The OFFICIAL Cavaliers Thread

Did you get to hear the corps? How did they sound?

No, I'm in DC. I'll get to hear them next week though...

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Drove up from Memphis to EIU for fan appreciation night. The performance did get rained out :thumbup: They told us that we could watch the different sections rehearse if we wanted. We went and checked out the hornline. We also saw the new uniforms!! A few changes, including a black back. Got to hear the first bit of the show. They open with mad world..Sounds REALLY good already. We got to hear a little of the next piece ( i think....) Some really challenging parts. And also we got to hear a little bit of the cavies playing JAZZ!!

We were disappointed with the weather... You can't control that...BUT we were a little more let down with the lack of information put out by my favorite corps. We did make the best of a less than perfect situation and are really excited for this season!

Drove up from Memphis to EIU for fan appreciation night. The performance did get rained out :thumbup: They told us that we could watch the different sections rehearse if we wanted. We went and checked out the hornline. We also saw the new uniforms!! A few changes, including a black back. Got to hear the first bit of the show. They open with mad world..Sounds REALLY good already. We got to hear a little of the next piece ( i think....) Some really challenging parts. And also we got to hear a little bit of the cavies playing JAZZ!!

We were disappointed with the weather... You can't control that...BUT we were a little more let down with the lack of information put out by my favorite corps. We did make the best of a less than perfect situation and are really excited for this season!

Sorry about the weather, but thanks for posting a review.

I've driven many hours only to see a rain out, so I know what you're going through.

Are those like the drum heads that you hear cops use with their bagpipes in parades?

I'm pretty sure most of those kinds of ensembles use field drums, probably with mylar or animal skin (most likely mylar) heads. Mylar costs alot less then Kevlar, but it isnt durable, which means you have to buy more to keep the drumline in tune. Mylar first came out in the 1950s from Remo. Kevlar came later.

Star used Mylar into the 90s until the Medea show because it had a wet, concert sound. They also never switched off 2-valves, when other corps did.

Pipe bands use kevlar / composite heads, same as everyone else. Mylar heads are essentially "plastic" heads - in general they have a much wetter ("snare"-ey) sound and can't be tuned as high/tight.

Mike

I'll just google it because I have no idea what you guys are talking about.

I'll just google it because I have no idea what you guys are talking about.

Listen/watch any DCI corps before 1988 (excluding SCV 87) those are Mylar (plastic) heads.

Edited by Fievel

Any news on how the color guard is shaping up?

I know one of their instructors. He was at a camp I photographed Friday and Saturday. He told me that the show was coming along. He was only there the first week because he is teaching Center Grove HS as well.

He is pretty awesome though (marched PoC this past year, NEI before that, Crown in '06, BC in '08) and he told us that he almost feels like they should be teaching him. Says that he will tell them to throw a 7 and do a flip and they can do it just like that. (with some exaggeration obviously but pretty close)

I LOVE George's work though so if their work is like his I'm going to be very excited.

This is where I appreciate the male corps. Their guard's weapon line is usually kick ###!!