Please limit the number in the Pit

PIT MEMBERS DO NOT LOOK DOWN THE ENTIRE SHOW.

And drum corps is definitely a MUSIC FIRST activity.

Item 1: Give the pit members Carolina Crown shakos with those giant plumes. We shall see about their head carriage.

Item 2: Compare DVD sales to CD sales and tell me which product sells more, the visual product or the audio product?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Item 1: Give the pit members Carolina Crown shakos with those giant plumes. We shall see about their head carriage.

Item 2: Compare DVD sales to CD sales and tell me which product sells more, the visual product or the audio product?

That's the thing. Pit members don't need shakos. There really isn't a point for them to have them. I don't know if it's like a tradition thing or who started pit's not doing hats thing, but to me it works better for them not to wear them and looks better too.

And DVD to CD sales is irrelevant, there's more factors to deal with like people's tastes, the corps's drill, etc..

For a valid comparison you would have to sell DVD's with just the video and no sound at all.

Somebody before hit on it; a change in taste occurred and the members on the field started MOVING FAST. As that occurred, a shift in musical arrangements occurred to make that possible.

If you want to get rid of the pit, then you've gotta get rid of the hornline's ability to move fast on the field.

Has this shift made the activity accessible to a wider audience? I think so. To the average person (who as we know has absolutely no musical taste), they're going to get excited by the hornline creating energy with their movement and velocity while playing less involved parts, and they won't know that the horn book may not be the hardest thing in the world because they'll still be satisfied with the overall musical product.

I think people that don't appreciate the pit would be amazed if they heard a top 5 show from last year, then heard that same show with just horns/drums. It would probably be surprisingly boring to listen to.

Edited by Derek Smith

Somebody before hit on it; a change in taste occurred and the members on the field started MOVING FAST. As that occurred, a shift in musical arrangements occurred to make that possible.

If you want to get rid of the pit, then you've gotta get rid of the hornline's ability to move fast on the field.

Has this shift made the activity accessible to a wider audience? I think so. To the average person (who as we know has absolutely no musical taste), they're going to get excited by the hornline creating energy with their movement and velocity while playing less involved parts, and they won't know that the horn book may not be the hardest thing in the world because they'll still be satisfied with the overall musical product.

I think people that don't appreciate the pit would be amazed if they heard a top 5 show from last year, then heard that same show with just horns/drums. It would probably be surprisingly boring to listen to.

Take 2008 for example. Samurai and Spartacus

Care to point us to the line of the proposal that states that? You post this often enough. I don't recall seeing it in the proposal. It very well may be there; I just don't recall seeing it.

if I could find the original proposal sure would, because we discussed ad nauseum back then...and of course you took the contrary position, because, well, that's what you do

and for the record, I am a huge fan of the pit, and I can tolerate it being amped as long as the speakers are the only thing plugged in.

but don't try and tell me balance is judged, because i saw and heard a pit that overpowered a 72 person brass section in a big stadium last year...for the whole show...and the unit got 19's in the upstairs music captions.