Synths

Given the option of narration or synthesized sound, I would take synths 100 times out of 100. So I don't think I'm anti-synth just because I don't like any change. Last night at the Middleton show, however, it was really hard to hear the contra line of Blue Stars, Cavies, Cadets and Scouts (so....pretty much everyone in world class), because the synth line was doubling the contra line so much. And Scouts have 20 contras!!

After the show, Scouts did a standstill sans syth, and their brass sound is so incredible. Jim Prime's arrangements are so sublime. Perfection! But the synths just overpower that low brass line, IMO. Is it just me?

I think that due to visual design trends spreading the horn line to achieve maximum field coverage, it is natural for designers to use the front ensemble in such a way that supports the ensemble sound and beefs up the bottom end. I personally tend to take this design trend on a case by case basis, and I think some corps do a better job at blend than others. It seems to be a natural instinct for music arrangers to fatten up the ensemble sound by doubling the low end with synths (who doesn't like a full, rich sounding music ensemble). I think it's more prevalent earlier in the season as membership haven't achieved the proper stamina and sound control to maximize effect in especially louder phrases. Obviously some corps never quite master the difficult art of balancing sounds from a speaker with a spread out horn line, but I think they get better as the season moves on.

i have yet to see a low end synth patch that hasn't overpowered stuff.

we keep hearing these guys are geniuses and understand the technology.

yet we still have the issues

i have yet to see a low end synth patch that hasn't overpowered stuff.

we keep hearing these guys are geniuses and understand the technology.

yet we still have the issues

Oh, I think we have, but you can count the corps that have successful mixes on maybe three fingers. Personally, I'm glad we don't do that at all. We only use low-end synth bass for effect at two points in the program this year. The rest of the synth parts are more in context with the rest of the rhythm section and pit, as opposed to "beefing" the brass.

Of course, our take on electronics is a lot different from everyone else, so your mileage may vary.

I think that due to visual design trends spreading the horn line to achieve maximum field coverage, it is natural for designers to use the front ensemble in such a way that supports the ensemble sound and beefs up the bottom end. I personally tend to take this design trend on a case by case basis, and I think some corps do a better job at blend than others. It seems to be a natural instinct for music arrangers to fatten up the ensemble sound by doubling the low end with synths (who doesn't like a full, rich sounding music ensemble). I think it's more prevalent earlier in the season as membership haven't achieved the proper stamina and sound control to maximize effect in especially louder phrases. Obviously some corps never quite master the difficult art of balancing sounds from a speaker with a spread out horn line, but I think they get better as the season moves on.

If the hornline is spread out, and you can't hear the tubas, then you have an Ensemble Music issue, as defined on the sheets. If the judges would enforce that, I'd shutup forever about synths.

I'm all for synths that are an octave LOWER than tubas, assuming the speakers are good enough to handle such frequencies. Instead, all we hear is "boom," and that seems OK to 99% of educators, instructors, designers and judges.

Enhancing the bass line electronically along with tubas is fine, as long as you CAN STILL HEAR THE TUBAS (and the synth sound doesn't suck...most suck)

Again, if the judges would merely call the Ens Music Sheet, or GE Music Sheet to the letter, this synth business would fix itself. Apparently, judges seem to like the $1 Matinee Theater Sound (ie, cheap, tinny, all boom) over pure substance, whilst designers keep delivering that crap. THAT's the disturbing trend...not the synths themselves.

They don't sound anything alike, especially unmixed. The best synth in the world will not duplicate the sound of an actual contra line, and in fact the artificiality of it is what vexes me when hearing it.

I agree. I don't usually mind synth stuff as an effect, but when it's doubling the bass brass sound, it makes my skin crawl.

Again, if the judges would merely call the Ens Music Sheet, or GE Music Sheet to the letter, this synth business would fix itself. Apparently, judges seem to like the $1 Matinee Theater Sound (ie, cheap, tinny, all boom) over pure substance, whilst designers keep delivering that crap. THAT's the disturbing trend...not the synths themselves.

Completely agree here. However, I do think the Ensemble Music judges *may* be doing a better job of adjudicating the facets of electronics and amplification. I say "may" because I've only heard how they are doing it for my corps. As I said earlier, they are crediting good use and criticizing issues. I have no idea if that's happening for other corps. Last year, it was rare that any ensemble music judge said word one about our electronics.

I can tell you that we have put an enormous amount of effort into making sure we sound good, electronically and otherwise. As with every other facet of drum corps, it's an ongoing affair, but we're doing it. Hopefully everyone else is as well.

Oh, I think we have, but you can count the corps that have successful mixes on maybe three fingers. Personally, I'm glad we don't do that at all. We only use low-end synth bass for effect at two points in the program this year. The rest of the synth parts are more in context with the rest of the rhythm section and pit, as opposed to "beefing" the brass.

Of course, our take on electronics is a lot different from everyone else, so your mileage may vary.

true you guys do go at it differently. from what I've seen on the FN, your issue is making the rock band and the corps work together and fit together.

true you guys do go at it differently. from what I've seen on the FN, your issue is making the rock band and the corps work together and fit together.

Yep. I think that gets a little bit better every day. The real challenge in this area has been a combination of venue size and guitar voicing. A lot of work has been put into the system and blend by Jared and Nick, and we're well on the way. You're gonna love the pre-show :) Check out the beginning of Dream Theater's "Octavarium".

I think that may explain the glut of "supersized" contra lines we're seeing this year- as a way to compensate for the dominance of the low-end notes on keyboards.

Of the corps I've seen, Scouts are marching 20, Cavies and Blue Stars both have 16 and Cadets have 13 or 14.

I've noticed that even though a corps is marching 20 tubas, they are still supporting the sound electronically. That irritates me.
I think that may explain the glut of "supersized" contra lines we're seeing this year- as a way to compensate for the dominance of the low-end notes on keyboards.

Of the corps I've seen, Scouts are marching 20, Cavies and Blue Stars both have 16 and Cadets have 13 or 14.

:rolleyes:

They got us.

"We don't want to look like we're using synth, but how to convince the audience..."