Bridgeport Reviews - Post them here!

If anything, maybe the review threads should be closed to replies. Start threads for certain shows, then have the reviewers submit their reviews in one post back to back. If you want to start your own thread about what you thought about a show, fine, no specific replies. Seems easy enough to me, plus if you have a beef, take it up in PM. They're easy to delete...what do you guys think?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If anything, maybe the review threads should be closed to replies. Start threads for certain shows, then have the reviewers submit their reviews in one post back to back. If you want to start your own thread about what you thought about a show, fine, no specific replies. Seems easy enough to me, plus if you have a beef, take it up in PM. They're easy to delete...what do you guys think?

As a sometimes reviewer let me say i did it for the benefit of those who could not be there , and i felt they did the same thing for me.

Most of us have friends and etc. that we can still enjoy the shows as we always did

In conclusion no no reply or moderated forum is worth the effort or the emotions you get for taking notes , writing and trying to help out some other fans

"I WANT AS MANY HONEST REVIEWS OF A CONTEST AS THERE WERE SPECTATORS IN THE STANDS"

I agree with Joe. Keep'em comin'. The more the better. I can't get to every show, so for me the reviewer(s) are my eyes and ears. If someone doesn't agree with your posts, that's their problem, not yours. Don't let a few people stop you from doing, what a lot more of us appreciate.

I agree with all who have said that they want the reviews to continue. As a member of an alumni corps (The Park City Pride), I and other alumni only get feedback from the audience and the reviewers. These reviews are very important feedback for all of us. Please keep them coming - good or bad. Ignore the ignorent. Freedom of speech also includes the freedom to ignore stupid comments.

--Ernie, Contra Bass and Park City Pride Webmaster. (I love sharing the reviews with our membership) :sleeping:

I agree with all who have said that they want the reviews to continue. As a member of an alumni corps (The Park City Pride), I and other alumni only get feedback from the audience and the reviewers. These reviews are very important feedback for all of us. Please keep them coming - good or bad. Ignore the ignorent. Freedom of speech also includes the freedom to ignore stupid comments.

--Ernie, Contra Bass and Park City Pride Webmaster. (I love sharing the reviews with our membership) :sleeping:

I can't refuse a guy who plays the contra parts in " One of those songs"

I think it would make DCP a whole lot less entertaining...

This has been wicked interesting and pretty entertaining.

I have just one question and it's not meant to be rhetorical and I'm not pretending to have every answer:

As I read it, the issue is the need for honest reviews - in this case honest simply refers to the poster's unvarnished opinions about the show... which by the way is the right of any American who can get access to a computer.

The converse, if I read it correctly is that the same people are what's the right word? Disturbed? Bothered? by people who respond with what they feel are "honest" responses - i.e. their unvarnished opinion about the review. If there are enough of these "honest" reactions that seem negative to the "honest" reviewer, then their feelings are hurt and they won't post their reviews any more. This puzzles me.

Many honest reviews, maybe all of them, contain some degree of the poster's personal likes and dislikes, biases if you will. You can deny that until Reading loses a show (not likely to happen soon) and it will still be a fact. Everything that each of us writes contains some modicum of who we are, what we like, dislike, etc.

If we are going to say honestly (i.e. it's our opinion) that a staff should be ashamed - like that of Bridgeport Bucs (and yes I know the quote was more like "it's a shame that anyone would program a show like this" but parse it any way you want it's a pretty personal statement) then why get our feelings hurt when someone else honestly reacts to a statement like that? Are we blushing virgins? Can we dish it out and not take it?

Post reviews or don't post them. DCP and its readers will be the poorer for your loss if that's your decision but it's your choice. If you want a forum in which you're able to post anything you want and lmit peoples' reaction, then god bless you in that quiet place wherever it is.

Anytime I write anything I know there's the possibility of a reaction. Sometimes I write something in a way that it comes out differently than I intended, and then I have to eat my words. Often times my opinion is just different from other folks - a product of my peculiar background and where I've been. If I make someone angry I'm not going to ask DCP not to post their response. If I meant it the way they took it, the statement stands and life goes on.

Are we really this precious and delicate in this activity that we expect everything we say to go unchallenged?

People like Frank Dorrite and Wayne Downey post articles here. They probably get less abuse for a couple of obvious reasons - a) they're not trying to #### people off and b) they're really and truly experts in the area they're addressing, a position we'd all love to occupy but very few of us ever achieve.

Post - don't post. Reply - don't reply. Stop crying. There's no crying in drum corps.

I have just one question and it's not meant to be rhetorical and I'm not pretending to have every answer:

As I read it, the issue is the need for honest reviews - in this case honest simply refers to the poster's unvarnished opinions about the show... which by the way is the right of any American who can get access to a computer.

The converse, if I read it correctly is that the same people are what's the right word? Disturbed? Bothered? by people who respond with what they feel are "honest" responses - i.e. their unvarnished opinion about the review. If there are enough of these "honest" reactions that seem negative to the "honest" reviewer, then their feelings are hurt and they won't post their reviews any more. This puzzles me.

Many honest reviews, maybe all of them, contain some degree of the poster's personal likes and dislikes, biases if you will. You can deny that until Reading loses a show (not likely to happen soon) and it will still be a fact. Everything that each of us writes contains some modicum of who we are, what we like, dislike, etc.

If we are going to say honestly (i.e. it's our opinion) that a staff should be ashamed - like that of Bridgeport Bucs (and yes I know the quote was more like "it's a shame that anyone would program a show like this" but parse it any way you want it's a pretty personal statement) then why get our feelings hurt when someone else honestly reacts to a statement like that? Are we blushing virgins? Can we dish it out and not take it?

Post reviews or don't post them. DCP and its readers will be the poorer for your loss if that's your decision but it's your choice. If you want a forum in which you're able to post anything you want and lmit peoples' reaction, then god bless you in that quiet place wherever it is.

Anytime I write anything I know there's the possibility of a reaction. Sometimes I write something in a way that it comes out differently than I intended, and then I have to eat my words. Often times my opinion is just different from other folks - a product of my peculiar background and where I've been. If I make someone angry I'm not going to ask DCP not to post their response. If I meant it the way they took it, the statement stands and life goes on.

Are we really this precious and delicate in this activity that we expect everything we say to go unchallenged?

People like Frank Dorrite and Wayne Downey post articles here. They probably get less abuse for a couple of obvious reasons - a) they're not trying to #### people off and b) they're really and truly experts in the area they're addressing, a position we'd all love to occupy but very few of us ever achieve.

Post - don't post. Reply - don't reply. Stop crying. There's no crying in drum corps.

And sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

:sleeping:

Ray...reviews or opinions being challenged is one thing. the problem is too often peopole who hate the review get nasty and/or personal. I laugh off criticism to my reviews anymore, but I know in the past I got some seriously nasty #### said to and about me.

that's uncalled for.

you don't like a review, say why you may disagree, and move on...people want to make it a war.

and honestly, sometimes people hate reviews because they can not look objectively at the programs they have loyalty to