Star of Indiana 1994

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't crown the new Star? I dont get it? :thumbup:

No. They WERE Newstar. Then Blue Stars became Newstar. And currently, Madison has taken over as Newstar. Didn't you get the new flow chart in your email?! Try and keep up!

Edited by mingusmonk

That season I watched a women in a Madison shirt stand up and flip off the corps at retreat and stomp down the stairs after scores where announced in Centerville. I've never seen anything like that since.

That sorta thing really p***** me off beyond measure. I don't care how much you dislike a show, Corps X or whatever reason that sort of thing is just not right.

Funny enough, I recall performing at Hershey, PA in 1992. We were just getting to our first big hit of the show (the big arc), and this one dude, sitting in the stands right in the center section, stands up and raises TWO middle fingers to the entire corps and just continues to stand there until the cut off! I believe he was "complimenting" the corps by basically saying "that kind of sound should not be allowed, F U and your glorious sound!!!"

Other members including Mr. Pink Elephant have correlating reports of seeing this that night as well.

It definitely made up for some of the riff raff we had to deal with that summer.

:thumbup:

oh yeah that guy. seemed like he targeted a different corps every year

Woobie... I think the guy was flipping us off because he was at the standstill the day before and he was mad that his ears were still ringing:) I think my head was still ringing but for some reason I do not think it had anything to do with our playing:)

Ah, free time at amusement parks! Those were the days!

Based on what I have heard first hand and other sources from Star, before the 1993 season they signed a letter of intent with Canadian Brass.

From Star's site:

"Star's association with the Canadian Brass in 1993 was the year of Star's swan song. In the early spring, Star, Glassmen, Chicago Vanguard, and Pioneers gave a stand still performance at Indiana University's Auditorium in Bloomington. The night before, all of the corps attended a performance of the Canadian Brass ensemble; the auditorium was filled and the crowd received them with the enthusiasm of brass music lovers. That evening, Jim and I had been invited to a reception for the five CB which was hosted by Harvey Phillips, Dr. Tuba Santa. During a conversation, Chuck Dahlenbach of CB asked us if he and two other CBers could stay over and watch our drum corps show on Sunday afternoon. He didn't need to ask; we would have begged him to do it. In any event, they attended the performance, and afterward Chuck broached the subject of how Star could participate with them. The following Monday Chuck called to ask if some of Star's percussionists could play on their 'Broadway' CD. During the time of the recording, ideas started to develop; several weeks later, we met Chuck and Gene Watts in Florida and began discussions on how we could perform together. At the time, I did not believe that the corps could learn two hours of music and play it with the precision necessary to satisfy audiences that had very high expectations. But Jim, Gene, and Chuck thought otherwise. In June we signed a letter of intent which resulted in a contract that was signed in September."

Close the topic please.

And the topic needs to be closed because.... ?

Because you don't like it?

No. They WERE Newstar. Then Blue Stars became Newstar. And currently, Madison has taken over as Newstar. Didn't you get the new flow chart in your email?! Try and keep up!

**Slaps palm of hand to forehead** I can't keep up with Newstar! Love those guys, but they keep moving around! Sheesh!

I don't remember that happening. I mostly recall stadium announcer Bill Short (local Madison fm radio announcer) telling the audience, "Shame on you!!" when they booed the announcement of Star's 1st place. I had never previously experienced anything like that in my many years of drum corps.

I was there. I remember that announcer saying that. I was appalled at the crowd. I didn't know much about DCI politics at the time as a recent high school graduate. I absolutely loved that performance and was blown away. When I heard the crowds boo I really didn't understand it.