Would you do it again...today

No.

When I marched, the activity was wide spread, community based, and supported by the general population. You basically had a choice of doing something constructive like drum corps or hanging out at the am-pm. Today there are many other options for growth, travel and education which I would choose over drum corps.

I often wonder how so many hard working and successful people in the world ever managed to get that way without drum corps. Could it be that there are other, possibly more relevant and rewarding ways to learn discipline, camaraderie, citizenship, etc? I'd say the answer is yes. Not that I think drum corps today is a waste of time, especially if you want to be a band director in the future, but there are many other ways to go.

Very few other activities can replace the thrill of having 10,000+ people cheering (or even politely clapping) for you night after night. But, if that's really what drives your bus, get real, get a guitar and be a rock star, you'll get more chicks. I thoroughly enjoyed 9 years of drum corps, but if I had it to do over again I would have listened to my father and spent the last 2 years doing something else.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have a tough time as I was a cymbalist by choice and there aren't many cymbal lines anymore. I don't want to march any other instrument, did snare in the school band and in the VFW drum corps, Tympani in college concert band while in high school, yet, something about those plates had me in a death grip of love. So in a cymbal line, YES, in any corps. Any other position, not a chance. NO INTEREST.

Edited by 84skyrydr

Kinda of with Cliff/MarimbasaurusRex above as I'd only do it the same way I did when I started. Just find a corps that really needs warm bodies and do the show to entertain the crowd. Only corcerns are the scores go up each show and the position go up each year. Sumthin' like Contraholics list of corps he has done.

Kinda doing it now with a parade corps, just don't have the score bit goning on.....

Edited by JimF-LowBari

At my present age and physical condition, no. It would KILL me :tongue:

Seriously, if I was a college student right now (and bluntly, in a little better condition than I was in the early 80's) I might consider it, if I had the cash. That is the big consideration..it is much more expensive than it was back then, and though the participants are better cared-for I am not sure I could justify it.

However, the activity has changed. A previous poster has stated that in the 70's-80's DC had a wider visibility and a broader base of fans. It is now a niche activity (and IMHO, in danger from the elitists of being destroyed if this G7 idea is brought to fruition. Another subject...) and unless you are interested in the area of the niche that your available corps is cultivating, then you may not have much interest. That is where I would have an issue.

It is also VERY physical. I don't think I could do what those performers do now even at 20...it is just a different kind of animal.

At my present age...Not interested. I have other things that are way more important than DC (wife, kids, job, my sanity...) that I must attend to first. That is the calling of the adult. If you can fit it into your life without sacrificing the true priorities, then more power to you. I love keeping up with the activity, but I have moved on insofar as my participation as a member (even in all-age). To me, that is for youth...and I am not young anymore.

Nor do I desire to be....

I would WANT to do it.

BITD, walking up to dad and saying for $500 you can get rid of me for THREE MONTHS was an EASY sell.

TODAY, (if we weren't all older) telling him that he can get rid of me for two months for $3,000, he'd probably look at me funny while reaching for a tazer and calling mental health.

BITD, there were a lot of families / generations doing it and it was expected that their kids and their kids kids would have the same opportunity. I don't know if I'd want to set my kids(if I ever have any) up for the disappointment of having to travel further and further to the NEAREST corps (and therefor nearest show/competition). Or have to change jobs and cities every two years just to keep drumcorps in their life. It's just not the way it's SUPPOSED to be. And there's just too many things in place that make it so it can't be any other way. But at least I know how to play a bugle and 24 notes.

No.

When I marched, the activity was wide spread, community based, and supported by the general population. You basically had a choice of doing something constructive like drum corps or hanging out at the am-pm. Today there are many other options for growth, travel and education which I would choose over drum corps.

I often wonder how so many hard working and successful people in the world ever managed to get that way without drum corps. Could it be that there are other, possibly more relevant and rewarding ways to learn discipline, camaraderie, citizenship, etc? I'd say the answer is yes. Not that I think drum corps today is a waste of time, especially if you want to be a band director in the future, but there are many other ways to go.

Very few other activities can replace the thrill of having 10,000+ people cheering (or even politely clapping) for you night after night. But, if that's really what drives your bus, get real, get a guitar and be a rock star, you'll get more chicks. I thoroughly enjoyed 9 years of drum corps, but if I had it to do over again I would have listened to my father and spent the last 2 years doing something else.

Well said bro,............back in the day, corps were doing a much better job of building young men and women,.................today, not so much

Well said bro,............back in the day, corps were doing a much better job of building young men and women,.................today, not so much

I honestly do not believe this to be true. I think it's more about the way culture changes over time - I aged out in the 80's, and things were different then than they are now. These kids are part of a whole different world - internet, cell phones, constant communication, facebook (and sometimes letting it ALL hang out - way too much, IMO - in social networking situations), zillions more hours of media-entertainment oriented distractions and messages, etc. Despite all of that, I think the kids coming out of drum corps today are still outstanding young men and women who have endured a crucible of youth that far too many other kids never, ever pass through.

ABSOLUTELY - No Doubt about it I would wear the Blue again in a heartbeat.

Probably not. Because I wouldn't be able to afford it.

I'd want to but bumming today's fees off my parents would have been hard. And I was already working just to pay the bills while in college.

Absolutely YES! I marched my last show 30 years ago, at DCI in Birmingham. I've spent 30 years since in the corporate world and I have never formed the kinds of bonds that I formed with my drum corps friends that many years ago. ON DCP, we get mired in rules changes, G7, Hoppy, 150 members, kids flying to camps, etc. I have the good fortune to spend several weeks each summer with BAC, and I will tell anyone who cares that these kids are every bit as passionate about the activity and each other as we were 3o years ago.

These kids don't worry about rule changes etc (just like WE didn't when we were alive).....their concern is the show, their section, and being the best they can possibly be. Yes, these kids are better players and athletes than I ever was, but they get every bit as much benefit from the experience as we did.

Finally, we talk about money alot on DCP. Well, my scraping together $450 in 1980 to march BAC was every bit as tough as $2000 is today. Btw, my annual tuition at the University of Maine was $5600 year in those days inc room and board. EVERYTHING has changed...except for the life changing experience the kids get.