Do you think Richard Saucedo is being tough on the Cavies' judging

Do you think Richard Saucedo is being tough on the Cavies' judging due to his past ties to the corps?  

87 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think Richard Saucedo is being tough on the Cavies' judging due to his past ties to the corps?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't Care
    • Dumb Question

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

<judge who judges the show "that night, that show">

As we're fond of saying here: THIS

I'll kvetch and moan about this or that corps being slammed by a particular judge, but they need to be given time to understand and evaluate the shows as they experience them on each given night, and only after a judge exhibits a pattern of (dis)favoring any particular groups should there be any discussion of removing them. We should WANT the scores to move around a bit. A fine line can have a weak performance from time to time, and that SHOULD be reflected in scoring.

One of the biggest indicators that the judges are succeeding is when you see caption placements bouncing around within the subgroups of corps.

he is a rookie judge making rookie mistakes across the board.

I never particularly cared for Richard Saucedo's musical arrangements he gave to the Cavaliers to coincide with their visuals. I just never preferred his own " musical ensembles". But I understand that some did. That's fine . It's just a matter of personal musical taste, anyway.

Edited by BRASSO

OP, if he lets that color his score of the Cavies then he has no integrity. I'm inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt, and voted no. DCI needs more judges who will call it like it is. Too many times in the past have I been at a show and seen scores/recaps that seemed to give a corps or section who had an off night a better score or placement than they deserve because maybe they're "typically" much better. ROCK THE FREAKING BOAT, if it deserves rocking.

Edited by BozzlyB

While he may be new to the DCI judging ranks, he is not a "rookie judge". He's been judging band contests all over the country in the past decade.

She's just doesn't like the low score the Crossmen got, that sums up the statement.

While he may be new to the DCI judging ranks, he is not a "rookie judge". He's been judging band contests all over the country in the past decade.

This. He judged us during BOA my senior year and when we heard the tapes, he was the only judge who actually stuck to judging his own caption the entire show and actually gave some very good input (unlike the visual judge who recommended musical rewrites). I only have that 9 1/2 minute tape of Richard Saucedo to back my defense of him, but if he judges everyone else the way he judges us, then he is actually quite good.

EDIT: Nevermind.

http://www.dci.org/scores/recap/view.cfm?e...7d-d8927e9a6256

He put Cavies brass behind both Bluecoats and Crown...last night...

...d'oh.

Why is this surprising?

Why is this surprising?

I don't think he found it surprising, i think he just was d'oh'ing his mistaken IIRC.

I'm very interested to see this Bloo hornline that is just tearing things up this year.

I don't think he found it surprising, i think he just was d'oh'ing his mistaken IIRC.

Correct. I agree with the judging, I just had my facts mixed up, so my prior post had little to no to meaning! :smile:

I never particularly cared for Richard Saucedo's musical arrangements he gave to the Cavaliers to coincide with their visuals.

Your hidden slam has been noted :tongue: