The OFFICIAL 2010 Blue Devils Thread

If any corps decides to take itself and activity too seriously and does a Hume/Kant show, I will give up on drum corps.

Seriously.

Unless it's the Monty Python version: "Immanuel Kant was a real pissant who was very rarely stable. Heidegger, Heidegger was a boozy beggar who could think you under the table. David Hume could outconsume Schopenhauer and Hegel. And Wittgenstein was a beery swine who was just as schlossed as Schlegel..."

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If any corps decides to take itself and activity too seriously and does a Hume/Kant show, I will give up on drum corps.

Seriously.

Wayne's already workin' on it!

First movement: Transcendental Aesthetic (with a nice Contra solo)

Second movement: Attack on the Paralogisms (with drum feature written by Decarte)

Third movement (literally): Mom, I pooped my pants coming through the wormhole! (little known Mahler work)

Closer: Synthesis: A 90° Turn (company front, followed by group discussion)

Read this again. Bottom line, I have two conclusions:

First, I think your issue here is with DCI judges. They consistently place BD at or near the top in the categories of music GE, music ensemble, etc over the past 3+ seasons. So point the complaints at the people assigning the numbers, not the hard-working, talented kids and staff

Second, I'd think about what your daughter (or students) would think about what you are posting here

First my issue is with the arrangements *not* the kids. Don't put words in my mouth. Please quote where I insulted the members or the staff of BD. We're discussing design not people.

Second I have no issue with my daughter or any of my students reading this. Not sure why you think I would.

Third I don't have an issue with the judges. Does it confuse me that all those criteria I've mentioned previously are being ignored. Sure but I'm easily confused :)

Here's what I conclude from these responses:

BD parents and kids are tired of people criticizing their musical arrangements. Yes they can say "but we win a lot" but as many know that's little solace to a young performer giving everything they have night after night for a whole summer. The ring is just a cold piece of metal. Making a magical connection with an audience during a performance lasts forever.

I guess you can buy into the whole "we're cutting edge -- we're avant garde -- no one understand us --we're setting new standards" message or you can respond to your audience. But if you're designing a product and your customer (who in my view is the audience) isn't responding then I'd re-think my design. I wouldn't say "we know better than you" because quite frankly in a live performance art like drum corps it's all about connecting with your audience.

Clearly it's an emotional issue. But believe me when I say nothing would make me happier than to have BD *make* me get out of my seat again. In the past I never complained about them winning at a show because it would give me a chance to run to the bottom of the stands and soak in that glorious music in the encore. Alas intelligible musical phrases I knew you well.

Edited by corpsband

First my issue is with the arrangements *not* the kids. Don't put words in my mouth. Please quote where I insulted the members or the staff of BD. We're discussing design not people.

Second I have no issue with my daughter or any of my students reading this. Not sure why you think I would.

Third I don't have an issue with the judges. Does it confuse me that all those criteria I've mentioned previously are being ignored. Sure but I'm easily confused :)

Here's what I conclude from these responses:

BD parents and kids are tired of people criticizing their musical arrangements. Yes they can say "but we win a lot" but as many know that's little solace to a young performer giving everything they have night after night for a whole summer. The ring is just a cold piece of metal. Making a magical connection with an audience during a performance lasts forever.

I guess you can buy into the whole "we're cutting edge -- we're avant garde -- no one understand us --we're setting new standards" message or you can respond to your audience. But if you're designing a product and your customer (who in my view is the audience) isn't responding then I'd re-think my design. I wouldn't say "we know better than you" because quite frankly in a live performance art like drum corps it's all about connecting with your audience.

Clearly it's an emotional issue. But believe me when I say nothing would make me happier than to have BD *make* me get out of my seat again. In the past I never complained about them winning at a show because it would give me a chance to run to the bottom of the stands and soak in that glorious music in the encore. Alas intelligible musical phrases I knew you well.

It's going to be funny to see you deal with the relentless negativity Crown is going to face when/if they win a title. Take your belief and earnestness in what you're saying, and multiply it by a factor of 500.

I'm not criticizing anything you're saying because we all have our opinions, but you'll be sitting in the same shoes soon enough. lol.

It's going to be funny to see you deal with the relentless negativity Crown is going to face when/if they win a title. Take your belief and earnestness in what you're saying, and multiply it by a factor of 500.

I'm not criticizing anything you're saying because we all have our opinions, but you'll be sitting in the same shoes soon enough. lol.

I'm sure you're right that the Crown-bashing will become a favorite sport on DCP if and when that happens. But if we can't talk show design on DCP then what's the point? As I said in another thread, I was *not* enthusiastic about a design choice Crown made this season (Nimrod) and it was only the staging and performance quality that made me actually *like* it.

If Crown starts arranging like BD I'll be first in line to criticize it. Hopefully they will wait 'til my kid ages out :)

corpsband, the Crown bashing will most definitely be in great part about their arrangements, even if you happen to like them. That's kind of what my point was. You'll see soon enough.

At any rate, I think Downey is fantastic, and it's a powerful arrangement that captures the spirit of the original Kenton work. But I don't like the show.

corpsband, the Crown bashing will most definitely be in great deal about their arrangements, even if you happen to like them. That's kind of what my point was. You'll see soon enough.

<wearing my Crown honk hat >Nothing would make me happier :)

<wearing my show design hat> Except maybe BD changing their mind about the micro-phrase arranging :)

Edited by corpsband

I'm sure you're right that the Crown-bashing will become a favorite sport on DCP if and when that happens. But if we can't talk show design on DCP then what's the point? As I said in another thread, I was *not* enthusiastic about a design choice Crown made this season (Nimrod) and it was only the staging and performance quality that made me actually *like* it.

If Crown starts arranging like BD I'll be first in line to criticize it. Hopefully they will wait 'til my kid ages out :)

Maybe crown should start arranging like BD cuz this year CC is boring as heck! Love BD's show and if there were more big shows in the west BD would be a fan favorite.