Misdirected Hostility

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Another argument is the lack of parity in drum corps and how only 8 corps (6 active) have won championships in nearly 40 years of competition.

Same as it ever was: between 1951 and 1971 only 7 corps won the VFW title. St. Vincent's Cadets and the Cavaliers combined to capture 11 of those 21 titles.

Not trying to call anyone out or start an argument or anything; just adding a little perspective to the picture.

peace,

Fred O.

####.....i only opened this thread because I thought it was about the old 311 track Misdirected Hostility :-P

I will once again (seems year after year I make this same point...) point out that if a year to year comparison of scoring, and a strong analysis of show content, demand, continuity, performance and cleanliness was to be completed comprehensively by a bilateral and independent panel of each corps shows every year... done specifically at a good month to month or biweekly separating timeframe to specifically show cleaning and added in elements as the season goes on... that kind of research would point out the flaws of the current judging system, and how it always winds up inexplicably leaving a corps or several corps being suspiciously "placed" into a placement as opposed to earning it, or falling in to it from where they were say two weeks prior.

Like the baseball umpire who made a horrifically bad call and cost a pitcher a well-earned perfect game earlier this season... drum corps judges can easily cost a corps a well deserved placement at the semi's or Finals show by simply making one bad judgement call as well.

The BD idea with the mirrors creates a cool effect. I didn't mind the chairs either. And of course they perform as a top 3 corps should.

I think this is starting to bother people because aside from one important night in 2008, BD is looking at 4 consecutive championships, it's not even close, and they don't particularly wow you as a dynasty in DCI normally does. Show preferences aside, you knew the Cavaliers in the early to mid 2000s were the best. Some of their arrangements were a little boring in my opinion, but you respected that dominance. I can't find the same feeling for BD. Maybe it's the lack of demand, the lack of a melody...I'm trying to strip the personal preferences away and still don't understand it. Has DCI become solely a judgment on who is the cleanest?

I think there's a growing gap between what WE (former performers, casual music fans) think General Effect is and what THEY (full-time drum corps employees, choreographers, judging community) see GE. At the end of the day, demand, creativity, fan engagement...they mean LITTLE because you could argue any show ever has these traits, even though casual observers understand the clear separation between the corps in these areas.

I blame tbecdesigners as well as the judges.

Sad part is, I was a huge BD fan for years, and since 2000, musically they push me further away.

Yeah they're very good, but boring as sin. For the first time ever, BD could be my bathroom break.

In Indy

I will once again (seems year after year I make this same point...) point out that if a year to year comparison of scoring, and a strong analysis of show content, demand, continuity, performance and cleanliness was to be completed comprehensively by a bilateral and independent panel of each corps shows every year... done specifically at a good month to month or biweekly separating timeframe to specifically show cleaning and added in elements as the season goes on... that kind of research would point out the flaws of the current judging system, and how it always winds up inexplicably leaving a corps or several corps being suspiciously "placed" into a placement as opposed to earning it, or falling in to it from where they were say two weeks prior.

Like the baseball umpire who made a horrifically bad call and cost a pitcher a well-earned perfect game earlier this season... drum corps judges can easily cost a corps a well deserved placement at the semi's or Finals show by simply making one bad judgement call as well.

The difference is that in baseball we have a videotape that shows pretty conclusively that the runner was out, and that the call was " bad ".

In Drum Corps, what some fans fan claim is a" bad call" by the judge, other fans claim is the correct call.

Can we all agree that there were few complaints of a " bad call" when the Blue Devils, who won both the Quarters and Semi's in 2008 , were upset in the finals in 2008 ? Most liked the stabbing of the DM on the podium ( who didn't ? ) by Phantom Regiment, and their show was wonderfully entertaining and performed, but did the same judges who judge Corps then make the " good " call, but now, because a great Corps like the BLue Devils win, many of these same judges are now making " bad " calls ? Is this the logic at work ?

Edited by BRASSO