Voting with our Pocketbook

So, there is a common argument that if you want to see change in the drum corps activity that you need to make your opinion known by not spending money. This is usually an argument that coincides with the argument that sharing opinions on this forum is futile in affecting change.

The argument continues that if I don't spend my hard-earned dollars and enough people join me that it will get the attention of those in decision making roles (whatever the issue we're upset with).

I'm of the opinion that this will not work. Up in my shriveled brain I think that when it comes to "art", those creating it will actually become emboldened by such tactics, rather than trying to appease. They are the kind who think marketing is for the fickle masses and that anything "popular" is drivel. This may sound hyperbolic, but I honestly don't believe that they care whether I come to the show or not. Money is a necessary evil to them so they can create what is satisfying to themselves. (ouch. did I really say all that?)

In addition, it's not like in 2010 there will be 30,000 fans at finals and then in 2011 there are 500 fans. Instead this form of "voting" is a very slow process that takes years to yield sizable results. In fact, it may be that it happens so slowly that it is totally misread and may even exacerbate the problem--we may actually be given more of what we are opposed to.

So...I do both: I don't spend what I used to (are you listening drum corps decision makers?), and I write my opinions here with the hope that maybe...just maybe...someone will listen.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm listening. Did my best, sent monies to Canadian corps, winter guard and American via books and videos. I don't do FB nor Paypal. I'm starting to doubt myself. Can I do more? No, not yet! I do what I can. Small change. btw I'm artistic, creative and love drum corps ;

Money is a necessary evil to them so they can create what is satisfying to themselves. (ouch. did I really say all that?)

When it comes to art isn't this how it is supposed to be? As an artist, if you are not creating something that first and foremost appeals to yourself, then why even bother in the first place?

The argument continues that if I don't spend my hard-earned dollars and enough people join me that it will get the attention of those in decision making roles (whatever the issue we're upset with).

I am of the opinion that it would not work, because if attendance drops, the inclination will be to make even further drastic changes... due to the evidence that people are losing interest. I doubt that anyone with any influence would make the reverse connection that attendance is down because of the changes.

So, there is a common argument that if you want to see change in the drum corps activity that you need to make your opinion known by not spending money. This is usually an argument that coincides with the argument that sharing opinions on this forum is futile in affecting change.

I'm of the opinion that this will not work. Up in my shriveled brain I think that when it comes to "art", those creating it will actually become emboldened by such tactics, rather than trying to appease. They are the kind who think marketing is for the fickle masses and that anything "popular" is drivel. This may sound hyperbolic, but I honestly don't believe that they care whether I come to the show or not. Money is a necessary evil to them so they can create what is satisfying to themselves. (ouch. did I really say all that?)

In addition, it's not like in 2010 there will be 30,000 fans at finals and then in 2011 there are 500 fans. Instead this form of "voting" is a very slow process that takes years to yield sizable results. In fact, it may be that it happens so slowly that it is totally misread and may even exacerbate the problem--we may actually be given more of what we are opposed to.

So...I do both: I don't spend what I used to (are you listening drum corps decision makers?), and I write my opinions here with the hope that maybe...just maybe...someone will listen.

I think just the opposite. One of the main reasons for the G-7 is because they don't feel that DCI is working anymore. That DCI loses money and something needs to change in a big way or we will lose this activity. So you are just fueling the fire by not spending money and having DCI make even less money. I think now would be the best time to help DCI and go to as many shows as you can and help them make a profit or the big changes will come and they might not be the ones you want.

Truly lame shtick.

Hi Granny,

I think that the lack of fans does get attention, and some of the time, posting on the corps board will as well. This board seems like a very ineffective way to get attention. The "pocketbook" question also must take the corps revenue into account. For a lot of corps, the actual revenue from shows is the smallest source of revenue on the year. I think, and undoubtedly will be corrected if I am wrong, that the actual money that a corp receives for most shows is not based on the gate. If it was, then the spending money argument would be a lot more effective. Likely the revenue streams vary from corp to corp, but I would bet that direct mail to the corp and even direct support of a corp will have a greater impact. Your points on mindset are well taken as well.

Thanks for being a fan!

When it comes to art isn't this how it is supposed to be? As an artist, if you are not creating something that first and foremost appeals to yourself, then why even bother in the first place?

This is an interesting thought. I'm wondering (truly am) if this isn't part of the fundamental problem. There has become a mindset of writing to please oneself and/or others within the activity (other writers, judges, etc.) rather than for the fans. (I'm unsure where members fit into this).

I don't liken drum corps to fine art where we can have a show at a gallery and 35 people come and squint at the work and deem the artwork to be amazing. Rather, it's like an illustrator doing illustrations for a children's picture book that needs to be of a certain quality so you can sell as many books as possible. The artwork is still first-class, but it's designed differently.

P.S. I do think that posting on DCP is effective. I know for a fact that directors read it and others in decision making positions keep an ear to the ground here.

Maybe if revenue drops fans will get even smaller judging panels early in the season :jimlad.gif

Edited by corpsband