Academy question

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i guess my point is that why doesn't everyone just take weeks off in between shows and see how good things are at the end? if it's such a great financial choice why doesn't the G7 do it? and why did they vote to become their own unit playing more shows?

it seems idiotic to label a corps as "world class" because they only have financials figured out... According to the definition of "world class" you have to achieve a balance in both. That's part of the game. If you can't play, then don't try. i consider the pioneer a better example than anyone for being a fully touring drum corps while having a great balance of financials. granted they don't make finals, but they figured it out.

I would feel very bad about getting topped by academy night after night now knowing that they were at home rehearsing all day. Weather has nothing to do with it, they had another all days to prepare while other corps were getting beat up by the demands on a fully touring organization, injury, sickness, and all the other stuff that happens on tour.

this "club med" drum corps vibe has to go

yeah, there he is. The next Academy sponsor! We need about $10K to $15K to add more tours. I would expect a check from you on Carol's desk by the end of next week. Basically, it's put up or shut up time.

Edited by Tom Brace

yeah, there he is. The next Academy sponsor! We need about $10K to $15K to add more tours. I would expect a check from you on Carol's desk by the end of next week. Basically, it's put up or shut up time.

Well put Mr. Brace. Well done!

Anyone remember when people used to complain about Pacific Crest having a shorter touring model? It was basically this exact same thing.

Notice how that talk died when PC fell out of Semis a few years back?

Anyone remember when people used to complain about Pacific Crest having a shorter touring model? It was basically this exact same thing.

There wasn't so much talk about Academy's tour in 2008 when they fell off the pace. People only care when its a threat to their corps because Academy's/PC/Whoever doing it a different (but approved and encouraged by DCI) way.

Edited by acanadeanhick

If The Academy somehow DID make the Finals this year, you can bet your life that the Corps that spent a lot of dough crisscrossing the country for upwards of an exhaustive 35 competitions, but fell short to The Academy in the Semi's, will rethink the touring model they embarked on this year, and make adjustments similar to what The Academy has this year with a limited, scaled back, travel tour. And in my view, this would be welcome news indeed for the entire activity.

Edited by BRASSO

If The Academy somehow DID make the Finals this year, you can bet your life that the Corps that spent a lot of dough crisscrossing the country for upwards of an exhaustive 35 competitions, but fell short to The Academy in the Semi's, will rethink the touring model they embarked on this year, and make adjustments similar to what The Academy has this year with a limited, scaled back, travel tour. And in my view, this would be welcome news indeed for the entire activity.

I agree! Maybe we could get back to a regional model like we had back in the day.

From a financial perspective it makes sense for other corps to follow this practice. I would argue that it would also benefit them more than it would the Academy since they have better working conditions. (Very few have ideal working conditions but the Academy's heat issues prohibit all day practice.)

I agree! Maybe we could get back to a regional model like we had back in the day.

More than any other single factor, what killed off so many DCI Corps over the years was the inabiliy to sustain the heavy costs that were incurred in crisscrossing the country on the national touring model. At the end of the summer, the costs they sustained were too much, and the curtains came down for them.

Edited by BRASSO

I was surprised it took so many pages for someone to complain about Academy's touring model. When folks were bashing Pacific Crest and Mandarins I argued that the limited touring model hurt them competitively more than it helps. I believe that is the case in Academy's too.

I think there is an optimum balance of rehearsal time and competitiion to achieve the best end result. While touring and shows is grueling it also has a lot of benefits in terms of getting the kids show ready, creating momentum, and many more intangibles that cannot be replicated at home during rehearsal.

I would argue that if Academy does make finals it will be in spite of, and not because of, their limited touring model.

At the end of the day I don't care what it does competitively. We can argue thread after thread, year after year, none of us will really be able to definitively know if it is a net negative or positive in terms of scores. If there is an advantage either way in my opinion it is not material in the big picture. What is much more important is keeping the corps financially sound. If the limited model is the means to do that then I am all for it.