Heck, Westshore got Booed at the '82 Grand Prix when we came on- we knew why, we laughed, they got more crazy. We weren't offended, more amused and we used that as fuel to win the show IIRC.

And really, I don't think anyone should be offended by most of what's been said if they're performing. I'd say the general consensus is- everyone's off to a good start, people would like to see them all perform again (and believe me, there are some corps over the years, that you see once and end up indifferent or worse towards the show), and everyone knows there's a lot of work to do.

And really, most people know DCA has some very fervent fans for certain groups, you roll with it- keep working, try to get the rest of the crowd on your side with quality performances and enjoy the experience.

And it was good to hear some of the reactions from some of the new people performing-- it's great to hear and see a crowd sincerely getting into your vibe that's not just parents clapping for the home team. Maybe that needs to be one of the selling points for the activity. :sad:

Man how do you people remember that far back.....and in detail......lol..im lucky i remember yesterday.....hmmmmm

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man how do you people remember that far back.....and in detail......lol..im lucky i remember yesterday.....hmmmmm

Dude, you stand at attention in Giants Stadium while you're being introduced and have 5ishK thousand people booing, you remember. Certain things, you will always remember. :sad:

I did six years of it, and left at 21 years old. In other words, to that time, I spent over a quarter of my life in the Westshoremen and all of my young adult life there. That's a serious chunk of life to that point, how can you forget it? :sad:

We rehearsed so much and in detail when we so stuff in Alumni we correct the scores and still remember changes. The music becomes an integral part of you forever. :tongue:

amen. I can Play Suite for Jazz from memory.

20 years after I played it the first time

maybe ive just done too much .. i remember some things but never details..lol..i guess for me when one thing is done I move on... But thats cool to have such vivid memories...good and bad i guess.

I didnt mean it to sound like it was a bad thing. I just find it so funny when someone remembers 1970 in such detail..lol

maybe ive just done too much .. i remember some things but never details..lol..i guess for me when one thing is done I move on... But thats cool to have such vivid memories...good and bad i guess.

I didnt mean it to sound like it was a bad thing. I just find it so funny when someone remembers 1970 in such detail..lol

I'm right there with you, I can't remember what the corps played last year, and I'm not kidding. :tongue:

I agree with a lot of what the previous poster said.

Sitting in the crowd and hearing "This is gonna be close" coming from Bucs Alumni in the stands and after hearing 75 for Cabs hearing "Ok 76.15" as a potential score, EVERYONE I believe was shocked at the spread between Bucs and Cabs. As the previous poster pointed out I thought it was going to be a toss up for who was going to win the show. After seeing the spread I literally have to ask myself if there is any way that anyone could possibly beat Reading this year? To me, having watched Reading's shows since 2005 this is the closest anyone has come to knocking them off at any show I've been to (and I've been to a lot). To have them down 5 is absolutely insane. As a fan who enjoys competition I would like to ask DCA at what point does competition come into play when it comes to scoring. Having completely no bias towards either corps I would have had the corps divided by less than a point. If Reading had won by less than a point, I would have agreed. Had Cabs won by less than a point, I would have agreed. But to say there was 5 points different between them is telling me "I should just save my money and stay home because if the 1995 Madison Scouts came out they would not beat Reading". What is it going to take for someone to beat them, because honestly at this point, I think it is absolutely impossible.

Nose... Aren't you a staff member for the Cabs this year?

I'm right there with you, I can't remember what the corps played last year, and I'm not kidding. :thumbup:

But the older you get, it gets easier to remember stuff that happened years ago and the short term starts to go. :devil: Well..... you can remember some stuff from years past, usually the weird stuff that just stands out. Fer'instance I can remember a lot of funny corps stuff from the 70s but what we played just kind of runs together. :worthy:

Think about that the mornings I can't find I work ID badge and try (emphasis on TRY) to retrace my steps from the evening before. :tongue:

Wildwood weekend review:

Oh yeah... there was a drum corps show in town, too. LOL

With such a busy Wildwood schedule... I hear you did get to see the Drum Corps show somehow. :rock:

(good hearing you and Barb had a great time! :tongue: )

Absolutely true, Dave...... been there, done that, too.

1977... we had people coming up to us (Sunrisers) and praising us because we were the corps that year that had a chance to knock the Caballeros out of first place, after the Cabs' multiple-title run in the 1970s.

Then in 1979, after we had won two straight DCA titles, some of those same people were rooting against us. As it turned out, we obliged them by finishing third that year. LOL

Yea, because the Bucs and Cabs used Kryptonite! (against our "Superman"....hehe)

From Ron Allard's site; http://diceman-radio.com/SrCorps/dca1970.htm

1979 DCA Championships

September 2 - Hershey Park Stadium - Hershey, Pennsylvania

Finals

Recaps: http://diceman-radio.com/SrCorps/1979f.htm

1 Reading Buccaneers (-0.3) 90.50

2 Hawthorne Caballeros (-0.1) 89.25

3 Long Island Sunrisers (-0.1) 88.30

4 New York Skyliners (-0.9) 82.95

5 Connecticut Hurricanes (-0.4) 78.65

6 Westshoremen (-0.2) 76.95

7 Rochester Crusaders (-0.1) 71.25

8 Erie Thunderbirds (-0.2) 67.95

9 La Clique Allouette (-0.2) 63.60

10 Rhode Island Matadors (-0.1) 60.20

Visual: Buccaneers

Percussion: Sunrisers

Brass: Buccaneers

GE: Buccaneers

Color Guard: Buccaneers

Drum Major: George Parks, Buccaneers

(*Buccaneers received Perfect Scores in: Content Analysis, GE Brass, and GE Visual)

Prelims

Recaps: http://diceman-radio.com/SrCorps/1979p.htm

1 Reading Buccaneers (-0.2) 86.65

2 Hawthorne Caballeros (-0.5) 86.10

3 Long Island Sunrisers (-0.1) 85.25

4 New York Skyliners (-0.2) 84.55

5 Connecticut Hurricanes (-0.5) 78.15

6 Westshoremen (-0.5) 76.10

7 Rochester Crusaders (-0.1) 69.85

8 Erie Thunderbirds (-0.4) 69.05

9 La Clique Allouette (-0.2) 66.90

10 Rhode Island Matadors (-0.1) 61.80