How come SCV did Phantom of the Opera for 2 years straight

Just saw that Santa Clara Vanguard, in 88 and 89 played the same show. Why was this? Any particular reason?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Same theme, same source music....different show.

Madison Scouts did City of Angels in both 1990 and 1991. Very different shows.

I guess when you have great music and think you can do an even better show the following year with it, go for it!

IMHO, both SCV 1989 and Madison 1991 were better than their previous year's counterparts.

Probably because:(pick one)

-Many corps kept themes but re-wrote drill/unis/staging/etc.

-Phantom did Spartacus for 2 years in a row in the 80's.

-It kicked butt.

I say all of the above.

Just saw that Santa Clara Vanguard, in 88 and 89 played the same show. Why was this? Any particular reason?

They wanted to fully develop the idea. They wanted to take a different approach for the "second chance"... :shutup:

This was a pretty common thing in the early 80s. It had gone out of vogue by the end of the decade, but SCV still had the habit of keeping one number from the previous year and performing it better the next year.

I personally prefer the '88 version. It was more theatrics and finesse with much better solos, but they won with the '89 version so everyone else seems to like that one better.

The masks in '89 were cool, but the mixed guard in '88 really helped to sell the whole story.

Watch them and you'll see that there are difference that make both versions compelling.

Edited by jjeffeory

Same answers as above. I also preferred '88.

1988:

Music of the Night

Angel of Music

Phantom of the Opera

Masquerade

Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again

Track Down This Murderer

All I Ask Of You

Angel of Music

Masquerade

Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again

Track Down this Murderer

This was a pretty common thing in the early 80s. It had gone out of vogue by the end of the decade, but SCV still had the habit of keeping on number from the previous year and perform it the next year.
SCV wasn't the only one. I don't think anyone can name a single corps back in the 70s and 80s who didn't repeat something from a previous year.

To give the judges another chance to get it right? lol

They got 1988 exactly right.

To give the judges another chance to get it right? lol

Apparently it worked. :)

They wanted to fully develop the idea. They wanted to take a different approach for the second time chance...

This was a pretty common thing in the early 80s. It had gone out of vogue by the end of the decade, but SCV still had the habit of keeping on number from the previous year and perform it the next year.

I only wish SCV had done this with 2004's Scheherezade show. It was a thrilling show, but it had some weak spots in the drill design and some rough brass moments. With some refining and development, a revamped Scheherezade might have rivalled Phantom's Spartcaus for the show of the decade.

Today"s shows with their two bar phrases, a corps could use the previous years source music and make new arrangements and it would be a totally different show. No joke there. :shutup: