Cadets 2010

I was a bit skeptical listening to Hop describe the show in pre-season. I was still skeptical watching their first live AllAccess broadcast during spring training. But, I was completely sold watching their second broadcast. I was smiling from ear to ear the whole time. I can see exactly what they're doing in the design, even if they haven't tweaked it, and even if they don't have the ending in yet. So, that bodes very well for the success of this show. Most if not all Cadets shows that win don't change much from June to August. Look at 2005, 2000... That's probably true for any corps, I suppose...

I love the musical selections. I also might be reading too much into it, but I can see why the first half of the show is 'slower' and more deliberate than we're used to from them, but I think it's clear from Merry Mount on that the second half of the show will be much more furious and dramatic.

I can see why they're putting in SO MANY 'cutesy' toy soldier moments and body movements. I can also see how some people may feel beaten over the head by Geoff's character. They want to make sure everyone knows whats going on with just one viewing, even in June. So, they're throwing a lot agains the wall to see what sticks, so that they can continue to revisit them for maximum effect. Someone mentioned that they liked the fact that the story is so obvious, that they don't feel the need to watch the guard character the entire time -- and if they shape this show right, hopefully most people will know what to be watching. They want to make sure everyone knows exactly what's going on with just one viewing.

I can see how some people find a lot of the body movement un-innovative (compared to what BD, Crown, and even Cavies have done recently) -- I can see how one might compare it to the rather stiff body movements that Phantom likes to do (IMO, I've thought most Phantom attempts at body movement are pretty lame). Though, you must admit that rather stiff movements is what this show calls for? I'm sure they will refine that, just as they refine all the body movement.

I love Bawker's idea of the ending, btw!!

Bawker for Cadets' show designer!!!

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was a bit skeptical listening to Hop describe the show in pre-season. I was still skeptical watching their first live AllAccess broadcast during spring training. But, I was completely sold watching their second broadcast. I was smiling from ear to ear the whole time. I can see exactly what they're doing in the design, even if they haven't tweaked it, and even if they don't have the ending in yet. So, that bodes very well for the success of this show. Most if not all Cadets shows that win don't change much from June to August. Look at 2005, 2000... That's probably true for any corps, I suppose...

I love the musical selections. I also might be reading too much into it, but I can see why the first half of the show is 'slower' and more deliberate than we're used to from them, but I think it's clear from Merry Mount on that the second half of the show will be much more furious and dramatic.

I can see why they're putting in SO MANY 'cutesy' toy soldier moments and body movements. I can also see how some people may feel beaten over the head by Geoff's character. They want to make sure everyone knows whats going on with just one viewing, even in June. So, they're throwing a lot agains the wall to see what sticks, so that they can continue to revisit them for maximum effect. Someone mentioned that they liked the fact that the story is so obvious, that they don't feel the need to watch the guard character the entire time -- and if they shape this show right, hopefully most people will know what to be watching. They want to make sure everyone knows exactly what's going on with just one viewing.

I can see how some people find a lot of the body movement un-innovative (compared to what BD, Crown, and even Cavies have done recently) -- I can see how one might compare it to the rather stiff body movements that Phantom likes to do (IMO, I've thought most Phantom attempts at body movement are pretty lame). Though, you must admit that rather stiff movements is what this show calls for? I'm sure they will refine that, just as they refine all the body movement.

I love Bawker's idea of the ending, btw!!

This is what gives me hope.

This is what gives me hope.

:blink:

ummmm, WHAT? (at your statement and your screename lol) :sleeping:

English

NounSingular

souldier

Plural

souldiers

souldier (plural souldiers)

1.Obsolete spelling of soldier.

.....ummmm, yeah....pretentious mental masterbation

and my screen name....think Richard Gere

Edited by ducttapedgerbil

. . .one other thing I was thinking about concerning the show: the "break downs" of the corps are entirely too predictable.

Instead of "winding down" right at the end of the opening statement . . .go right directly into the next chart, and just have the corps kind of fall apart right in the middle, proceed with the "wind-up" as before, and just pick up like nothing happened before.

Next, the little mechanical "tic" that occurs later in the show needs more emphasis and delineation through sound effect/GE, perhaps cribbing from what the Cavaliers did with the same kind of effect in "Machine" in 2006. The re-use of the crank sound just isn't over-the-top enough to communicate the idea to the audience.

I like this idea.

:tongue:

English

NounSingular

souldier

Plural

souldiers

souldier (plural souldiers)

1.Obsolete spelling of soldier.

.....ummmm, yeah....pretentious mental masterbation

and my screen name....think Richard Gere

Ohhhhhhhhhhh...:tongue: