Pioneer 2010

After seeing them in Louisville and again last night in Broken Arrow, it is beyond me how the judges can give Teal Sound nearly three more points than Pioneer. It absolutely makes no sense. Granted, the Guard is a little weak but the hornline, drumline and drill are superior. Pioneer needs to straighten up ranks and files, that's true. Teal, on the other hand was pretty crooked last night in that category as well. And -- they marched bareheaded. What is this?

Keep working Pioneer and you will get there. Looking forward to seeing you in Houston.

Used to be a DQ to march bareheaded...

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Got robbed with their score." "The show was much better than a 71.1". Apparently NOT so in the judges eyes! This kind of childish complaining is a bad reflection on the Pioneer corps and organization. Did you ever consider that just perhaps they are getting the scores they deserve thus far? Remember, the season is only half over.

To morganhill or whoever you are.

I totally disagree with your arrogant and unfounded bashing of our Pioneer Family, of which you so often seem to be so willing to do. You have absolutely no idea as to what the motives that our fans, parents, alumni, and friends have. Your rude degradation of them (us) as being childish only reflects your sadistic bias against the corps members, staff, and management. Actually some of our parents are professional music educators. Would you call their critique of the Pioneer Corps as being childish. Are you so naive as to think that all of the adjudication is purely "objective?" Obviously that would be the ideal, but don't count on that being a truthful 100% statement! Looking ahead to the next few weeks, if the Pioneer continues to improve as they have been, don't they deserve to move up the competitive ladder?

Do you really feel (I am not suggesting that you do.) that the Pioneer Corps is not worthy of succeeding? If that's the case, you have forgotten that the drum and bugle corps activity is a youth-centered activity for the collective good of all. Their score has consistently been going up. But if the numbers and placings are the only criteria that you rate them with, I feel sorry for you.

Pioneer sticks loyally to their motto, "Better Every Day!" That is our criteria for success. Yes we are consistently looking to improve on yesterday. If that means a higher score or placing, so be it. But if, in fact, there is any clue of the corps being held back competively, for any other reason than an objective adjudication, you bet, we have a reason to complain. Again, I am not speaking for our fans. I cannot look into their minds or have the rudeness to call their assessments as being childish. How can you jusitify your blanket ridicule of our Pioneer Corps Family?

I feel that you owe the entire Pioneer Corps family...the kids, the teachers, the management, and the fans, an open apology on this forum. I hope that you are man enough to do so!

I totally disagree with your arrogant and unfounded bashing of our Pioneer Family, of which you so often seem to be so willing to do. You have absolutely no idea as to what the motives that our fans, parents, alumni, and friends have. Your rude degradation of them (us) as being childish only reflects your sadistic bias against the corps members, staff, and management. Actually some of our parents are professional music educators. Would you call their critique of the Pioneer Corps as being childish. Are you so naive as to think that all of the adjudication is purely "objective?" Obviously that would be the ideal, but don't count on that being a truthful 100% statement! Looking ahead to the next few weeks, if the Pioneer continues to improve as they have been, don't they deserve to move up the competitive ladder?

Do you really feel (I am not suggesting that you do.) that the Pioneer Corps is not worthy of succeeding? If that's the case, you have forgotten that the drum and bugle corps activity is a youth-centered activity for the collective good of all. Their score has consistently been going up. But if the numbers and placings are the only criteria that you rate them with, I feel sorry for you.

Pioneer sticks loyally to their motto, "Better Every Day!" That is our criteria for success. Yes we are consistently looking to improve on yesterday. If that means a higher score or placing, so be it. But if, in fact, there is any clue of the corps being held back competively, for any other reason than an objective adjudication, you bet, we have a reason to complain. Again, I am not speaking for our fans. I cannot look into their minds or have the rudeness to call their assessments as being childish. How can you jusitify your blanket ridicule of our Pioneer Corps Family?

I feel that you owe the entire Pioneer Corps family...the kids, the teachers, the management, and the fans, an open apology on this forum. I hope that you are man enough to do so!

:unsure::worthy::tongue::worthy::devil::worthy: THANK YOU!!! :worthy::devil::worthy::tongue:

Used to be a DQ to march bareheaded...

Yeah, thank goodness we're not in the stone age anymore!

I think it's interesting how many Pioneer fans in this thread feel the need to attack Teal Sound...as if Teal Sound placing higher is somehow their fault.

Yeah, thank goodness we're not in the stone age anymore!

I think it's interesting how many Pioneer fans in this thread feel the need to attack Teal Sound...as if Teal Sound placing higher is somehow their fault.

Can you point out more than one? Because I looked through the thread and don't see it.

edit: Granted, I do think that people are getting a little dramatic in here...

Edited by gimpy

I am not attacking Teal Sound. I am simply comparing the shows and scores and voicing my opinion on the results. Like everyone else, I love drum corps and want everyone to be successful. But -- not one at the expense of another when show content is concerned.

I will not apologize for my views on the judging bias, nor will I apologize for my support, and defense of, Pioneer.

"...... you have forgotten that the drum and bugle corps activity is a youth-centered activity for the collective good of all."

Excuse me, but I was just on my way over to Jamaica Plain and tripped over that bit of blue-sky idealism there.

I don't know your group's specific policies, but my definition of "all" as in "the collective good of all" is all. Taking the time and effort to teach rookies, green walk-ins, I'm talking neighborhood kids without the money or resources to have the turnkey talents that make life easy, giving that segment of the population a chance at having a lifelong experience instead of just seeking out pretrained band kids all the time, does your group still do that? Back in my pre-Lindsay-Lohan day, all the many, many corps we had took in anyone who wanted to belong.

And if by chance we got lucky and some experienced kid walked in, we didn't charge him a couple hundred bucks, for the crying out loud, to have him sit down and audition.

Today it is what it is, but youth-centered for all, it's not.

As someone who has been there:

We respect every single corps and member that we compete with on a daily basis. Many of our friends are in these other corps and we are extremely supportive of those around us. It was hard being in the corps that was at the bottom every year, but the rewards of working hard and being with a great organization greatly shadowed our placing. Our only goal was to be rewarded for what we were doing right and more often than not it did not happen. Pioneer has finished in last place all but two seasons since 2002, and unfortunately those two seasons where because two corps had really down years. I know it would mean a lot to the members if they were able to overtake a corps that they are really competitive with just once this season.

It was difficult to keep vets in the group when I started because of placement and staff turnovers (In five seasons we had five brass caption heads ((two in one season)), five visual caption heads, and five guard caption heads). The staff has really made the commitment to the corps and more and more vets are sticking around. I know the administrative staff is doing all they can to make sure the corps flourishes and thrives; they are one of the only corps to not finish in the red every year. I see great things for Pioneer and it is really nice to see all of the support in this forum for them. Please remember that, as members, we are just happy to perform for you and we respond much more to the audience than the placing. And we really want all of the corps to do well, we want them to stick around, and we want to compete with them for a very long time. It's a great thing that our corps director was the head of DCM and Div II & III, he really emulates "Everyone is important no matter of size, talent, age, or placing."

Keep talking up and supporting the corps. When you go to a show, get there early, find your seat, and sit and enjoy everyone. Every member, from the eight year olds who are just starting to the 21 year olds that are aging out, works very hard and dedicates a lot of time for your enjoyment. Please respond to them, their corps', and their show positively! We want everyone to be "Better Every Day!"

I don't know your group's specific policies, but my definition of "all" as in "the collective good of all" is all. Taking the time and effort to teach rookies, green walk-ins, I'm talking neighborhood kids without the money or resources to have the turnkey talents that make life easy, giving that segment of the population a chance at having a lifelong experience instead of just seeking out pretrained band kids all the time, does your group still do that?

Yes, Pioneer prides themselves on taking everyone who wants to march and teaching them what they need to know to be successful. They have had many students come to them with no prior experience at all and turn them into very successful corps members. I know that a lot of the open class corps' do this as well and I can bet that there are at least three other world class corps' that do it as well.

Edited by atroy

KABOOM !!! Love it !!!! :tongue: And yes they are geting a tiny bit of the shaft this year. Maybe it's the guard. who knows Just Best of luck and I would love to see Pio in Finals. I will be rooting all the way.