Open-Class ONLY shows?

Thank you for the answers. So, for the most part the only services DCI provides the OC Div. is marketing and judges. Is there anything else?

Yes, there's quite a bit, actually.

Underneath the DCI umbrella, there's an entire open-class substructure where directors meet, vote on their own issues, and operate their own open-class tour. DCI hires a part-time open-class coordinator (currently Dave Eddleman) to assist in planning meetings, spearhead tour planning and go on the road to help run things.

Also noteworthy is the DCI evaluation process, which has evolved to become a mentoring process for startups. DCI has compiled a "how-to" manual on running a corps, and has numerous evaluators scattered across the country who are often experienced directors themselves. Another evaluation process is in place for corps advancing to world-class.

There are many other services that open-class corps enjoy as a by-product of their DCI involvement, such as access to many shows, licensing services, audio/video recordings, an occasional appearance fee, and some access to annual seminars and rules congress caucuses. I believe that in some regions, open-class corps still have varying degrees of voting power and appearance fees.

Of course, we wish open-class received a greater quantity of some of these benefits....but it is important to acknowledge the many different forms of support they do get from DCI.

If the OC have no votes do they really have a true say in their destiny?

No....and that is something that needs to be addressed, IMO.

Should the OC Div. Split from DCI?

Not now....but ask me again tomorrow.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that's a huge part of the issue. The perception that the OC corps are "Marching Music's Minor League," and while minor league sports do draw fans, they're not nearly as numerous as major leagues, for the same reasons.

Mike

Thank you all for answering my questions. I ask because I really do want to learn.

Mike, it would be hard to argue that perception is reality in this case.

Why are the supporters of the OC Div. being snub? I ask this because as far as I know, there is no fan round table for OC. It would be nice to have one set up at Indy with Dave Eddleman, Dan A, and some OC Dirs.

The Nascar, and major/minor league examples are dead on. This is so true in most if not all sports leagues world wide. I read on DCP where WGI is trying to increase their fan attendance for the lower ranked units. So I think, most would agree that there is an attendance drop off between Major and Minor org. I can see where an Org. would accept this fact and become complacent. This is the easy way out. However this is not the root cause. It goes deeper then that.

To me, the OC Div. is the Jan Brady of our Drum Corps Family. :worthy: My Null Hypothesis for the OC Div. attendance issue would be: Regaining your identity back + Setting yourself apart (not a split) from the WC Div. = Increased attendance. I would love to be able to prove or disprove my theory.

I look forward to the feedback.

Dean

youd need the right corps and the right venue to draw in a large amount of spectators so it isnt "band mom central" going on to have a open class only show be worth it. what corps would you want to see if only 6 open class corps performed?

youd need the right corps and the right venue to draw in a large amount of spectators so it isnt "band mom central" going on to have a open class only show be worth it. what corps would you want to see if only 6 open class corps performed?

You have the wrong perspective. The fallacy here is that you are attempting to compare the Citations to the Blue Devils. That is like comparing the Durham Bulls to the Boston Red Sox. OC is akin to minor league baseball or NCAA Div II football! As long as the OC ticket prices are less than WC only shows, and as long as the OC venues are smaller stadiums than for WC only shows (venues like high school or small college stadiums), then sell out OC only shows are quite possible! I am interested in Pro Sports, and will pay Pro Sports prices to see the NY Yankees play in front of 75,000 fans in a large stadium; but I am also interested in minor league sports, and will pay minor league prices to watch the Syracuse Chiefs play in front of 10,000 fans in a smaller stadium. Why? Because they are both very excellent teams in their respective divisions.

Edited by Stu

The Manchester, NH show has been very successful for the last several years, with about 5 OC corps. Granted we're lucky in that we've have a few New England based corps. Last year we added exhibition units to top things off (St. Kevin's last year then Mass Brass & BAC Sr this year) along with the Mucahchos. We have a good fan base and we like giving the OC a good place to do their thing and a place for all age/Sr exhibition groups to show their stuff too.

The Manchester, NH show has been very successful for the last several years, with about 5 OC corps. Granted we're lucky in that we've have a few New England based corps. Last year we added exhibition units to top things off (St. Kevin's last year then Mass Brass & BAC Sr this year) along with the Mucahchos. We have a good fan base and we like giving the OC a good place to do their thing and a place for all age/Sr exhibition groups to show their stuff too.

Yes. I've competed in the Manchester show the past couple of years (but not this year). And I remember there was always a very good siezed crowd in the stands. The stands were actually almost full. :laughing:

I question DCI's commitment to the Open Class corps in terms of full judging support, marketing support, and any sort of financial help. I am not at all sure about the financial help, but I did saw a smaller judging staff at the shows in So Cal, and in No Cal, once the SCV and BD left. We had some world class corps there, but not the support. Makes me wonder....

Having said that, at least for now, they are the only game in town.

I question DCI's commitment to the Open Class corps in terms of full judging support, marketing support, and any sort of financial help. I am not at all sure about the financial help, but I did saw a smaller judging staff at the shows in So Cal, and in No Cal, once the SCV and BD left. We had some world class corps there, but not the support. Makes me wonder....

Having said that, at least for now, they are the only game in town.

I am sorry, but I have to question Mr. Edelman's commitment to the OC Div.

Under Mr. Edelman's watch, what ideas or improvements have been implemented to increase the OC Div. attendance?

OC Corps are not getting paid.

Rubber stamping of WC Div rules for the OC.

Doing the same thing over and over again, yet trying to get a different result.

Little to no feedback or communication with the OC supporters.

Does the OC Div. have a five year plan? If not, why not? If they do, why not release it to the public like DCI has done?

Dean

I am sorry, but I have to question Mr. Edelman's commitment to the OC Div.

Under Mr. Edelman's watch, what ideas or improvements have been implemented to increase the OC Div. attendance?

OC Corps are not getting paid.

Rubber stamping of WC Div rules for the OC.

Doing the same thing over and over again, yet trying to get a different result.

Little to no feedback or communication with the OC supporters.

Does the OC Div. have a five year plan? If not, why not? If they do, why not release it to the public like DCI has done?

Dean

...I had a conversation or two with Dave Eddleman last weekend at both the Corona and Paramount shows, I've known him for quite awhile and have never doubted his enthusiasm nor intelligence. Sometimes things need to be held close to the vest, especially in this day of instant communication/reportage. Based on my recent communication with him I know he is aware of the problems permeating the Open Class and has several good ideas that would have positive impact on the smaller corps. That said, no matter how good his ideas are he is subject to the DCI BOD...*that's* where the rubber meets the road. Maybe with this G7 stuff lending change to the BOD, allowing the O16 (that's "Other 16) to have more say in the running of the organization, Open Class issues will become more important in the DCI structure.

But don't hold your breath. :thumbdown:

cg

• 2 weeks later...
Gary:

Once the Aug 3 and Aug 4 shows are completed:

Please post the crowd attendance numbers for the Aug 3 OC show.

Please then post the crowd attendance numbers for the Aug 4 WC show.

I am curious as to the difference in numbers.

August 3rd - about 500

August 4th - about 2500