Solution to the G7 Dilema

Are the current DCA corps in a position to be competing on both a Friday and Sunday though?

No

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Err... Some of us have competed on Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays. One year: Parade Fri, Show Sat. Show Sun. Show Tues.

It does happen and with a well-led, prepared management you can do anything.

a question former DCP member Glen Hazelwood asked me to ask on here:

"Suppose the 'tier 2' DCI corps embrace the idea of going over to DCA and subsequently take the top 5 spots at the 2011 DCA Championship?

Might that not sap some of the enthusiasm everyone seems to have about this concept out of it? Just a thought. I have no horse in this race."

So I have not read the entire proposal, but does the G7 actually exclude the rest of the corps from DCi? If so, here is a thought. What if ALL the corps excluded by G7 decided to move over to DCA? We would have more corps in more places throughout the country. Someone said something about housing the members on their 4 days off each week. Who says they would have 4 days off? If there were more DCA corps around the country, there could be more DCA shows in more areas around the country and there could still be full touring corps. We would then have 7 day a week corps competing in DCA just like DCi. Is that bad?

It is always said that DCA corps are lower quality than DCi corps(agree or not, that is the comment I have heard). If DCi corps were suddenly in DCA, wouldn't there then be "better" corps in DCA? If the shows were billed right, and the general public were educated properly, they would know that the DCA shows now have the same corps that used to be in DCi shows. People would still go and see the familliar corps. No, not the top 7, but how many shows always featured the top 7? Suddenly DCA shows could become the premier shows around the country.

The question would be is if there were a DCi G7 show and a DCA show with 16 corps in the same area on the same weekend, which would you go to? Personally I would choose the show with 16 corps. It will probably cost less and have much more diverse entertainment. Of course the simple solution would be not to have a show the same time in the same area as a G7 show.

The only thing that would have to change for the DCi corps that come over to DCA is they would have to leave their plugged in instruments at home and conform to the DCA rules. Not too difficult to do. If this really happens and the G7 corps create a division line from the rest of DCi and those corps decide to move to DCA, suddenly there would be 6 to 10 more corps out west and we could have a complete DCA schedule.

G7 will probably go through and planned for correctly, DCA could have the opportunity to be there to pick up the pieces.

---Bob---

*****************edit*********************:

Since this is such a hot topic right now, I probably should say that these are my opinions only and do not reflect the opinion of staff or management of any corps that I am affiliated with.

Bob,

Perhaps I wasn't specific enough... I was talking about the corps that might not benefit from this proposal changing their schedule to weekend-only. Also to address a few issues before you... yes, DCA would probably need more judges as well as increased number of performance venues. However remember this... DCA corps are allowed to sponsor competitions just as in DCI... I feel this issue would probably be taken care of by more corps volunteering to move the competitions they already sponsor over to DCA. Also, regarding the issue of performers coming from every which corner of the world... I know of several of senior corps that have members coming from other countries. It's not as frequent as in DCI, but it DOES happen... the Hawthorne Caballeros had a member from Japan in 2007 and they usually have an entire contingency that drives EIGHT HOURS ONE WAY from Canada. I'm sure it would be challenging, but it's not impossible.

Err... Some of us have competed on Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays. One year: Parade Fri, Show Sat. Show Sun. Show Tues.

It does happen and with a well-led, prepared management you can do anything.

The majority of DCA corps on the east coast, all "well led and managed properly" have all but given up trying to rehearse on a Friday evening due (sectionals maybe but not full corps) to the majority of the members working or traveling, and Sunday reheasals have started to become a problem also due to work and travel. Maybe one show per season on a Friday night or a Sunday show here or their, But not a full season of 3 shows a weekend, I dont care how well a corps is managed, Its not going to happen with todays DCA corps, Not on the east coast.

Just my opinion.

(I'd rather see Bayonne than Cabs Alumni, not that Cabs Alumni isn't spectacular, its just that Bayonne would personify what a Junior corp would look like if it decided to be an All-Age....)

But this whole subject is ridiculous, to what benefit does DCA gain in the end?....DCI is kids stuff, they think like kids, act like kids and can't hold their liquor anyway..... :thumbup:

PLUS it sounds almost as STUPID as having the Super Bowl in New Jersey in FEB....lol..... :tongue:

Yea,shows like the Dream contest, that had Crowds of 20 to over 25 THOUSAND every year are not posible. I forgot that DCA was just a bunch of DRUNKS living in the past. That groups other than the G7 are just not worthy KIDS making believe they are a Corps in DCI. Yea right. Putting any of them together with those low quality DCA groups(READING -CABS - EMPIRE - HURK'S). is a Stupid idea. Nothing to gain for anyone. How about BOTH the kids taking part might get to see the Quality of DCA. That they might see that they CAN continue AFTER DCI age out. Then also Maybe some DCI Fans might like DCA groups, and vice versa.

So WHY is it OK to do that on the WEST COAST.

Oh, I know. you just feel sorry for those poor not very good DCA groups.

Almost like a public service to the needy. (Although BOTH SoCal Dream and Renegades do VERY well at the DCA Championships, and are very popular here in the EAST.

a question former DCP member Glen Hazelwood asked me to ask on here:

"Suppose the 'tier 2' DCI corps embrace the idea of going over to DCA and subsequently take the top 5 spots at the 2011 DCA Championship?

Might that not sap some of the enthusiasm everyone seems to have about this concept out of it? Just a thought. I have no horse in this race."

Not an unreasonable question. I've thought that several times while reading over this thread. It's already pretty much agreed upon that even the best DCA has to offer can't really compete with the level of polish a corps rehearsing everyday can achieve. In all honesty, DCA & DCI have different mission statements to consider. If this whole G7 proposal went through and the top 7 DCI corps chose to isolate themselves from their lower placing counterparts, I suspect it would essentially create a third division again within the DCI ranks. (i.e. - Division I = G7, Division 2 = the remaining World Class corps and Division 3 = the Open Class contingency.) Thought this is all purely speculation at this point. How things will play out is still anybody's guess.

Not an unreasonable question. I've thought that several times while reading over this thread. It's already pretty much agreed upon that even the best DCA has to offer can't really compete with the level of polish a corps rehearsing everyday can achieve. In all honesty, DCA & DCI have different mission statements to consider. If this whole G7 proposal went through and the top 7 DCI corps chose to isolate themselves from their lower placing counterparts, I suspect it would essentially create a third division again within the DCI ranks. (i.e. - Division I = G7, Division 2 = the remaining World Class corps and Division 3 = the Open Class contingency.) Thought this is all purely speculation at this point. How things will play out is still anybody's guess.

I doubt very highly that if the DCI groups were put back to a weekend schedule that they would be ANY better than the top DCA groups. The point some people might be missing (including kids that think all-age drum corps isn't worthy of their time) is that the main thing setting DCI and DCA apart is REHEARSAL TIME. Those junior kids rehearse day in and day out 5-6 days a week. If the DCA corps were able to have a rehearsal schedule like that, they would achieve results either close to or just as virtuostic as the juniors. When put on a weekend-only schedule the exact same types of stamina concerns that happen through most of DCA's season would plague the junior groups. They are younger, but they are still human beings that must be physically conditioned every year to make it through an entire show. I think the change would be such that even the best junior corps staffs wouldn't be able to get the same results that they would if the kids were rehearsing on a junior schedule.

Personally I think a DCA Jr division would be a great idea but I don't know that DCA has either the desire or ability to expand their mission.

Personally I think a DCA Jr division would be a great idea but I don't know that DCA has either the desire or ability to expand their mission.

That would be fine too, but what I'm talking about is integrating the juniors into the regular all-age competitions. No need to seperate them, there is nothing keeping them apart except the fact that the juniors tend to get more rehearsal time. If they were put on a weekend-only schedule, the playing field would be as level as it is now, in my opinion.