What were we thinking? Stuff that didn't quite work

I can actually answer the last two. The khaki jackets were Phantom's attempt to create a new uniform that wasn't black or white, and Cesario said at the time he was looking for something that evoked the image of the poem The Phantom Regiment - so British khaki it was.

For BK 2001, they had played such heavy music in 1999 and 2000 that they were looking for a way to get crowd reaction on their side. (And honestly, in retrospect, their American in Paris was quite nice - it's the Paul Hart "Cartoon" sections that bombed.)

Mike

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude... I had that album! It's the opening from "Encounters of Every Kind" by Meco and it was a minor hit. I loved that album. Then again, I was 10, had never shaved, kissed a girl, or acquired any sense of taste or grasp of the sublime. Actually, yeah, it kinda sucked. Huh. Now I'm deflated. Anyways... That's a blast from the past. Hell, I won the world in '85, and then in '86 we did "Christopher Street", an "Ode to" the geographic central hub of, how shall we say, "alternative" lifestyle in NY. Not that there's anything wrong with that, just, well, it went over like a lead balloon. And this from the defending champs. We all have our crosses to bear. I empathize with you.

LMAO, will have to look for mine in the cellar. Sad part was Baris had a lead pat and one (Two?) or the held notes was just not right for some reason. Not sure if the chord needed a note that used the third valve or it just just a note that sounded like crap with P/R horns. Kinda "daaa da, da, ewwwwwww". :tongue:

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Cadets 2006

Cadets 2007

Cadets 2008

only thing worse would be somebody praying....oh wait

Pioneer 2010

Edited by snowrider

Without referring to Corpsreps or the legacy vids I'm going to say...

Guardsmen, Northstar in addition to Blue Stars.

I'm pretty sure Cavies played it, too.

Edit: Oops, sorry, Dir_en_X beat me to it with a complete list!

Edited by byline

This might be a controversial pick, but 2004 Crown.

"FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEDOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!"

EXACTLY!!!!!!!! And "Beat Generation".... someone thought that was a good idea. I think that show might have turned a lot of people off of narration forever.

I'm pretty sure Cavies played it, too.

Edit: Oops, sorry, Dir_en_X beat me to it with a complete list!

That's OK Sue, I mixed up the Guardsmen's "Tiger of San Pedro" with "Children of Sanchez"....

But I knew it was the "Something" of "Somewhere"

Early 70's at some small show in a very small high school stadium somewhere in Wisconsin.

As we gathered off the back corner of the field for retreat, a senior corps was doing an exibition. As I watched fireworks canisters being set up I thought ....THIS would be interesting THIS close to the field.

I "think" this was Boys of 76 and they were going to use the fireworks during their color pre.

Fireworks were placed OFF the field between the back sideline and the track.

Person lighting them is running trying to light them all as quickly as possible and knocks several over after lighting them.

The 1st to go off was something LARGE that shot up the 50 and through the corps into the front low wall of the stands causing showers of sparks, and they kept coming. As the person who knocked them over TRIED to kick them so they would not shoot up the 50, fireworks started shooting everywhere to the right of the 50 including one that came at us The corps itself mostly held it's position but after that 1st shot landed up against the front stands, those who were not on the ground laughing were running for shelter.

Watching the crowd's reaction was one of the funniest memories I have of corps.