Satellite Radio

This may be beating a dead horse, but I haven't seen many topics discussing this. Maybe I have been away too long and haven't seen the chit chat (highly possible). Or maybe the overall expense of this venture deems it unthinkable.

I have a simple question:

Would you subscribe to XM/Sirius radio if they offered a channel that played drum corps?

Would it have to be all drum corps all the time, or could it be a combo of drum corps/marching band called "Company Front Radio"?

For me, I would definitely consider it. I am a big Parrot Head (read Jimmy Buffett fan), so I listen to Radio Margaritaville whenever I get the chance. Add a station that played drum corps and I would be a happy man.

Pricing? Well, assuming you would have to at least subscribe to the "XM everything" plan, it would cost you $13.00 a month. Not horrendous.

Of course you would need an XM radio. Most of us who have purchased a new car in the past 5 years already have one in our vehicle. Smart Phone users can download a free "app". XM stand-alone radios are a little pricey, I'll admit.

Just throwing this out there for discussion. I have no idea how much it would cost DCI to even support such an idea, but it would be one heck of a marketing tool. Not to mention Stevon (pronounced Steev On) Rondo could have a daily show.

p.s. Lakers = boooooo!

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Id definitely like that. I'm already an XM subscriber.

forgive my ignorance. Whats XM radio?

Why subscribe to something when Diceman is free?

XM=satellite radio.

I already have it, but here's the question...how much would DCI/DCA and the corps have to pay to run it? Not only that, would it be beneficial for the company to run it?

sure they have an 80's channel, a 70's channel. Stern, Bubba, Rosie, etc...but that stuff has followings that are, to be honest, much larger than drum corps.

I'm not seeing the attraction for Sirius/XM in a way that is profitable...they are already watching every penny after signing some stupid deals like Oprah

Very true JR. Drum corps will always be the little niche activity with maybe 50k fans worldwide. And I of course have no idea how much it costs to run a satellite radio station.

Like you said, XM/Sirius is floundering, so why not add every possible subscriber they can get their hands on? It seems to me, if the drum corps big wigs could pull it off, this would be the biggest marketing tool they would have, being as the only other tool at there disposal is the Internet. Live feeds, historical performances, cadences, sneak previews...all things the above-average corps fans could really sink their teeth into.

And if you make it a combined marching band/drum corps channel, your audience increases. I'm guessing there are around 100 major university marching bands, each with at least 100 members. That's 10000 unique marching members every 4 years. That plus all the high school band students could equal quite a number when it comes to a potential listening audience.

I know this is a pipe dream, but it's sure fun to think about.

if I could just get diceman on my droid...

Already an XM customer, but if I weren't and I heard about a drum corps channel, I'd buy into XM in a heartbeat JUST for that.