WHAT no wild reviews?

OK back to the original topic........and about a week late!

I've read most of the posts in this thread, but not all, so apologies if I "ditto" anyone else. I'll be very brief.

Fusion corps

Only seen these guys a couple of times so I wasn't sure what to expect. Pleasantly surprised with the performance level and work ethic of the group. Won't comment on drumming because I'm a horn/ensemble kinda guy. But the group had it pretty much together and in pretty good shape for the first show of the year. I think they will do well by DCA. (told you it would be brief).

Bush...........don't know what to say. They always have a show on the edge and that's what I like about them. I loved last year's phsychotic circus and as rough as it was at Wildwood 2009, I could see something that made me think it would be great by Sept, and it was. This year? At the end of the performance several of us just looked at each other with question marks on our faces. I'm sorry but I didn't "get it" and even if I did, I couldn't see where it might go. They ran out of gas a little too, but again that's normal for most corps this time of year........stamina isn't there yet. I did speak to someone from the judging community who disagreed with my opinion on "no where to go" so hopefully come Sept, I'll be surprised.

Bucs............been to Wildwood every year since I hung up the dingles........always very impressed with Bucs and usually comment that they are in mid August form already. Not so this year. First 2/3 of show was very strong and brought goose bumps at all the right times. (however, someone must have been doing a lot of push-ups later, or something, because there was a bari or mellophone that blew right through the release of the biggest impact in the opener............ouch!). However the last 1/3 of the show was challenging, with ensemble pulls and decidedly lower quality than the front 2/3rds. If Bucs can be beat, this might be the year........never said that in the last few, so its not a bias to anyone else, but Minn Brass, Empire and Cabs may have a shot.

Cabs............again based on previous year's experience, I think Cabs are a lot farther along than in the past few years. Don't recognize a lot of the music, but it does have its modulations from excitement to serenity (wow big words for me). Show seemed a lot cleaner too, and the way the "rumps" were worked into the show was cool. Several individuals had a rough night, but all in all very well done. Horn line was plenty loud, while still in tune at times too.

Bottom line, I think Fusion should have been much closer to Bush as they were just as clean and polished as Bush. I thought last year's spread between Cabs and Bucs was a real gift for Cabs (sorry guys.......but that was last year), as it could have been 8pts in my book. But this year with the let down of Bucs last 1/3 of the show, and Cabs strong, start to finish, I thought 2-3 pts would have been a maximum spread. Of course, I've already said I'm not a drummer and maybe there was a big spread there (not in the recaps, but in ensemble mix and GE).

Better late than never..........can't wait 'til next year on the Jersey shore!!

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK back to the original topic........and about a week late!

I've read most of the posts in this thread, but not all, so apologies if I "ditto" anyone else. I'll be very brief.

Fusion corps

Only seen these guys a couple of times so I wasn't sure what to expect. Pleasantly surprised with the performance level and work ethic of the group. Won't comment on drumming because I'm a horn/ensemble kinda guy. But the group had it pretty much together and in pretty good shape for the first show of the year. I think they will do well by DCA. (told you it would be brief).

Bush...........don't know what to say. They always have a show on the edge and that's what I like about them. I loved last year's phsychotic circus and as rough as it was at Wildwood 2009, I could see something that made me think it would be great by Sept, and it was. This year? At the end of the performance several of us just looked at each other with question marks on our faces. I'm sorry but I didn't "get it" and even if I did, I couldn't see where it might go. They ran out of gas a little too, but again that's normal for most corps this time of year........stamina isn't there yet. I did speak to someone from the judging community who disagreed with my opinion on "no where to go" so hopefully come Sept, I'll be surprised.

Bucs............been to Wildwood every year since I hung up the dingles........always very impressed with Bucs and usually comment that they are in mid August form already. Not so this year. First 2/3 of show was very strong and brought goose bumps at all the right times. (however, someone must have been doing a lot of push-ups later, or something, because there was a bari or mellophone that blew right through the release of the biggest impact in the opener............ouch!). However the last 1/3 of the show was challenging, with ensemble pulls and decidedly lower quality than the front 2/3rds. If Bucs can be beat, this might be the year........never said that in the last few, so its not a bias to anyone else, but Minn Brass, Empire and Cabs may have a shot.

Cabs............again based on previous year's experience, I think Cabs are a lot farther along than in the past few years. Don't recognize a lot of the music, but it does have its modulations from excitement to serenity (wow big words for me). Show seemed a lot cleaner too, and the way the "rumps" were worked into the show was cool. Several individuals had a rough night, but all in all very well done. Horn line was plenty loud, while still in tune at times too.

Bottom line, I think Fusion should have been much closer to Bush as they were just as clean and polished as Bush. I thought last year's spread between Cabs and Bucs was a real gift for Cabs (sorry guys.......but that was last year), as it could have been 8pts in my book. But this year with the let down of Bucs last 1/3 of the show, and Cabs strong, start to finish, I thought 2-3 pts would have been a maximum spread. Of course, I've already said I'm not a drummer and maybe there was a big spread there (not in the recaps, but in ensemble mix and GE).

Better late than never..........can't wait 'til next year on the Jersey shore!!

Yeah - but what does this review have to do with 1981?

No one was compaining when the Cabs were kicking butt in the 70's. Granted, it wasn't a five year streak but, if you want to be the best, you've got to beat the best. Right now from a programming perspective, its the Bucs. I want the rest to step up their game. I believe last year they did. Now, they'll have to do it again. There is nothing wrong with that.

Edited by Rocketman

No one was compaining when the Cabs were kicking butt in the 70's. Granted, it wasn't a five year streak but, if you want to be the best, you've got to beat the best. Right now from a programming perspective, its the Bucs. I want the rest to step up their game. I believe last year they did. Now, they'll have to do it again. There is nothing wrong with that.

Al Gore hadn't invented the internet yet, so we have no idea who was and was't complaining :thumbup:

Al Gore hadn't invented the internet yet, so we have no idea who was and was't complaining :worthy:

:thumbup::tongue::tongue::worthy:

Al Gore hadn't invented the internet yet, so we have no idea who was and was't complaining :blink:

True, but back then DCN & DCW did publish "letters to the editior," unlike the more recent desire to be politically correct, negative commentary appears to be frowned upon.

Edited by Rocketman

Right now from a programming perspective, its the Bucs. I want the rest to step up their game. I believe last year they did. Now, they'll have to do it again. There is nothing wrong with that.

I don't get/don't like this. All of the other corps could march, drum, play, and spin better, but the corps with "better programming" wins? :rolleyes:

I don't get/don't like this. All of the other corps could march, drum, play, and spin better, but the corps with "better programming" wins? :tongue:

But the the other corps didn't all "march, drum, play, and spin better" than Bucs, so there lies the rub.

I don't get/don't like this. All of the other corps could march, drum, play, and spin better, but the corps with "better programming" wins? :sleeping:

Not saying that at all. Programming includes how well the corps executes (at least it use to). However, if a "program" is deemed by the judging community as "better" AND they execute, generally, they will win. I don't know if an argument can be made that in the past 5 years, the Bucs "programing" hasn't been the best. Though best is a relative/subjective term. Additionally, they have been able to take a "better/best" program and execute. What more can you ask for?

Don't be haters! Ride the big blue wave!

Not saying that at all. Programming includes how well the corps executes (at least it use to). However, if a "program" is deemed by the judging community as "better" AND they execute, generally, they will win. I don't know if an argument can be made that in the past 5 years, the Bucs "programing" hasn't been the best. Though best is a relative/subjective term. Additionally, they have been able to take a "better/best" program and execute. What more can you ask for?

Don't be haters! Ride the big blue wave!

Thing is at this past week's show they weren't executing it all around in every area IMO.