The OFFICIAL Cavaliers Thread

That doesn't really get to it, I don't think. Looking at my earlier post, how about "what noun can sum up what I'm seeing?" Those adjectives may describe the show, but they don't explain it.

"Mad World" - angry or crazy? From the preseason vids they put out, I'm assuming it's supposed to be "angry" - thus the inclusion of Smile - so... the closer is happy since it's not angry music at all?

Again - I'm a huge Cavalier fan - always have been. Was in the booster club for many years. I'm not trying to be dense - I just really do not understand what they're trying to show us.

Mike

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That doesn't really get to it, I don't think. Looking at my earlier post, how about "what noun can sum up what I'm seeing?" Those adjectives may describe the show, but they don't explain it.

"Mad World" - angry or crazy? From the preseason vids they put out, I'm assuming it's supposed to be "angry" - thus the inclusion of Smile - so... the closer is happy since it's not angry music at all?

Again - I'm a huge Cavalier fan - always have been. Was in the booster club for many years. I'm not trying to be dense - I just really do not understand what they're trying to show us.

Mike

I think this is a show that definitely has some "coming together" to do, but they're the Cavaliers so it probably will. I think angry and crazy are what they're going for, which makes Smile make some sense on the crazy end of things especially with the guard's jerky dancing during this section. I think more could be done to convey the whole happy/crazy idea. I have faith that the Cavaliers will pull it off. Typically when this corps sets out to convey a mood or tell a story it ends up being very effective when all is said and done. If anyone has seen American Psycho, I think that is the general idea of the Smile section. Sort of in the same way the killer in American Psycho always started his murderous rampages with Huey Lewis...

Okay, that actually does make it a bit clearer - thanks! :sad: It probably needs a darker ending, I think, to drive the point home more clearly. But yeah, this is going to be a heck of a show once the rough edges get smoothed out.

Mike

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/styl...default/huh.gif

Mike

Have you heard them play Smile? Can you hear that it's not a 'happy' arrangement? It's still brewing intensity and is rather dense and brooding, especially at the climax. Have you seen or read the lyrics to the song? It's not a happy song. It's a sad and aching song.

I think this is a show that definitely has some "coming together" to do, but they're the Cavaliers so it probably will. I think angry and crazy are what they're going for, which makes Smile make some sense on the crazy end of things especially with the guard's jerky dancing during this section. I think more could be done to convey the whole happy/crazy idea. I have faith that the Cavaliers will pull it off. Typically when this corps sets out to convey a mood or tell a story it ends up being very effective when all is said and done. If anyone has seen American Psycho, I think that is the general idea of the Smile section. Sort of in the same way the killer in American Psycho always started his murderous rampages with Huey Lewis...

I work in a psychiatric hospital so this show hits the mark in many ways (for me). When I get patients in the hospital who are very labile, I have seen a person laugh for hours, only to then turn to crying, then scream and yell nonsensically, then back to calm......

I see perfectly happy psychotic patients alot too......just laugh and talk to people who do not exist except in their own mind.

I have a patient who talks to "Daddy" everyday...daddy is God and she is his daughter(according to her).

I guess you could construe "mad" in many different ways, but when you see someone, who for lack of a better term is "mad"---none of it makes sense---but it is the reality of that person and when they are sick and not medicated (and even after they are medicated). Trying to convince them otherwise is challenging.

Wild

Angry

Foolish

Peculiar

Fierce

Absurd

Outrageous

Passionate

Insane

Strange

Edgy

Obsessive

Wacky

Sick

Crazy

Relentless

Bizarre

Ridiculous

Intense

Chatoic

Senseless

Odd

Fanatical

Uncontrolled

Take your pick.

You forgot ... SICK NASTY

This has always been the case, some years more than others.

So, nothing new to see here, move along! :sad:

Hey come to think of it St Anns uniform was pretty close to the same except in red...lol......ok i will move on as ordered...lol :tongue:

PS love the show though

Mike

It's all of the above. It seems like you're stuck because you're looking for a singular answer. The show offers depictions of various meanings of the word "mad"

It's all of the above. It seems like you're stuck because you're looking for a singular answer. The show offers depictions of various meanings of the word "mad"

Perhaps so. Maybe I'm looking too hard trying to figure out what the design team intended. Anyways, it's a cool show, no matter what. :sad:

Mike