Avon HS Drum Corps Version!?

Avon's sound = Top of Marching Band world.

Unless Marcus High School from Texas is at the same show. Just check out BOA GN results from last year. ;)

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is highly debatable.

Just sayin'.

They're good, but I will debate that.

LOUDLY.

Unless Marcus High School from Texas is at the same show. Just check out BOA GN results from last year. ;)

How right you are.

Marcus High School was UNBELIEVABLE.

There's a website called marchingbandplanet.com. I've been there before and it basically sucks. Why do you think people hang out at DCP? :tongue:

Is it just me, or does Crown seem remarkably like Avon High School from Indiana? They are a great band, no doubt, and I know Crown shares a lot of staff with Avon. That being said, its a little unfortunate that we get Avon 'the drum corps version'...

Maybe it's Avon that seems like Crown. Maybe Avon is the marching band version of Crown.

Why do you think people hang out at DCP? :tongue:

Even some of those who are STILL listed on the top 10 list of posters over there, years after they stopped going over there :devil:

Avon's Guard Director is also the caption head at Crown...

Wrong. Danny Wiles is the guard director at Avon, and last I checked, he's still with Troopers.

And Adam Sage has nothing to do with Avon.

In fact, as far as I am aware, only two total staff members from Avon are with Crown. One being Matt Harloff, and the other being Evan VanDoren, who simply happens to attend college in Indianapolis. That makes it pretty convenient, so good for him. Plus with the roots of that family at Crown and with him being their former DM, it's really not surprising.

Are there similarities? Heck yes. Both of these groups are at the top of their respective activities. We should be enjoying both, and not comparing just to complain.

Wrong. Danny Wiles is the guard director at Avon, and last I checked, he's still with Troopers.

And Adam Sage has nothing to do with Avon.

In fact, as far as I am aware, only two total staff members from Avon are with Crown. One being Matt Harloff, and the other being Evan VanDoren, who simply happens to attend college in Indianapolis. That makes it pretty convenient, so good for him. Plus with the roots of that family at Crown and with him being their former DM, it's really not surprising.

Are there similarities? Heck yes. Both of these groups are at the top of their respective activities. We should be enjoying both, and not comparing just to complain.

Evan's a director in Texas now, just throwin' that out there.

I know students from Avon have marched Crown, and with the connection it makes sense, but I wouldn't really compare the two- at least not as far as saying that "Crown is the corps equivalent of Avon." Both great programs, both great instruction.

Edited by drumelloboe

Evan's a director in Texas now, just throwin' that out there.
Great to hear Evan graduated! The kid worked his tail off at Crown, and obviously he was an incredible student as well since he graduated from Butler. Whoever lands him in the future will sure be lucky to have his experience and teaching around.

And I agree with you, it's silly to compare the two for no other purpose but to say you dislike the "Avon HS drum corps version".

But eh, to each his own.