Santa Clara Vanguard 2010

So, when do we get to see the closer? This show is outstanding, and parts are hilarious! Nice work to SCV.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I guess not every show can be simplistic and crowd pandering. God forbid something should be intellectually challenging and force the audience to absorb the content and think about the presentation for a bit past the initial fifteen minute performance.

With the audiences getting smaller and smaller, a little pandering should be in order.

Why do you think Blast! was so successful with the general public? Sure, they had a couple of pieces that made you think, but then they blew the walls down with "Malaguena". Made people laugh with "Krupke". Made them feel warm and fuzzy with "Land of Make Believe".

There are no warm fuzzies to be had with this year's show. And it's kind of sad.

With the audiences getting smaller and smaller, a little pandering should be in order.

Why do you think Blast! was so successful with the general public? Sure, they had a couple of pieces that made you think, but then they blew the walls down with "Malaguena". Made people laugh with "Krupke". Made them feel warm and fuzzy with "Land of Make Believe".

There are no warm fuzzies to be had with this year's show. And it's kind of sad.

I wouldn't say quite that. There are some parts of the show that get the audience to laugh i.e. the 'whack-a-mole' sequence. And the closer isn't being performed yet. Who knows what SCV has in store for us (especially since the finale from Bartok's concerto for orchestra has the makings of an incredible closer).

I don't really know what I think of this show yet. I DID realize one thing tonight though:

This show makes me really uncomfortable...and that's the point.

Edited by DanjrusMcRynky

I wouldn't say quite that. There are some parts of the show that get the audience to laugh i.e. the 'whack-a-mole' sequence. And the closer isn't being performed yet. Who knows what SCV has in store for us (especially since the finale from Bartok's concerto for orchestra has the makings of an incredible closer).

I laughed at that, too, but you can't see that when you're listening to the CD in your car. And you're right about judging without hearing the closer.

Dont get me wrong, I love the Bartok show. But I was thinking, why not do "Love Never Dies" to mirror their '88 and '89 "Phantom of the Opera" shows, seeing as they did the PotO shows right as it came out, LND is the sequel to PotO, and LND music was released this year? And then throw on top of that the fact that the '89 production was one of the best, if not THE best, show in DCI history. :tongue:

Dont get me wrong, I love the Bartok show. But I was thinking, why not do "Love Never Dies" to mirror their '88 and '89 "Phantom of the Opera" shows, seeing as they did the PotO shows right as it came out, LND is the sequel to PotO, and LND music was released this year? And then throw on top of that the fact that the '89 production was one of the best, if not THE best, show in DCI history. :tongue:

That's easy...because Love Never Dies is a bit of a travesty...lol.

At least I don't care much for it.

I agree with the fans that say they can't get into it. I have heard (and love) the source material before, but I don't find it very fitting for the marching field.

I always try to look at shows from an outsider perspective (never seen DCI, doesn't know much classical music) and this show just doesn't click. The atonality is kind of a turn off. They seem to be pulling it off decently well, but the show doesn't come across to me as a "layman's show" like last year.

Go listen to the source music, and then listen to the show again. If you don't like the source music, then I guess there's not much hope. The show is almost transcribed rather than arranged.

Agreed. I have the LA Philharmonic Esa-Pekka Salonen (Sony Classical) and the SCV show is rather impressive in how it captures this and presents it at a stadium. I don't get all the comparisons to Star 93. Only part of the SCV show aligns with the Star 93 show.

The 87 Cadets and 09 SCV I can understand as both shows from the same work (although different versions with SCV from the original chamber 13 instruments and Cadets from the symphonic).

I am rather pleased that some corps are starting to place more emphasis on music.

IMO much of the recent trend has been to have everyone running around doing insane movement and/or guard shows accompanied by music.

I do enjoy the shows and appreciate what the performers are delivering but wish that more emphasis was given to the music.

I too am rather disappointed that the ending of the show has not been delivered to the fans.

I guess I am old school on this but we would work are butts off to deliver a full show by the end of Memorial weekend camp.