Stewing in Ewing

Eat Em Up Boston!!!

Like I said, I'm new so can you elaborate a little?

Yeah, no problem.

I came in to try out during an April camp weekend and seeing how hard the Crossmen worked. This was in 2006. Anyway, they had lots of problems with show development and staff issues, which affected their competitive season. They started out around the 30th of June with a 69, and from there to finals, ended up with an 81 on semifinals night (dropped in score from the night before), not making finals.

The last time Crossmen have made finals was 2004, and 2008 was the last year Crossmen broke 12th place to perform at a regional (San Antonio?). We have yet to see Crossmen get back into finals, but it's tougher than ever. Not saying it can't be done....but I believe Crossmen can do it.

Yeah, no problem.

I came in to try out during an April camp weekend and seeing how hard the Crossmen worked. This was in 2006. Anyway, they had lots of problems with show development and staff issues, which affected their competitive season. They started out around the 30th of June with a 69, and from there to finals, ended up with an 81 on semifinals night (dropped in score from the night before), not making finals.

The last time Crossmen have made finals was 2004, and 2008 was the last year Crossmen broke 12th place to perform at a regional (San Antonio?). We have yet to see Crossmen get back into finals, but it's tougher than ever. Not saying it can't be done....but I believe Crossmen can do it.

Thanks for your thoughts and perspective. I hope they improve and get stronger as the season progresses.

Recaps are all over the place. Can someone explain to me how BAC dropped .2 somewhere between posting scores and recaps on DCI's website???? :sleeping:

Maybe they forgot to tip the relayer... it happens.

I have some thoughts on the EWING show tonight. First - Spirit (icon show is starting to grow on me) - Horn Line is staged pretty nicely throughout the show, so when impacts are needed they are there. The color guard outlines the horn line maybe a little too much, but add quite a bit of color. Drum line was pretty agressive. I had doubts of them last week, but i think they will stay above Crossmen.

Crossmen - The thoughts of Pat Methany had everyone psyched, however, i think they are really missing the boat. Matt Krempasky's charts made alot more sense to me with this show. It seems like the show, is not really paced right, it is alot of the same throughout. Tonight was not their night.

Phantom Regiment was on 3rd. Drum Line is very, very good. When they play they are clean, crisp. The visual program looked like there were 5-6 holes still in the show to fill which was pretty distracting. Color guard adds alot of dance. They end the show ala Santa Clara Vanguard - soft ending pic with flower. Middle of the DCI pack.

Boston Crusaders - Very Big corps - 70th anniversary year. All spots, except 1 contra looked filled. There was a big chair on the field - in the middle of everything. Their marching and visual program is one of the tops - very exposed horn book, which was evident a few times, especially in articulations of the sopranos. Their Battery seemed to over play the brass line. I think they can flip flop with Phantom each week.

Blue Coats - Most aggressive corps of the night! = If this was the old tick system, they would of won the show. Very talented, very clean, they are almost ready for championships. Very good winter.

Carolina Crown - Lot of innovation - great sounding horn line...A few bad releases late in the show. The Tenors seem to drown out the horn line a few times during the show. I feel that their color guard is very tasteful. The Visual stuff that is written can go very far. The only thing that scares me, is if they will be allowed to try to max it out. They seemed very controlled, but too much control can also be very boring, especially after the Bluecoats. Want to see Crown go all the way. They need to be more aggressive. (loved Nimrod)

Jersey Surf - Patriotic Show - using many unique arrangements