Solution to the G7 Dilema

Have asked a few times here why more age-outs don't join DCA corps. Main two answers were burnout and at 22 they're usually starting their lives after school.

Having left my DCA corps at 22 for the second reason I can believe that.

As for whole corps.... interesting but then it would be the Weekend Warrior mode which is 180 degress away from a tour.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The drawback I can see in this is also one of the features that DCA corps can offer their participants-touring schedule. Let's say you have one of DCI's 8-12 place corps that wants to become part of DCA; some of their members might be coming from a different part of the country, or even from another country-and would need housing for the four or five "off" days during each week, as well as something to keep them occupied. Could a DCI corps afford to feed/house all of their members, performing only one or two days per week? If they COULD swing it financially, then they would need a site that could house them and they could use as a home base for the summer...that would probably prove to be even more challenging. What we may see and what would probably work is if we saw DCI corps come over to DCA, but as smaller entities than they are as we currently know them...in other words, you probably won't have a kid from Tennessee marching in a Madison or Boston; so instead of a corps coming over with 150 members, you may have them going on the field with 65. You can bet they would be welcomed with open arms, though!!!! :thumbup:

THIS!!!

I have had this conversation with Roman Blenski many times. Kids want to tour and that is why they do DCI. I see this whole thing as a chance to reform DCM, DCE, DCW et al,...the non G 7's will be more localized to their areas for the first tour. The second tour will be all of the major regionals as we know them leading into championships. So Blue Stars are DCM Champions, Boston is DCE Champions, and Mandarins or Pacific Crest are DCW Champions. Whatever the others corps want to do until mid July, go ahead and do it. There was nothing wrong with that system that somehow was not exceptable to DCI anymore.

Pioneer has kids from South Africa, England, Japan, Mexico, Austria, Holland on some years and many other far away lands. These kids wouldnt want to come to stay in someones house for the summer and not drum, march or play the horn all day. They want to rehearse and then travel to shows on long grueling bus rides LOL. The kids that come from Texas, Nebraska, Alabama and Tenesee that are still good performers and musical athletes would stop their participation in drum corps totally if they couldnt make it in the elite groups.

DCA could begin looking at having regional contests that allowed two divisions. That would possibly work out well for everybody. Bring back DCM. DCE. DCW. They, that are too good for that, can go do what they want.

Donny

THIS!!!

I have had this conversation with Roman Blenski many times. Kids want to tour and that is why they do DCI. I see this whole thing as a chance to reform DCM, DCE, DCW et al,...the non G 7's will be more localized to their areas for the first tour. The second tour will be all of the major regionals as we know them leading into championships. So Blue Stars are DCM Champions, Boston is DCE Champions, and Mandarins or Pacific Crest are DCW Champions. Whatever the others corps want to do until mid July, go ahead and do it. There was nothing wrong with that system that somehow was not exceptable to DCI anymore.

Pioneer has kids from South Africa, England, Japan, Mexico, Austria, Holland on some years and many other far away lands. These kids wouldnt want to come to stay in someones house for the summer and not drum, march or play the horn all day. They want to rehearse and then travel to shows on long grueling bus rides LOL. The kids that come from Texas, Nebraska, Alabama and Tenesee that are still good performers and musical athletes would stop their participation in drum corps totally if they couldnt make it in the elite groups.

DCA could begin looking at having regional contests that allowed two divisions. That would possibly work out well for everybody. Bring back DCM. DCE. DCW. They, that are too good for that, can go do what they want.

Donny

My thoughts as well Donny.

Well, if nothing else, incorporating some of the non G-7 corps could result in some Friday & Sunday DCA events!

:thumbup:

Are the current DCA corps in a position to be competing on both a Friday and Sunday though?

Just a thought. What if the non-G7 corps organized their own drum corps association as an alternative to DCI? Let's say DCE (Drum Corps Experience)- and in the shows they host, like the Crusaders show in Lawrence, limit the competitors to non-G7 corps. This would force the DCI corps to tour more enmass, as the number of shows available to them would be limited. The new circuit would still have tours; show hosts would see that other corps are still big draws, and those who are opposed to the bandification of drum corps would be free from the influence of Hopkincism.

Just a thought. What if the non-G7 corps organized their own drum corps association as an alternative to DCI? Let's say DCE (Drum Corps Experience)- and in the shows they host, like the Crusaders show in Lawrence, limit the competitors to non-G7 corps. This would force the DCI corps to tour more enmass, as the number of shows available to them would be limited. The new circuit would still have tours; show hosts would see that other corps are still big draws, and those who are opposed to the bandification of drum corps would be free from the influence of Hopkincism.

Realizing that this is a discussion topic, I think we need to wait and see what all shakes down from this "G-7" thing. It seems there will be ALOT of non G-7 corps left out of the mix. Perhaps they can do as you suggest and turn the tables a bit on the "We are the act" crowd. In doing so, Maybe Drum corps can once again serve ALL young people and not just an elite few.

regardless.. This latest "power grab" confirms that "some" people in power have lost sight of whom they should be serving.

I see this as just the opposite-the non G7's already HAVE "their own drum corps association"-a.k.a. DCI. Let the G7 go, good riddance and let the remaining WC and all the OC corps keep on keepin' on as DCI, or figure out a way to incorporate them into DCA.

As for the poster inquiring about Friday/Sunday shows, DCA HAS done a number of Sunday shows in the past-they are usually in relatively close geographic proximity to a Saturday show, and usually have the same or mostly the same competing corps roster; and they are held in the afternoon. That still allows the corps to get home Sunday night. I'm pretty sure there was a DCA Sunday contest in East Providence, RI in 2005-the day after DCI championships had been up the road in Foxboro, MA.

I see this as just the opposite-the non G7's already HAVE "their own drum corps association"-a.k.a. DCI. Let the G7 go, good riddance and let the remaining WC and all the OC corps keep on keepin' on as DCI, or figure out a way to incorporate them into DCA.

As for the poster inquiring about Friday/Sunday shows, DCA HAS done a number of Sunday shows in the past-they are usually in relatively close geographic proximity to a Saturday show, and usually have the same or mostly the same competing corps roster; and they are held in the afternoon. That still allows the corps to get home Sunday night. I'm pretty sure there was a DCA Sunday contest in East Providence, RI in 2005-the day after DCI championships had been up the road in Foxboro, MA.

Yes- DCA will do a Sunday gig where possible, and hopefully, if this pans out, maybe DCI can get rid of the people who have pushed them up to this cliff.

And yeah, seeing the US through a bus, LOL... Burnout I think plays a HUGE issue with those corps. Everything is so intense it burns the fuses bright and hot.

We'll have to see where it goes, though. Maybe Donny's right. Regional circuits might open up again. Might be nice. the problem is I can see Hop trying to quash or take advantage of that however he could because he might find a dollar under a rock. He's been known in USSBA for buying huge blocks of time from certain venues in order to ostensibly have them for rainout dates, but also to keep other circuits from gaining access. Think that practice may have stopped with the economy shift, thank goodness.

Edited by BigW