It happened once. But it happened. I remember. I never said we were booed, either, but I remember prelims 2003...

I am not trying to make this a big deal here, it's really not, I'm just saying, Bucs wouldn't get that kind of negative response today. Mostly now people just whine and hides behind their computers.

I thought "yell bad stuff" equaled booing.

The way you wrote it I wouldn't have thought it was a one time occurrence but something that happened regularly. I'm sure every corps can attest to something very negative happening to them once or more. I'm not saying what happened didn't suck, but I really doubt you can say it as if it just happened to your corps. I know that we saw it when I was marching and we weren't anybody to be hated because of a winning streak. Personally I'd rather have a beer can chucked at me than to be sprayed by a water gun filled with bleach.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought "yell bad stuff" equaled booing.

The way you wrote it I wouldn't have thought it was a one time occurrence but something that happened regularly. I'm sure every corps can attest to something very negative happening to them once or more. I'm not saying what happened didn't suck, but I really doubt you can say it as if it just happened to your corps. I know that we saw it when I was marching and we weren't anybody to be hated because of a winning streak. Personally I'd rather have a beer can chucked at me than to be sprayed by a water gun filled with bleach.

Yes, yes...

Sorry to be misleading. I am just not used to translating my thoughts to the DCP regulars anymore. Gotta be more specific. I know... I know...

And I also should have written: "it also probably happened to a lot of corps since 1940, but I only know DCA since 1999 so please don't think I am ignoring every other corps that it happened to, I am talk about Brigs here" Because Jeff made a comparison to Bucs and Brigs.

Edited by Brigscontrachik05

I think a lot of people are making a lot of something out of nothing in June to be honest.

and yeah remember the ########s fighting down front at prelims.

I've seen much worse elsewhere, and I don't condone it anywhere, but the amount of fights I have seen at a drum corps show pales to other "sports"

Thank you, Elphaba! Your comments and praise are much appreciated. Glad you enjoyed our show. The only song of ours you didn't mention, and I only bring it up because it is one of my favorites, was "I Go to Rio." As always, we enjoy playing for the crowd. Thanks again!

Thank goodness for "Rio." I've been humming it since the Alumni's rehearsal Saturday. Makes everyone smile. People used to think I was weird when I hummed Respighi. I'm just saying. :tongue:

I was there. Loved the show. Placements were right; spread not so much. Looking forward to watching all four shows develop. Not a fan of Surf's piano. I swear I saw the bari soloist morph into Ray Charles. Alumni was their usual awesome. I think I'll marry the new contra player :tongue: . Oh wait... :blink:

I miss the days when everyone's review of Wildwood looked like Fran's! Make nice kids, there's still a lot of summer to go.

I miss the days when everyone's review of Wildwood looked like Fran's!

I've pretty much decided to stick with "food only" reviews on here..... LOL

Like my signature says, I love corps as well. I'm very excited to see everyone at the Grand Prix. I'm still sticking with the majority here. Sounds like Reading may have pushed as far as they can. Cabs have been the giant killer before, and I don't see why it couldn't be possible now. Streaks have been broken before. I'm still curious about the spread. It seems the Cabs are on the move. If Reading show was what most have reported, they have their work cut out for them. 5 points is a big spread to keep. Especially if the number wasn't earned. May be foolish to put that kind of burdon on them.
Maybe it's just me, but I think it's kinda' foolish to think that Bucs winning their first show by 5+ points, sweeping every caption, over a corps who was presumed to be one of the top contenders, is a terrible cross to bear. And yes, the Cabs do appear to be on the move....just not in the direction that they, their fans, or even I for that matter, would have hoped. I suppose you think the Wildwood result put the Cabs in an enviable position???

is it Barnum yet?

technically, yes....

Barnum Website

Before you did your mad scientist calculations, you should have taken note of the word "Variations", although playing Malaguena and or Pictures of Spain more than once every four years also seems excessive, no? If you would add in Malaga and all the other songs based on the phrygian mode that sound remarkably like Pictures of Spain, I think you would get a result more like 70 - 80 % of the time.

BTW, you wouldn't happen to know a guy named Dale Bari would you? :tongue:

I think with his newest additions he only has to count to two instead of his usual calculations!

Also I didn't notice any licks from Malaguena or Pictures at all in this years show, but then again it was the first time I'd heard it outside of what they'd put on youtube.

Heck, Westshore got Booed at the '82 Grand Prix when we came on- we knew why, we laughed, they got more crazy. We weren't offended, more amused and we used that as fuel to win the show IIRC.

And really, I don't think anyone should be offended by most of what's been said if they're performing. I'd say the general consensus is- everyone's off to a good start, people would like to see them all perform again (and believe me, there are some corps over the years, that you see once and end up indifferent or worse towards the show), and everyone knows there's a lot of work to do.

And really, most people know DCA has some very fervent fans for certain groups, you roll with it- keep working, try to get the rest of the crowd on your side with quality performances and enjoy the experience.

And it was good to hear some of the reactions from some of the new people performing-- it's great to hear and see a crowd sincerely getting into your vibe that's not just parents clapping for the home team. Maybe that needs to be one of the selling points for the activity. :sad: