Madison Scouts 2010 Cymbal Discussion

I understand. Every corps should have a plate line. Otherwise, it's like a hot-dog without mustard. But being a scout means doing what the corps needs you to do, not what you want to do. If you didn't try out for a different spot, then it seems like being a cymbal was a higher priority than being a scout. What did you expect them to do?

p.s. when I was in the corps, I rode to camp with a guy who was trying out for the tenor line. He was in the line until around April or so, then he was cut. They offered him a chance to plug a third soprano hole and he took it. Even learned to play the horn a bit by the end of the season.

So someone who's put years into getting as good as they possibly can at an instrument should be expected to be able to switch instruments and become proficient enough in one season to make a WC probably top 12 corps on an instrument they're brand new at? Pretty unrealistic if you ask me. And the dig is that they were told there would be NO cymbal line, yet low and behold.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Having to re-audition every year is fair. Your analogy doesn't work, because any trumpet player would still have an opportunity to keep his spot. A better analogy would be if the entire trumpet section were axed, and then a guy from the pit had a featured trumpet solo. Had I marched trumpet the year prior, then was not even given the chance to march the following year, #### right I'd be ######. If this had happened with any other corps, you would be too.

Why? If they weren't marching trumpets that year for whatever reason, then I wouldn't have a spot to march. No different than being cut. And I would be given the same opportunity that these guys were...to audition for another position. So I'd be auditioning to march another horn spot or I wouldn't be marching there. Simple as that.

So someone who's put years into getting as good as they possibly can at an instrument should be expected to be able to switch instruments and become proficient enough in one season to make a WC probably top 12 corps on an instrument they're brand new at? Pretty unrealistic if you ask me. And the dig is that they were told there would be NO cymbal line, yet low and behold.

And the dig is that there is STILL no cymbal line.

I know the whole story. They could have stayed in the corps, just not on plates. Sure there are some guard guy's acting like they are playing plates for about 30 sec. I don't really think these 4 guy's would have been happy with this little of playing time.

One can say anything they want on the "form" . The question is should they ? IMHO no. You should talk about Family Biz. to Family. I mean the whole world does not need to know everything. Thats what you do if you really love your family.

Bill

This may seem like a dumb question, but what are the other 2009 Madison Scout cymbals doing this year? Did they march cymbals somewhere else or march something else as a member of the Scouts?

It sounds like or cymbal friend in question needs to suck it up, dust himself off, realize that life ain't fair and go march cymbals somewhere else. Yeah. It sucks. You got hosed. Suck it up, cupcake. Whining about it in two threads on DCP won't get you anywhere.

To quote Dennis Leary, "Life sucks. Get a helmet."

Not knowing the whole situation and taking everything posted here at face value, it does seem a bit disengenous of the OP (being a "cymbal enthusiast"). Especially considering that for a good part of the winter and spring Jen and Donny were here letting all know that there were spots open at Pioneer in the cymbal line.

This may seem like a dumb question, but what are the other 2009 Madison Scout cymbals doing this year? Did they march cymbals somewhere else or march something else as a member of the Scouts?

It sounds like or cymbal friend in question needs to suck it up, dust himself off, realize that life ain't fair and go march cymbals somewhere else. Yeah. It sucks. You got hosed. Suck it up, cupcake. Whining about it in two threads on DCP won't get you anywhere.

To quote Dennis Leary, "Life sucks. Get a helmet."

This.

Of course it's a crappy situation. Deal with it. Get over it, and march somewhere else. Maybe Madison will have a cymbal line in 2011. Who knows? Sounds like the OP had a good experience in 2009. Don't make 2010 a bad experience for yourself or someone else by whining.

to me, drum corps without cymbals is like pizza without pepperoni or chips without salsa. They add a lot, but many corps feel they can live without them.

When the stopped marching tymps, tymp players switched to bass drum. When they stopped marching french horns, horn players switched to mello. You have to be a little flexible.

May You Never Walk Alone...

... unless corps management calls you up and tells you to take a walk, of course. Sounds like Never Alone In Life is just a nail, after all. :tongue:

Well, aren't you a hater.

They aren't having a plate line. Life goes on. Join the Kilties. Pioneer. UW marching band. Move on.

Many of you are not understanding. I am not angry about being cut. My dismay is the lack of respect of what we were told.

of the four of us, one is marching colts cymbal line another is spending his age out at college, the youngest isn't marching and I'm teaching cymbals for a highschool