Bridgeport Reviews - Post them here!

depends on where the show is...same for any corps.

Really? You think people only get Standing O's in their hometown? Westshore always got great responses up here. And Empire always got great responses in NJ.

And the Bridgemen and Cabs Alum would be #1 and #2 in the DCA Applause Championships.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aww shucks, I see what you did there.

One is, of course, entirely free to applaud for drum corps in any manner which he sees fit, be it “golf clapping”, “finger snapping”, the higher-pitched finger-palm method, waving the flap of your toga, or the more resonant “opposing palms bubble” method – or any other non-verbal salutation. I’m certain any DCA corps would be grateful to receive at least a modicum of applause and respect.

The ancient Romans had a set ritual of applause for public performances, expressing degrees of approval: snapping the finger and thumb, clapping with the flat or hollow palm, waving the flap of the toga, for which the emperor Aurelian substituted handkerchiefs (orarium) that he had distributed to the Roman people. *

*Dictionary of Greek and Roman Antiquities, page 843

no corps do not get standing o's at home. however they get BIGGER standing O's at home.

and funny, I don't remember getting reactions up there like we got other places. In fact, in 96 our best crowd reactions were Barnum, Hershey and Orlando.

Really? You think people only get Standing O's in their hometown? Westshore always got great responses up here. And Empire always got great responses in NJ.

And the Bridgemen and Cabs Alum would be #1 and #2 in the DCA Applause Championships.

All this banter over Sayre's review has been interesting. First of all, I have not attended a show so far this year. Also, I once marched Buccaneers.

Isn't DCA competitive success based opon understanding and mastering the CURRENT criteria of excellence as described on the evaluation sheets now in use? So far, what Reading's been doing IS addressing that challenge best, at least in the eyes/ears of those who are the ONLY persons granted the privilege of deciding such.

Should an applause meter have more impact? If so, create a line on the sheets for crediting what the needle records. Bottom line, a naked all-girl corps WILL receive more applause than the Bucs, the Statesmen, the Cabs, and anyone else. OK, maybe just from half the audience. :sad: But what about the Marines Drum & Bugle Corps? Should the Marines score highest on today's sheets, based solely upon applause?

Reading won't win every show from this point forward but, right now, they ARE winning. Good for them. According to Tom, Empire will be very solid this season. If Empire answers those same sheets better than Reading . . . WOW! That's a good thing. Can't wait to see them!

In any event, I appreciate ALL reviews, Sayre's included. Let's not chase reviewers away. They are part of why we come here. No?

no corps do not get standing o's at home. however they get BIGGER standing O's at home.

and funny, I don't remember getting reactions up there like we got other places. In fact, in 96 our best crowd reactions were Barnum, Hershey and Orlando.

I'm taking a stand...

Bottom line: I'm PRO-Applause.

Can we just close this thread please? I'm getting tired of checking this looking for reviews just to find people complaining about the ONE review that is on this 9 page crap of a thread.

Can we just open a new thread to debate the efficacy of Reading's show, and the on-going battle between crowd's response and perception, and that of the judge's?

I also apologize for contributing to this mess.

Dan McGrogan is too smart for me.

Tom D`Bomb is too smart for everybody.

Sayre is too smart for DCA. Perhaps he should close his kitchen windows.

CMF

DCP fan.

This thread HAS strayed off topic, and I apologize.

Good luck to all the teams - we need to pull together.

Dan McGrogan is too smart for me.

Tom D`Bomb is too smart for everybody.

Sayre is too smart for DCA. Perhaps he should close his kitchen windows.

CMF

DCP fan.

You just made me laugh at work...

I'm not supposed to laugh at work...

Work is serious...

Thanks! :sad: