularly to those that have been serving up consistenly top performing corps.

ugh....so many "typos".....I hate laptops !

G

ugh....so many "typos".....I hate laptops !

G

G, you keep that up and people are gonna start thinking YOU wrote this proposal....

:thumbup: