Carolina Crown-most disappointing Friday

Well, you could have told them you were the "metronome boy" and walked right in to see the run through. If anybody gave you any hassles about your age, you could have said you come from a long family of metronome boys and told them you ran the met for the Stormworks show.

"One of the most important positions in the corps."

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

We went to the Normal show on Friday, and like most years we went early to watch rehearsals at the stadium. I know in many years past, Cavaliers have done rehearsals at the stadium and worked with the BOA kids as well.

Friday afternoon there were probably close to 700 people in the stands for the Crown rehearsal. We were probably there for about 2 hours watching rehearsal. The staff worked well with the kids, and told them they were going to do their full run through about 15 minutes early as a reward for such a great rehearsal day. They instructed the kids to take their water break and set up for the full run through. Then they asked everyone in the stands not affiliated with the corps to please exit the stands.

I have to say my wife and I were extremely disappointed. And we weren't anywhere near as upset as some of the people there. I really felt bad for one guy who was telling us he had to take 2 days off of work to come to the show, as he lived about 5 hours away, had to rent a car, and said the whole weekend was costing him over $600. He told us he would never spend another cent at the Crown souvie booth again. Unfortunately I have to agree to some extent, and my wife and I did purchase souvies at every single booth there except Crown and Pioneer(who didn't have a booth set up there that night)

Life is full of disappointments, but in reality, what would it have hurt for people to see a full run through of the show? I would guarantee you that almost every single person at that clinic probably had purchased a ticket already for that evening. Or could they have possibly told us earlier in the day that full run through would not be available to the public, so we could have gone and watched another corps rehearsal?

One of the things that makes this even more disappointing for alot of people, is the fact that there are fewer and fewer shows every year to attend, and most of the many people we spoke to that night at the show, were only going to average 2 or 3 shows for the whole year. And watching a full run through of a show can really enhance your viewing pleasure for the evening, as you have some ideas of what to watch for in the show, and allows you to see many more different aspects of the show.

So yes, Carolina Crown, we respected your asking us to leave the stands and we did leave the stands, but please understand that many people were disappointed, and many of us did not spend any money at your souvie booth that evening, although with all the BOD kids that did, you probably didn't care. But with all due respect, in the future, could you please let people know in advance you don't want them at rehearsals, so they don't waste more time off work, driving extra miles to get to your rehearsal sites, just to find out we would have been better off to go watch a corps who appreciates the fans a little bit more.

Just want to make sure I've got this straight:

* you went to a drum corps show.

* you showed up to the stadium really early, while Crown was rehearsing

* there was no advertised clinic, it was basically a corps' rehearsal sight

* the corps asked you to leave before their final run, after letting you and the others watch their rehearsal up to that point for free (or at least for no compensation directly to Crown).

* the show went on as advertised

I really don't understand your disappointment. If there was no clinic advertised, and you were merely hoping to see ALL of Crown's rehearsal block, I would think you made an assumption, took the gamble, and it didn't quite pay off. If anyone is upset with that, I don't know what to say other then perhaps you should've sought out Crown staff to clarify their rehearsal policy. Some corps don't allow anyone into rehearsals at all, so I'd say you were fortunate that Crown let you guys stick around as long as they did.

I guess in the future it's unwise to make assumptions, and any adult who makes travel plans based on the assumption that whomever is rehearsing in the show stadium will let them watch anything for free gets what they deserve. In this day and age it's pretty easy to find corps information and make a quick call to learn corps' rehearsal policy, where other corps in the area are rehearsing, etc.

I can think of two possible reasons this happened. The first being that Carolina Crown themselves are very serious about not having their full show recorded, which could be possible but seems highly unlikely. Second, and most likely, either the event staff or DCI wanted to empty the stands since this was at the show site and perhaps the show was close to starting. I know this happened with us at a show in California. Some people, not affiliated with our staff, went around the stands asking people to leave right before our run through.

I think Crown's attitude has changed, especially after last year's 2nd place finish. They feel entitled to win DCI, and they feel that their corps and their show is so special that they need to keep people away from it as much as possible, like it's some diamond.

Alright Sir.... that's a 10 yard penalty for bad mouthing a corps BEFORE they win a championship! You know better than that! Now...do pushups!!!

One of the things that makes this even more disappointing for alot of people, is the fact that there are fewer and fewer shows every year to attend, and most of the many people we spoke to that night at the show, were only going to average 2 or 3 shows for the whole year. And watching a full run through of a show can really enhance your viewing pleasure for the evening, as you have some ideas of what to watch for in the show, and allows you to see many more different aspects of the show.

In the information age, with youtube, and the legit Fan Network at a very reasonable price (you can buy the archive-only VOD option for less than two tickets to most shows), if anyone is really yearning for more shows to see the options are available.