DCI,1993 Star and Carolina Crown 200? and...

the biggest shift in the activity is the power of visual over music.

listen to a music tape...all kinds of comments about the physical responsibilities and how it may affect the musical performance

listen to a visual tape...little to no reference to the musical responsibilities and how it may affect the visual performance

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps people think Star so significant because it reflected a shift for them. They had done three very hard shows in 90, 91, and 92, but they were fairly accessible, esp the loathsome 1992 show. The 93 show was virtuostic in construction and virtuosticlly performed, and almost deliberately esoteric, with the cream colored uniforms on the corps and black leotards on the guard serving as a sort of canvas. Sky Ryders (in 85 and esp 86) had examined a linear show down to the molecular level, but I think this show may have been the first to do it with an abstract show.

ITT: people don't understand the concept of paragraphs.

Sometimes I wonder of people have an ellipsis key on their keyboard that makes that kind of typing easier. Seems like it would be such an effort.

Also, by the looks of this thread, it is contagious! I'm going to go wash my hands.

Edited by mingusmonk

t is that when Star left DCI, their staff utilized all the great visual, creative moves that Corps in the 70's and 80's used.... then instituted some of their own creative ideas with that.... and moved Drum Corps inside a theatre.... and took an essentially traditional Drum Corps show, added some nice sound effects and props and made an international, decade long award winning hit with their mostly traditional based elements of a Drum Corps show and called it " BLAST ! ". They used guard, percussion, brass in a MOST creative way... and in a brand new VENUE for the genre, including Broadway. In first class theatres... in front of many new fans unfamiliar with Drum Corps , and took it world wide to them too. THIS was new and fresh for the activity. THAT was the" paradigm shift" in the Drum Corps movement that the staff of Star created in my view.

Blast was another example of Star taking drum corps elements that had been done before and simply extending the concept. Blast didn't arrive on Broadway until 2001 (it played in London the previous year) but the Blue Devils had already taken drum corps inside and were doing theater productions in 1997.

...My point is that YES, it was an innovative show. I just think that people had blown this innovation way out of proportion since Star decided to leave.

It's a great point, and one that isn't appreciated enough. Star's '93 show achieved legendary status in part because there was nothing to follow it except expectation. Like Princess Di who never appeared a day older, who never mispoke, who never made a mistake again after that fateful day, it's easy to apply a saintly aspect to the departed great. Not that they don't deserve it or that our feelings are inappropriate.

It's just incomparable. How do you compare one 17-year legacy against the rest when one is tangible and the rest is conjecture? You can't. Star left the activity with a controversial second. The rest of the corps continued to change, applying some lessons from Star while rejecting others. They did the same with lessons from Cadets, BD and other corps too. This wasn't an inflection point except for Star, its fans and detractors.

HH

I guess to me...yes Star may not have won in 1993...but that Corps would still place in the Top 6 today...you can't say that about an 86 devils verse 96 or Garfield 83,84,87 verse 93,94, 97...or better yet...what Corps do you think could have placed in the Top 6....15 years later??? I look at that show and feel that they could still pull off a Top 6 finish today...you really can't say that about alot of Corps...as good as they are for that year and maybe even several years afterward.

Blast was not created overnight. Star of Indiana & the Canadian Brass present An Evening of Brass Theater started in 94'. It was a 2 hour mix of both groups performing themselves as well as together. It was performed on both Bb brass and G bugles, probably the only time we could compare the two horns with the same players and technique on the same night. Brass Theater was a variety mix of drum corps moments and some truly unique productions. They performed in such great venues as Tanglewood and the Lincoln Center. In time the Canadian Brass went their own way and the G horns were dropped. They even grounded the group in Branson for a time. Blast was a distilled and refined version of all that was learned in the Brass Theater years.

SOI cannot be pinned as 'innovating' just about anything. True innovation is a rare and most often un-recognized event. The only real innovation for the time was the fact that the corps had no defined style, or genre. Not even any corps colors. It was the cameleon corps, and though 90 & 91 were decidedly similar, 92' and 93' were conscience shifts in new direction. It would have been interesting to see how that would have worked out in time. It had its pluses and negatives. That Cameleon identity allowed Star to take innovations and ideas from other groups and 'take them to the next level'. The early years of the corps were defined by the influence (and staff members from) The Bridgmen and Garfield. I think 93' is the first true 'Star Style' show. First and last so to speak. Star reached for the stars, but it was no secret we were standing on the shoulders of those who came before.

And that boost is returned. It is startling to realize the number of staff and designers who came out the Star, Brass Theater, & Blast are in the activity. A good deal of Star DNA carries on in corps such as the Blue Stars, Carolina Crown and now the Madison Scouts. Star of Indiana will never be again, but it's influence will be there for some time if you know where to look or listen.

And to whomever said the 92' show was 'loathsome', I humbly ask you go back and watch that one again. Regardless of final finish that is one of the finest G hornlines I have heard and one of Jim Prime's best books. Not to mention the corps was nearly undefeated until semis.

Edited by mchromik

I guess to me...yes Star may not have won in 1993...but that Corps would still place in the Top 6 today...you can't say that about an 86 devils verse 96 or Garfield 83,84,87 verse 93,94, 97...or better yet...what Corps do you think could have placed in the Top 6....15 years later??? I look at that show and feel that they could still pull off a Top 6 finish today...you really can't say that about alot of Corps...as good as they are for that year and maybe even several years afterward.

What corps or what show?

Because BD the 86 show might not win any medals today, great as it was, but I'd stack that group of younglings against any amalgamation of marching flesh in DCI history.

the biggest shift in the activity is the power of visual over music.

listen to a music tape...all kinds of comments about the physical responsibilities and how it may affect the musical performance

listen to a visual tape...little to no reference to the musical responsibilities and how it may affect the visual performance

Agree. That's why when I hear about the off season and I hear how a Corps brass sound... or how the percussion sounds... or that some Corps got a kazillion tubas... or over 80 brass, etc... It doesn't mean a thing. It all about the VISUAL and with Guards now having more soloists out front time wise, than ( say ) brass soloists, it's even more important.

A Corps can have a soso brass and percussion line, and do well if they have a good visual show and guard.

But if they have a good brass and percussion line, but a soso visual show and guard, they'll be in deep dodo.

If people want to tell me how good their Corps s doing in the off season, tell me they have a dynamite guard and visual show. And that the brass and percussion lines can march like nobody's business. While I'm pleased to hear that their brass and percussion lines " are their most talented ever " and the musical selections" are wonderful", and all that, frankly it doesn't mean a hill of beans.

The pathway to high placements and the ultimate Title championship are not done through pleasing the judges ears. They are done primarily through the show being pleasant to the judges eyes, particularly in the all important GE captions.

Edited by BRASSO