Minneapolis Corps Directors Meeting

[quote name='Martin I. Zing' date='Jul 22 2010, 09:07 PM' post='2850324'.

A) I WOULD like to see a copy of the BLAST calendar. Do you have a copy? When did the show finally close? What agency represented BLAST? I'm trying to remember if it ever played Minneapolis when I was living here.

................................................................................

................................................................................

look.... trying to make the case that somehow" Blast " was not a success ( ie, not sure "if it ever played Minneapolis" ) is just plain silly beyond belief.

" BLAST " was a hit. It showed a good profit. It had a longer theatrical run than 95 % of similar start up ventues. If you can't accept that " Blast " was a long running, and profitable success then that that's your problem, and I can't waste my time on someone so incapable of acknowleging the clearly obvious when it relates to " Blast". To be " brutally honest " with you, while I've met a few people where " Blast " was not particularly their cup of Java, I 've never met anyone before that believes that the long running theatre production " BLAST " was not a hit, and a commercial success.

Edited by BRASSO

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'D LOVE TO TAKE MY FRIENDS TO SEE THE G7 IN A DRUM CORPS SHOW AND WE'RE READY TO SPEND LOTS OF MONEY.

Too bad for you. The G7 won't be in any drum corps shows. They're going to be in some other kind of new hybrid extravaganza musical form show that they have yet to invent. (Details to be filled in later.) They are leaving the drum corps shows behind them. You won't be able to take your friends to a drum corps show to see the G7 because no such thing will exist. Sorry.

I guess you and 15,000 of your closest friends are going to have to find something else to do. I would like to recommend checking out all of the drum corps who will be performing at DCI events all across the country in 2011.

Is anyone getting this logic? Because I'm :unsure:

Martin, one at a time to your responses in caps:

-DCI regionals now draw 12m fans and finals draws 15m to 20m. Is it reasonable to think in ONE WEEK you'll find 45,000 fans in 3 cities?

Again. Old world thinking.

If I didn't feel that there are 15,000 fans each in Dallas, Houston and San Antonio for the Top 7 Drum Corps in the World all gathered together in a SUPER STUPENDOUS NEVER BEFORE SEEN SHOW FOR THE FIRST TIME UNDER THE STARS IN THE STADIUM IN YOUR HOME TOWN FOR THE FIRST TIME THIS (insert friday, saturday or sunday night HERE) sponsored by BEST BUY. TICKETS ON-SALE SATURDAY MORNING 10;00AM . . . . THEN YOU ARE CORRECT, I WOULD NOT SUGGEST IT. YOU ARE THINKING OLD WORLD DRUM CORPS EXISTING FANS. I'M TALKING NEW FANS!

You do realize that Martin Zing is not the real name of this poster all, right ??

G

I know Martin Zing.

Martin Zing was a friend of mine.

You Sir, are no Martin Zing.

( oh heck, just trying to lighten things up here. I'm moving on. This poster is not old world.. new world.... he's from a world that needs a little more oxygen, H20, and a few other other important nutrients, imo. ) I 'm going back to the " old world " of DCP now to another thread )

Edited by BRASSO

You do realize that Martin Zing is not the real name of this poster all, right ??

G

Yes, I do.

I'm guessing it's a takeoff on "One-Hour Martinizing."

-Where are the 450,000 fans now? Your friends, who thought Madison should have won, weren't vested in drum corps. They were there for the entertainment and had no interest in anything else of the event or the activity. When you invite them to a G7 event what will you say? "But this show has woodwinds, and smoke machines!" and that will convince your friends to come again to a show? Do you see how you're projecting this same problem on the population as a whole?

Also, if what you say is true - that entertainment is the sole purpose of the activity - then wouldn't the simpler answer be to simply change the judging sheets now to include a more entertainment-based focus? If that were done would you and your friends come more than once every couple of years?

Finally, you speak as if DCI is some third entity, disassociated from the corps. Please remember that DCI IS the corps! They can't be itching to "bust out" of the rules they made for themselves, right? The made the rules! And in particular the drastic judging changes and equipment changes, dreamed and instituted by GH, were meant to solve the problem that keeps you away -- did it work? What you're bored with today IS the vision of the G7; why would you believe they have the correct answers now? I could go on with SO much more here, but you get the point.

-To answer why the G7 show you envision will not look like Madison, Royal Airs, VK, and Troop please go to the G7 proposal and read THEIR vision. It will have much more impact than anything I can describe here.

You are correct. They were not 'vested in drum corps'. That is my point and I'm glad you finally understand it. The size of the audience for those NOT "in"vested in drum corps is huge and untapped. If DCI can only draw 15,000 to 20,000 to its finals we must assume these are people who are all vested and willing to travel. Could this be why the attendance is so small across the country. Could it be that the scoring system is so esoteric and confusing that you have alienated those who might try to learn? I prefer to think more likely it is impossible to be fair and honest. But either way, it is not done in the interest of entertaining those who as you say are not VESTED in drum corps.

Judging changes, equipment changes --- it is water over the bridge if it does not make the performance MORE CONSUMABLE AND ENTERTAINING to the VIRGIN AUDIENCE because it is they you hope to bring back with a new guest in tow. Drum Corps has lost site of this and I think the G7 group is going to make one last grasp to go out there and grab them. I hope their high level product will be more entertaining like Madison, Royal Airs, VK and vintage Troopers and some SCV always were and are. Tunes you can hum and snap your fingers to. Shows that MOVE you. Am I dreaming?

Edited by Martin I. Zing

It may be marketed as "Top 7 Drum Corps In The World" -- the first year maybe. But certainly no longer than for one person to go to a DCI show and see the difference. In fact, I'd bet the terms Drum and Bugle Corps, and Drum Corps are somehow copyrighted, or licensed, by DCI (don't take my word on this, it's only speculation). But they will certainly NOT be allowed to market any connection to DCI. Besides, this whole point is moot. The G7 plan is to make drum corps look like marching band. Why would he want to reflect "drum corps" in any way, anyway?

-

Believe me when I say this. Your knowledge of intellectual property law is staggering and scary at the same time. :unsure:

Am I dreaming?

Yes. First, the G7 have no intention of doing anything remotely close to what you've described. Second, there are not 450,000 new fans for any sort of marching band competition. Not even for the Honda Battle of the Bands, which is the only event I can think of that's like the shows you've envisioned, and which is very, very different from the sort of drum corps you want to see in these exhibitions.

I know Martin Zing.

Martin Zing was a friend of mine.

You Sir, are no Martin Zing.

( oh heck, just trying to lighten things up here. I'm moving on. This poster is not old world.. new world.... he's from a world that needs a little more oxygen, H20, and a few other other important nutrients, imo. ) I 'm going back to the " old world " of DCP now to another thread )

Hilarious! Still coughing from laughing so hard...