Madison's visual program

Scouts will be performing their product at an extremely high level come August. Question is, is the visual portion of that product their Achilles heel this year? The music is what everyone wants to hear, but the show seems so S-L-O-W. I know there will be changes, but you can't re-write the whole drill (just ask Phantom). I think going with the throwback music was a great idea, but the throwback drill could keep them from the Saturday night fever I'm afraid.

Sorry, I looked at the VOD from Michigan City again to be sure. The drill isn't slow...

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Granted the drill does not have the velocity of most of the corps scoring ahead of them, but I think there's a place in DCI for other styles of movement. I actual enjoy seeing some of the symmetry in Madison's drill that you don't see in some of the more modern shows.

I love the energy and excitement I see in some high velocity drills (like Bluecoats this year), but I think the drill Madison is doing is very appropriate for the music they are playing.

I look forward to seeing them live in Dublin.

....after attending 3 Madison shows, I think the horns/drums/pit is fine.

Its the guard. They blend into the corps during the show.

Where is the color?

Even if they just added a red belt or suspendors, it would help a lot. Or have them wear something white, bright white would help.

Wait, there is more... Trust.

Edited by Cop

I have no doubt that Madison's show will be vastly different come August !!!

They will throw in a few treats for those ALUMNI and past fans of the 70's....you wait.

Remember, Last week I picked them for a top 10 finish !!

cavaliers guard uniform is all black, but they stand out more due to their staging.

what I'd like to see:

a guard feature during the "slaughter dance"

more flags during the company front and finale of slaughter.

lose the cymbals, they're not being used effectively.

guard featured better during the end of rhapsody, with more colorful flags.

cavaliers guard uniform is all black, but they stand out more due to their staging.

what I'd like to see:

a guard feature during the "slaughter dance"

more flags during the company front and finale of slaughter.

lose the cymbals, they're not being used effectively.

guard featured better during the end of rhapsody, with more colorful flags.

Jim Moore gave Madison a masterpiece of a guard book.. and the Men are selling it..

Scouts will be performing their product at an extremely high level come August. Question is, is the visual portion of that product their Achilles heel this year? The music is what everyone wants to hear, but the show seems so S-L-O-W. I know there will be changes, but you can't re-write the whole drill (just ask Phantom). I think going with the throwback music was a great idea, but the throwback drill could keep them from the Saturday night fever I'm afraid.

I have to agree with you about the visual product. While I love the power of sound they are producing I'm just not a fan of the drill. It almost seems like the way the drill is written it makes it appear like they have something like 88 horns on the field including 20 Tubas...oh wait? jk....but really there is something about the drill that made me feel like they were cramped for "visual space" giving it a sluggish feeling. While I have complete faith in the staff I just can't see that much re-write either.

Remember when you would just go to a drum corps show and didn't have to think. You'd go and just enjoy the shows!!

AMEN! :tongue: