Misdirected Hostility

I blame tbecdesigners as well as the judges.

Sad part is, I was a huge BD fan for years, and since 2000, musically they push me further away.

Yeah they're very good, but boring as sin. For the first time ever, BD could be my bathroom break.

In Indy

I have to agree I've been a huge fan since 1979. The last 3 years I just didn't get into their product.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

But isn't it the member corps that determine the judging criteria?

Yes.

And I wonder if the completely different judges that judge the DCI Open Class are also getting it all wrong there as well.

The Blue Devils " B " Corps is undefeated and blowing away the competition there too.

Some " bad calls " are apparently being made there too.

Maybe we should just ban the Blue Devils A and B Corps.

Then again, maybe by October, they'll be gone from DCI.

And then we won't have them to kick them around any more..... and once again everybody will be happy.

Edited by BRASSO

Was at the show.... was ready for either top 2 to win.... scores announced and I could feel the frustration around me when it was such a big spread. I don't think most would have been ok with BD winning, but not by such a great margin. Apples and Oranges compared to get a winner, but Cadets being closer to SCV than BD? I didn't see it.... funny, my sons first show (he's 18 and not a musician or performer).... I think he was even surprised not being a drum corps geek like me that BD was so far ahead.

I sat in the stadium watching both corps for a few days. Never was there a comment heard for the general public about winning points.... it was about achieving excellence and getting the viewer to believe the big moments.

I pay much less attention to the scores than I used to, and still less with each passing season. I go to shows just to see the show!

I can't ever imagine booing a corps show, either during a show or when the scores are announced, and I don't think I ever will.

I believe that most of the judges viewed the corps even with the smaller panel. There were a lot of comments about waiting for the full panel and watch the changes in the individual areas being judged.

I didn't think that was going to happen because the judges "knew" just about where each corps was going to place no matter if they were on the field or in the stands. I haven't done the home work, but I think that may be true.

Crown's drum line got their biggest hit with the holes but once they eliminated the holes, they are or will be back where "They Belong".

It's Blue Devils turn at being the Alpha Male corps - it will change at some point, and someone else will get their chance.

I don't think it can be defined why the corps get what they get - it's just a system that is what it is. You either get to acceptance or tear your hair out show after show and write what we write in these forums.

I don't always like certain corps shows - and I have passed that banner around to a few over my years marching and watching drum corps, but I am oh so envious of every kid out there.

Mitch

I pay much less attention to the scores than I used to, and still less with each passing season. I go to shows just to see the show!

I can't ever imagine booing a corps show, either during a show or when the scores are announced, and I don't think I ever will.

Yes. While I can understand a fan's frustrations, and by all means they have a right to boo, one would think they'd have the civility not to boo any Corps. Fortunately, the booing of a Corps is a very rare occurance in Drum Corps compared with other competitive enterprises where other 17-22 year old amateurs are frequently booed, and with much greater verocity too.

Edited by BRASSO

Yes.

And I wonder if the completely different judges that judge the DCI Open Class are also getting it all wrong there as well.

The Blue Devils " B " Corps is undefeated and blowing away the competition there too.

Some " bad calls " are apparently being made there too.

Maybe we should just ban the Blue Devils A and B Corps.

Then again, maybe by October, they'll be gone from DCI.

And then we won't have them to kick them around any more..... and once again everybody will be happy.

Really getting to you, huh?

Too funny!

It's Blue Devils turn at being the Alpha Male corps - it will change at some point, and someone else will get their chance.

Mitch

I have absolutely no idea what this means, as the Blue Devils are not even an All Male Corps.

Can to elaborate, oldsnare ?

I believe that most of the judges viewed the corps even with the smaller panel. There were a lot of comments about waiting for the full panel and watch the changes in the individual areas being judged.

I didn't think that was going to happen because the judges "knew" just about where each corps was going to place no matter if they were on the field or in the stands. I haven't done the home work, but I think that may be true.

Crown's drum line got their biggest hit with the holes but once they eliminated the holes, they are or will be back where "They Belong".

I don't think it can be defined why the corps get what they get - it's just a system that is what it is. You either get to acceptance or tear your hair out show after show and write what we write in these forums.

I don't always like certain corps shows - and I have passed that banner around to a few over my years marching and watching drum corps, but I am oh so envious of every kid out there.

Mitch

Excellent post! Very intuitive.

I blame tbecdesigners as well as the judges.

Sad part is, I was a huge BD fan for years, and since 2000, musically they push me further away.

Yeah they're very good, but boring as sin. For the first time ever, BD could be my bathroom break.

In Indy

Completely agree here.........

I was a huge BD fan (Even had their logo in a frame over my computer desk for a period of time).

I do not dislike BD (Or any corps for that matter) for winning. I have nothing against the members of the corps (How could I...I love drum corps). My dislike for BD is purely based on the music (And musical arrangements) their staff's have been selecting and presenting.

If BD took one of their big hit's (shows) from the past (Similar to what Madison is doing this season....and what Phantom did in 08) and modernized it a touch....you couple that with their incredible execution......fans everywhere would be wetting their pants with excitement. The corps wouldn't be able to comprehend what hit them.

As for judging.......it's been controversial (Much worse in the 50's 60's) since it all began.

Change the system to what many of us have suggested time and time again......take away points from GE (Most subjective captions) and put them in the technical captions.....maybe that will help