Looked at the numbers- I believe they very much described what happened. Keep in mind the brass and percussion people don't give a fig about how many people fall unless it affects the performance musically. They DO give a fig though if their safety is in jepoardy and if need be, will say the heck with the show and get them out of there if they don't get up/recover. Only had one close call over the years, and am thankful I didn't have to get that clarinet player off the field... scary. Was the field turf or a choppy grass surface? if the field was poor, falling isn't as frowned upon, even though everyone does have to march into the same chuckholes....

I think the visual numbers were very appropo for the issues brought up. The numbers were below that 80 by a solid margin. For that matter, performance numbers were below the 80 mark in many of the subcations, it was book that was over. Nothing out of sort.

And really, given the general range of finals numbers-- 15 to 18 points is plenty of room for growth over the next 6-7 weeks. From that perspective, the 80 isn't bad. There will be more growth out of visual numbers than that (20 or more points), plenty of room to work with.

And finally, Fran can tell you how a certain DCA corps won the first contest by over 5 poiints, and even more than that against his corps, and how Sun still overcame the gap by season's end. It's not an impossibility. It's been done before. No reason for everyone to walk off and shake their heads in frustration about anything... :laughing:

I can tell you about losing to a corps by 5 points one week and then beating them the next week as well as losing by 14 points early in the season and coming back to win DCA. Could it be done today, time will tell.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Before you did your mad scientist calculations, you should have taken note of the word "Variations", although playing Malaguena and or Pictures of Spain more than once every four years also seems excessive, no? If you would add in Malaga and all the other songs based on the phrygian mode that sound remarkably like Pictures of Spain, I think you would get a result more like 70 - 80 % of the time.

BTW, you wouldn't happen to know a guy named Dale Bari would you? :laughing:

Hmm let's see the years that Cabs have played Pictures of Spain or Malaguena in the last 4 decades

2008(M), 2002(P), 1996(M), 1995(M), 1994(P), 1991(P), 1990(M), 1985(M), 1984(M), 1981(M), 1980(M).

So in the last 40 years both of those songs have been played a total of 11 times (or 27.5% of the time) In the last 10 years, its been done twice (pictures once and Malaguena once). In the time you've mentioned they also played non latin stuff mixed in such as the 1812 overture, Sabre Dance, Night on Bald Mountain etc.

Sure if this were 1997 I'd probably agree with you, that (Malaguena especially) was overplayed by the Cabs in recent memory. However (like it or not) if you want the Cabs to play Egyptian Music, or West Side Story you're going to get years like they had in 2005 (scores and support in the crapper) and 1993 (the one year uniform change) respectively. One could make the argument against a number of certain corps who have overplayed certain charts through the years (Bucs Russian Sailors Dance, Hurcs Mag 7, Empire My Way, Sky New York New York etc.) but no one mentions them, it's always Cabs who get the ****, ****, **** same old **** **** **** same old ****, treatment.

I applaud the Cabs for doing something VERY outside the box for them, with the exception of the Rumps (which again I think plays into their identity theme).

Again I'm not promoting the Cabs should have won, I have NEVER said that. What I am saying is that the idea that a show about the identity of a corps, who has always played Latin music is NOT going to be Latin, is completely ludicrous.

As someone else said, PLEASE get back to the reviews so that I don't think I'm crazy and saw something that no one else saw!

See ... people aren't sick of the Bucs, they're sick of VOReason.

Nobody from any other "dynasty" (member, staff, fan, cheerleader, etc.) ever came out with "Too bad for you - we're great - and if you don't think so, you're an idiot."

Tommie! How have you been? Did they finally lift the gag order in the northern tier?

Elphaba said:

Caballeros Alumni did an excellent job. Had some 50+ horns and a complete Olde Style" (Come "Off the Line" with a Company Front to the "50"!!!) drill and music from years gone by. HUGE drum line and CG. Music included: "LaMancha", "MacArtuurther Park", "Don't Cry For Me Argentina" and another "Company Front" 'push' for finale of "Flamenco Cha Cha".

Jimmy Russo still "On the Podium". Soloists (Curt, George, Steve, Duke) were outstanding, and they recieved a great crowd response.

Elphaba

Thank you, Elphaba! Your comments and praise are much appreciated. Glad you enjoyed our show. The only song of ours you didn't mention, and I only bring it up because it is one of my favorites, was "I Go to Rio." As always, we enjoy playing for the crowd. Thanks again!

So that's the excuse? Not holding water here. They fell because the drill was above their head or they were not prepared properly. Take your pick.

Or it was the 1st show :tongue:

So that's the excuse? Not holding water here. They fell because the drill was above their head or they were not prepared properly. Take your pick.

REALLY b/c last time i checked CADETS FAN ppl FALL ask the cadets at finals last year event the great fall and that was on turf???.. I mean but u would know that since your such a fan.