BLUE STARS 2010!

to think....my first reply a couple days ago on here has put this thread back on the first page of world class discussion instead of page 22....I'll say it again, there brass sound for Houdini was unbelievable......There are some things I heard but I don't know the validity but some sat it wasn't Blue Stars brass that made the show powerful, but that they were playing material by Phillip Glass and that any corps would have sounded awesome just because Glass's material is that good..Is that true or were Blue Stars just insanely good in 2010? I kind of think that it was all Blue Stars, I've noticed listening to there different shows over the years and they seem to have a full deep and dark sound every year that gives them that unique and powerful sound, much like Carolina Crown and their smoking brass........am I wrong?

• Like 1

No, you are absolutely correct. Blue Stars were definitely better than their scores in 08, 09, and 10. The staff and members produced incredible shows that just never got the scores they deserved. I was in the activity for 48 years and knew all about "paying your dues". My corps faced it for years. We had to beat the so-called "big boys" by 5 points to beat them by .5 in the final scores. Just a fact of life.

The brass staff is going to be getting them back to that sound. The brass staff was all new last year and this year will fix the problems from last year. Good things to come on the 50th cant wait!

I don't think they will be, just based on writing. Saucedo's stuff makes it very hard to have the same sound as stuff that Frank writes. Very different designs.

No, you are absolutely correct. Blue Stars were definitely better than their scores in 08, 09, and 10. The staff and members produced incredible shows that just never got the scores they deserved. I was in the activity for 48 years and knew all about "paying your dues". My corps faced it for years. We had to beat the so-called "big boys" by 5 points to beat them by .5 in the final scores. Just a fact of life.

Glad to see I wasn't wrong in feeling they didn't get the credit they deserved for 2010, As one of the announcers said this year at finals describing Crowns' sound on the field "What a brass sound!"I like listening to Houdini on my VLC Media player where the volume can be cranked up to 200%, way better than Windows Media Players' 100%, I'm young but have a membership to the fan network and have been working my way back from 2013 and at the moment I'm on 2007.I've kinda scouted out what shows a lot of fans really went nuts for to see what all the raves were about before going back and listening year by year. Some shows I can see why the fans go nuts for but there are some shows that aren't really given as much credit as others due to the top 5 or 6. Still my favorite 5 shows of all times are Crown 2013, Cadets 2011, Cadets 2000, Crown 2009, and Blue Stars 2010, in that order. Houdini, in my opinion was Blue Stars best show of all time and was glad to see them for the first time in person at the 2013 finals in August.The only show I can't find anywhere is Blue Stars 1997 when they did the Divine Comedy......any suggestions?

Although my season ended short in 2010, I can say that it is a great honor to have been a part of a product that people still talk about years later even though we didn't make top 6. The talent that we had that year was incredible. The brass was already brought up but you can't forget about the guard, and the percussion that year. But holy mellophones!

As far as the staff changes happening in 2011, that all began in 2010 when Brad Green was basically pushed out as brass caption head. There is no doubt that the brass team did amazing things in 2010, but Brad got them there in my opinion. From then on, the Van Doren diehard staff trickled out. By the time 2012 rolled around, even stagger breathing with decrescendo out crescendo in was no longer tought.

The weird thing about the Blue Stars is that you can pretty much tell what year you are listening to by what they sounded like since 2008. With that being said, I am very happy with the new brass staff who will do remarkable thing, but I wouldn't wait around for the 2010 sound to come back.

• Like 1

Glad to see I wasn't wrong in feeling they didn't get the credit they deserved for 2010, As one of the announcers said this year at finals describing Crowns' sound on the field "What a brass sound!"I like listening to Houdini on my VLC Media player where the volume can be cranked up to 200%, way better than Windows Media Players' 100%, I'm young but have a membership to the fan network and have been working my way back from 2013 and at the moment I'm on 2007.I've kinda scouted out what shows a lot of fans really went nuts for to see what all the raves were about before going back and listening year by year. Some shows I can see why the fans go nuts for but there are some shows that aren't really given as much credit as others due to the top 5 or 6. Still my favorite 5 shows of all times are Crown 2013, Cadets 2011, Cadets 2000, Crown 2009, and Blue Stars 2010, in that order. Houdini, in my opinion was Blue Stars best show of all time and was glad to see them for the first time in person at the 2013 finals in August.The only show I can't find anywhere is Blue Stars 1997 when they did the Divine Comedy......any suggestions?

Where did you find 2006?

Where did you find 2006?

What do you mean? I didn't have 2006 in my previous post.....

When I saw Blue Stars at Allentown, I saw that "quality" element emanating from them. I look forward to the continued maturation of this great corps.

• Like 1