Talking G7 shop with Volunteers

I have a friend that is currently volunteering with one of the G7 during every days, and sent that person an email asking if the Volunteers had been informed on how to handle the fans blowback from the G7 proposal. The person responded back, with "What is the G7?" That response actually answered my question; so I requested that the person go ask someone on the Administrative staff. The person emailed back that they happened to be able to speak with the Corps Director himself and the director said, "It is a proposal to help build DCI into a better activity for both the fans and the kids; if you want the details, just read through the explanation on our website." The person then went to a Starbucks with a laptop, got online, and read the letter on the corps website. Then sent me an email stating, "This all sounds great! What do you mean about blowback?" I subsequently asked my friend to read three other things: The actual proposal, the DCW article, and the Dan Acheson response; and gave the person links to the three items. I have yet to receive another email, guessing that the person is way too busy with every days to peruse the internet.

So, if the above paragraph is anywhere close to being typical, more than likely the Volunteers ,and probably the MMs, this summer will either be clueless about this, or at the most only exposed to the spin put out by the G7. Could be wrong about most of them not knowing all sides of the issue, but anyone who has ever been in corps knows that once every days begin, a bubble is created, and the rest of the world disappears for about ten weeks. Point is folks, be very careful what you say and how you say it this summer. If you talk to the volunteers, fine. But, and I know that I am a nobody, but please do not bother the youth MMs with this tripe. They do not need to be engaged in this adult debate. Just my opinion.

Edited by Stu

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

but please do not bother the youth MMs with this tripe. They do not need to be engaged in this adult debate. Just my opinion.

Amen

I have a friend that is currently volunteering with one of the G7 during every days, and sent that person an email asking if the Volunteers had been informed on how to handle the fans blowback from the G7 proposal. The person responded back, with "What is the G7?" That response actually answered my question; so I requested that the person go ask someone on the Administrative staff. The person emailed back that they happened to be able to speak with the Corps Director himself and the director said, "It is a proposal to help build DCI into a better activity for both the fans and the kids; if you want the details, just read through the explanation on our website." The person then went to a Starbucks with a laptop, got online, and read the letter on the corps website. Then sent me an email stating, "This all sounds great! What do you mean about blowback?" I subsequently asked my friend to read three other things: The actual proposal, the DCW article, and the Dan Acheson response; and gave the person links to the three items. I have yet to receive another email, guessing that the person is way too busy with every days to peruse the internet.

So, if the above paragraph is anywhere close to being typical, more than likely the Volunteers ,and probably the MMs, this summer will either be clueless about this, or at the most only exposed to the spin put out by the G7. Could be wrong about most of them not knowing all sides of the issue, but anyone who has ever been in corps knows that once every days begin, a bubble is created, and the rest of the world disappears for about ten weeks. Point is folks, be very careful what you say and how you say it this summer. If you talk to the volunteers, fine. But, and I know that I am a nobody, but please do not bother the youth MMs with this tripe. They do not need to be engaged in this adult debate. Just my opinion.

Well said, Stu! Couldn't add a thing. :tongue:

But, and I know that I am a nobody, but please do not bother the youth MMs with this tripe. They do not need to be engaged in this adult debate. Just my opinion.

I agree. No matter how one feels about the G7 proposal, the volunteers are there working hard, doing whatever they can for the people who really matter, and in my opinion they're the last people who should be bothered with this stuff. Wanna gripe about the G7? Take it to the people directly responsible. You may not get the response you like, but that's no reason to take it out on people who have nothing to do with it.

Edited by byline

I agree 100%.

You have an issue with it, send emails to the directors.

* Edited from another thread *

Agree..... Probably the souvie people and other volunteers know about issues or at least the details. Volunteers I have talked to over the years are just help helping out the group and have no or very little idea what goes on behind the scenes. Or could really care less outside of helping with their group.

Would be like someone asking why I am supporting the Obama gov't because <insert rant here> since I am a Federal Employee.

Agree. All this talk that they'd be booing of the G-7 Corps, and that fans would be nasty, or that things would get ugly, and so forth,was just so much utter nonsense. Maybe a few non G-7 Corps marchers might find a bit of extra motivation when hearing of it, but other than that small effect, this whole nastiness prediction we'd see and hear on the part of a few fans toward the G-7 Corps at shows this year was just so ridiculous. Some people have a real negative few of the typical DCI fans that we see at shows over the years that is not shared my me.

The G-7 Corps marchers have nothing to be concerned with regarding the " potential for a blowback " this year with the fans. Not at all. All the G-7 stuff will be handled properly off the field, imo... as it should be.

I posted the below earlier today, in a different thread but it has just as much relevance here...

Why in the world would anyone want to confront a MM? The audition process and most of the winter camps were long completed by the time the "G7" debacle came out of the bag...I wouldn't expect a MM to just toss 6 months of hard work, plus whatever expense they already incurred for the auditions and attending camps, because they don't agree with a proposal that has no bearing whatsoever on this year's program. In the same vein, many of the souvie people and other volunteers had probably already committed to the corps before this whole thing happened...and even if they hadn't, they are doing it this year at least, FOR THE KIDS. As for the future, if this thing passes or G7 breaks off and goes their own way, THEN MM and volunteers know what they are getting into, with eyes wide open. Still not condoning abusing them then either, if you don't like the concept-don't go. If they have enough empty stadium seats, they'll have their answer; if not, they'll have "super band" and we'll still have drum corps.

The sad thing about this is that this corps director is acting like an ostrich with his head stuck in the sand. If the corps' volunteers aren't aware of the G7 debate now, they will receive a "baptism by fire" once the season begins and they start getting "feedback" from the public-even the relatively small segment that is active on DCP and quite familiar with the proposal and debate. Sounds like this spineless individual is prepared to let his volunteers take the heat for something that he hoped they wouldn't know about. I almost gagged when I read the part above about being a better activity "for the fans"; if he had any guts he would have told them it was for the benefit of 7 corps and explained what the proposal was, instead of sending them off to "read the corps website".

The sad thing about this is that this corps director is acting like an ostrich with his head stuck in the sand. If the corps' volunteers aren't aware of the G7 debate now, they will receive a "baptism by fire" once the season begins and they start getting "feedback" from the public-even the relatively small segment that is active on DCP and quite familiar with the proposal and debate. Sounds like this spineless individual is prepared to let his volunteers take the heat for something that he hoped they wouldn't know about. I almost gagged when I read the part above about being a better activity "for the fans"; if he had any guts he would have told them it was for the benefit of 7 corps and explained what the proposal was, instead of sending them off to "read the corps website".

I cannot believe I am typing this, but in defense of the G7 director (ouch, that hurt) every days are currently going on; and I am positive that the director does not have time to field individual questions in an in depth manner; ergo sending my volunteer friend to the corps web site makes sense to me. However, that does not excuse the director from taking time to create a formal meeting with the volunteers to go over how to respond this summer if they are accosted. Hopefully that type of meeting will occur prior to tour.