Santa Clara Vanguard 2010

I have to say, for me.... this show has been pretty awesome from first viewing at Stanford. I so love the source music, and once again, I think Vanguard gives us a super-classy, sophisticated interpretation of a great piece of music. I can't wait to see how it evolves. I've heard some exciting/interesting changes are coming!

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best horn book Key Poulan has written for SCV (IMHO)-and I am in the VAST minority with my BD alum friends. I heard a lot of good musical ideas when I saw them in so cal. I even got on my own kid for being a red team hater. Always gotta respect the competition-especially the red team.

Three quick questions to any SCV insiders....

1. When would the pre-show be added. They have one of the most beautiul pre-show last season. No reason to doubt their ability to generating great mood for the show.

2. Currently, the cymball line was parked by the pit during the "game of pair" section of the show. Are there more visual to be wrriten? It seems pretty wasteful since they could generate much visual GE.

3. Drum majors didnot take his aussie off until the begining of the second movement (Music for Strings, Percussion & Chelesta, Mvt. II). Any reason for that change?

I'll try...mostly from just knowing some of the history of the corps.

1. No clue...probably real soon, I would hope.

2. There was a part where they were at least intended to play a tom part in the pit, could it be that? I don't know exactly what you saw (whether they were just standing there at attention, etc), and I don't know if they kept with that plan either.

3. This is actually something that's been done in the past, and for whatever reason hasn't been done the last several years. (See 87, 97 for examples) Drum major would conduct opener with aussie on, and at the end while audience was applauding would take it off and take a bow (with a smile), and continue on with the show. (I cant remember for 87, but in 97 the major would take a gracious "thank you so much for letting us share this with you" bow at the end of the show too, rather than just a plain, "in character" salute. Super classy.

Edited by DanjrusMcRynky

• 2 weeks later...

The new ending is kinda funny; "Major Chord!!!...that we haven't really played much the whole show!"

It's awesome and makes sense, but my music major side just kinda chuckled when I heard it.

Regardless, it definitely makes the show fit together more. And I hope they jump up competitively in the next few weeks because of it!

GO SCV! Best drill on the field this year! :tongue: