Yankee Rebels

Wow - I'm so sorry to hear that another great bugle corps has left the field.

I wish I could have seen you all in your glory.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bump

... I wonder what the Alumni movement will look like in the next 10-20 years with many of the corps.

Well Jim ... IMO the Alumni movenemt will revert back to its origins of more social Alumni Associations, possibly with a resurgence of Alumni Choruses and participation at fraternal gatherings like the GAS, BHOF and other I&E shows ... the Alumni Corps movement took many years to materialize after Archie first mustered up their exhibition corps in the mid/late 70's ... the CT Alumni formed around 84 and Reading was an early entry ... but, it wasn't until the early 90's that others burst onto the scene like YR, St. Joe's, Boston, Marksmen, BS, Reilly etc. ... the first "major" Alumni spectacle was in Boston in 1995 ... and that really set the the movement afire ... it took several years for Sky's Alumni to build into a sizeable corps in the late 90's ... and we all knew that someday it would be physically impossible to put on a show at an acceptable level to the membership (my personal end came in 2006) ... YR seems to have hit that wall ... and there's no shame in reverting back to the strong Alumni Assoc they had prior to giving the playing corps a shot ... bravo to them!!! ... I hope to witness their chorus once again at the GAS should they choose that path ... heck ... Prince decided a few years ago to retire their chorus ... again ... no shame ... just great memories ... so ... a BIG thank you to YR for the shows they performed through the years ...

Andy "Grand Poobah of the NY SIDELINERS" Lisko

Edited by ajlisko

We are still going to have our Chorus but I doubt we will be at the GAS in Boston this year. I know 2012 is in Gettysburg and we will hopefully be there if Trag wants to teach us.

Edited by beagus

The idea of marching with multiple corps has long been an issue in my Boston Crusaders Senior Corps. Originally, playing in another unit was strictly forbidden.

I found that out the hard way with BAC Sr. in 95 when I asked to do the BU hockey rink show with BAC and MSJ. Only marched with MSJ that night as a free agent and missed playing with BAC with a great "comeback" show. I rejoined BAC in 96 and glad that I committed to one corps. Besides being a drummer would make it very difficult to do more than one corps, I think only brass players can get away with that. ha.... I would love to be able to fly up from Florida this November at Plymouth to just hold some cymbals.

I must admit of being a great fan of all the alumni drumlines as I would learn and watch some historical stuff happening in front of my eyes. I was amazed to see that YR had marching tymps !!! I put the sticks down, way too young in 1971 but was very grateful for alumni corps movement to give me another chance. I became reborn in 1994. Made a lot of life-long friends and a new appreciation for an activity that was introduced to me by Bob O'Neil, founder of the Citations.

Hats off to the Yankee Rebels

As the kid once said to the famous ballplayer..."Say it ain't so Joe". :lol:

Excuse my personal sentiment. A YR question if you will. In later years did they play the "anything goes" street beat? I loved that. Thanks Yankee Rebels.

1975-1976 a John Flowers creation if I remember. One recording I wish I had as missed the only chance I had to record it. :tongue:

Few years later my sis HS did "Anything Goes" as a musical. Laughed everytime I heard the song.

Excuse my personal sentiment. A YR question if you will. In later years did they play the "anything goes" street beat? I loved that. Thanks Yankee Rebels.

yes they did. 1975-1976. and it was great. i used to make sure i would see them perform it at every show we were at. i loved it. it was john flowers idea and rick coletti wrote it.