Academy question

You said a lot of stuff I would have agreed with and then you said this garbage.

If it's a money issue to these organizations then maybe you should be in a different division until you are ready to tour full time. The Bluestars in 2004 and 2005 toured a full 35 show tour and managed to be very financially responsible. They moved to division 1 without any real issues. Also if money is the issue maybe the Academy, PC, etc. maybe should have attended seminars at the DCI meetings to increase sustainability. I know Troopers director put on one last year that highlighted the corps being in huge financial debt, folding, and coming back to a strong financial foundation.

It certainly is a good think folks like you don't run DCI. Shortsided thinking my friend. Shortsided.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...or maybe other corps should follow their lead and attend more local, regional competitions. I would rather have more corps in my region that tour nationally occasionally, than the reverse.

If it costs corps so much to zig-zag across the country, than why not minimizing touring so that newer corps can have an easier time with start-up costs?

There are advantages and disadvantages to having fewers shows. Please stop pretending that The Academy is getting is getting a pass.

also, what's better than local performance opportunities to build local support and potential new donors?

Maybe all of the Corps should do 20 shows a Summer and spend 8 to 10 weeks camped out and practicing? Then they wouldn't have to practice with cricks in their necks from riding in the bus all night.

Maybe more corps should take the opportunities to perform locally in their area more instead of spending most of their time and energy for the enjoyment of the rest of the country. Just a thought.

The Academy is always looking for new ways to generate more funding and has expanded their efforts each year, bit by bit. Does anyone keep in mind the fact that just 10 years ago, The Academy was a small brass and percussion ensemble? They used an instrument donor program to purchase the first full set of horns in 2003. The group also began it's Memorial Day concert. The corps also has an annual Benefit Dinner. In 2008, AAPA began the Centerstage production with 3 performances over two nights.

Many on this board make it sound as if the organization is run by schmucks trying to stick it to DCI. They have a well thought out plan for growth and stability!

Look at it this way:

2001: Organization founded with only brass and percussion.

2003: First set of horns purchased, still in exhibition.

2004: First competitive season, performed at six shows.

2005: Performed at 10 shows, ended the season in Denver.

2006: Went to Finals in Madison, WI for the first time and won Division II.

2007: First year in "Division I" and again traveled to Finals.

2008: Added four more shows, and moved to closer to a "World Class" touring model, earned a full sponsorship from Jupiter/Mapex/Majestic.

2009: Added three more shows and bounced back from 2008.

2010: Same amount of shows as 2009.

Their growth and improvement is similar to the current darling of the activity, Carolina Crown. Founded in 1988 and winning Division II in 1993. That's six years to win a title, the same amount of time it took The Academy. So for this point in their history I think that they are doing very, very well.

The Troopers came back from extinction, but how many years of history and proud alumni did they have to assist? They were founded in 1957! Same goes for the Blue Knights, founded in 1958 and the Blue Stars in 1964. They have had years and years of experience to learn from mistakes and figure out a model that works for them.

How can you ignore the growth the organization has had in just a decade? There are efforts being made each year in order to expand the organization and improve the experience for members and fans. I'm extremely proud of what this group has accomplished in such a short amount of time!

well put. I would quibble with the 2009 comment about bouncing back. Yeah it was a tough show with little GE potential. They lost an incredibly talented corps to that show, but in hindsight, I like to think of it as 3 straight years as a WC Semifinalist.

I think one of the issues is people are trying to tie competitive success with the number of shows performed. To me, there is zero correlation. The Blue Devils would be top 3 if they did 35 shows or 15. It's about money more than placement. But, then you have to balance the cost of getting to the show with the financial benefits of going. In BDs case, they are wagering their souvie sales all over the Midwest will offset the costs. Regiment made bank on souvies during their last tour to the west coast. It is the one place where placement matters...souvie sales.

When Crown was a semifinalist. I would wager they did ok. Much better when they made finals...and even better when they cracked the Top 5. Also, recruiting got better. They were no longer a stepping stone to some members to a finalist corps. They were a finalist corps. The same will happen to The Academy when they reach finals, whenever that will be (reminder..>August 16 is my 50th year on the planet and I could think of no better gift...hint hint.)

Maybe all of the Corps should do 20 shows a Summer and spend 8 to 10 weeks camped out and practicing? Then they wouldn't have to practice with cricks in their necks from riding in the bus all night.

Actually... not a bad idea, the more you think about it.

Edited by BRASSO

You know what would make me happy? That we never talk about Academy on DCP ever again. We seem to be one of the few corps that it is perfectly fine to trash. As a fan of a sacred beyond reproach corps and the Academy I can say I am starting to get fed up with this site. I would rather hang out with the people on our Facebook page who don't have inane arguments and try and prove points to people who will never listen anyway.

Every corps has kids, staff and volunteers who work themselves like crazy and do not deserve this negativity. Criticize all you like but keep it off the public forums.

The users of the DCP forums are in decline and the negativity and futility of the conversations are a big reason why.

Ok, so now you want them to move down a division. What about the talk when The Academy was in Div II saying that they should move up to Div I. If they kept going in Div II, how many people would have been complaining because they were constantly winning and that they need to move up. I'm sure people like you who are complaining now were the same ones who were complaining then.

Also, I'm certain that the Director of The Academy along with some staff and other people from the Organization did go to seminars during the DCI Meetings. But according to you they obviously didn't, so why don't you apply to be their accountant and in charge of The Academy. You obviously know more than them, so step up to the plate and show us what you've got.

I have the pictures to prove their attendance.

This is getting to sound more and more like sour grapes. Some people are so competitive they believe the only way their corps can get better is by another corps suffering. Let's get to the point where all corps are doing well enough financially that the competition is about the field and not how we get there.

Maybe what some of these western are commentators are afraid of is a corps with a current Crown pedigree growing up in their midst. Instead, they should just enjoy their 60+ years in existence and their long associations with alumni better to help sustain their organizations.

Ah well, we can't have it all.

You know what would make me happy? That we never talk about Academy on DCP ever again. We seem to be one of the few corps that it is perfectly fine to trash. As a fan of a sacred beyond reproach corps and the Academy I can say I am starting to get fed up with this site. I would rather hang out with the people on our Facebook page who don't have inane arguments and try and prove points to people who will never listen anyway.

Every corps has kids, staff and volunteers who work themselves like crazy and do not deserve this negativity. Criticize all you like but keep it off the public forums.

The users of the DCP forums are in decline and the negativity and futility of the conversations are a big reason why.

I do want you to be happy.

Do whatever it takes.

I understand your frustration, but I don't think it is entirely futile, and the fact that someone posted these criticisms that might already have seemed valid to some normal people on the surface actually provided others with the opportunity to debunk them in ways that make sense to said normal people.

For example, I did not realize that Academy played almost as many shows as BD, and others may not have realized that research and reason exist which refute the careless assumption that practice days are more beneficial than show days. And these reckless accusations led to the explanation of sound reasons for the touring model that a number of people may read and hopefully will better understand.

It is true that not everyone will get it or wants to get it, but there may not be much we can do for such people. I tend to just feel sorry for them as they usually don't like themselves and secretly fear they are poorly endowed in some area or other. Those people are always going to exist and if they weren't bashing Academy they would probably be kicking a dog or something. So don't take it too hard, and think of how much your sacrifice will be appreciated by the dog.