What were we thinking? Stuff that didn't quite work

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still kinda wonder what were they thinking.... The Cadets 86 show...... had a boat load of horns.... at that time..... and 12 or 16 guard members.......

And the 12 guard members were dressed as the corps proper.

And 24 years later. :)

One of my most memorable sights was Michael Cesario picking up the white plastic clarinet props after the performance. All I could think was he must have made that deal to get them in the show.

Edited by Michael Boo

OK, we all know corps staff ain't perfect so once in a while something that sounded good just didn't come across or fell flat on it's face. Have two examples from the late 70s and hope others have more.

Jr side: Madison re-doing the first half(?) of their show because it didn't work. Forget details (never heard the beginning of the season show) so hope someone will fill in.

Sr side: When Star Wars came out a techo guy named Meco did a techo/disco album of SW and it went thru the roof in sales. His next album was "Time Machine" and people thought it would be gold also. 1978 Westshoremen used the title track as their after concert number thinking it would be a surprise to have a corps playing something while it was climbing the charts.

Problem was "Time Machine" bombed so bad it's not even listed on Mecos' Wiki page. (Not kidding, I just checked.) We (Westshore) played it and NO ONE knew what the Hell we were playing. Worst dreck I ever played in my 15 years. ("Just a Gigalo" is a close second).

OK... time for the peanut gallary to open up.

Dude... I had that album! It's the opening from "Encounters of Every Kind" by Meco and it was a minor hit. I loved that album. Then again, I was 10, had never shaved, kissed a girl, or acquired any sense of taste or grasp of the sublime. Actually, yeah, it kinda sucked. Huh. Now I'm deflated. Anyways... That's a blast from the past. Hell, I won the world in '85, and then in '86 we did "Christopher Street", an "Ode to" the geographic central hub of, how shall we say, "alternative" lifestyle in NY. Not that there's anything wrong with that, just, well, it went over like a lead balloon. And this from the defending champs. We all have our crosses to bear. I empathize with you.

How 'bout the 1979 non-stop "Children of Sanchez??"
\

How many corps DID that number that year... I know Blue Stars did..

Im thinking at least 3 if my memory strikes me...

Edited by Briggs1

\

How many corps DID that number that year... I know Blue Stars did..

Im thinking at least 3 if my memory strikes me...

Without referring to Corpsreps or the legacy vids I'm going to say...

Guardsmen, Northstar in addition to Blue Stars.

Without referring to Corpsreps or the legacy vids I'm going to say...

Guardsmen, Northstar in addition to Blue Stars.

And from looking at Corpsreps it was Cadets, Cavies, Blue Stars, Bleu Raeders, Eye Openers, Northstar, Bengal Lancers and the Sundowners

1995... Santa Clara Vanguard.... " Not the Nutcracker " showtheme.

It sure wasn't.

Whoever came up with that idea should have had their You Know Whats cracked.

I unfortunately never saw the gerbil wheels ...

For those of you wondering what are the Star Gerbil Wheels: Rent the Richard Pryor movie "The Toy"; he uses an inflatable Wonder Wheel similar to the metal ones Star used in 1986. The scene in the movie is just as hilarious as Star was live.