Minneapolis Corps Directors Meeting

As for your first point alpha...Blast Inc. total income in 2002 alone was about 20.4 million...I think that in itself is a commercial success IMO.

As for point bravo...I can tell you really don't know what your talking about...

Marching Corps Band Extravaganza of 4-7 traveling units doing exhibiitons is not going to attract 15,000 to venues for more than a year...... at best. And at upwards of $125. per ticket they'd be competing with the Pros of music.... established names....with huge print, TV, radio, advertising and with heavy marketing and promotions.... music groups that typically have years of branding, and name recognition, ... paid music performers, who do this for a living.

Zing simply doesn't understand the bling in all of this. He frankly either hasn't thought it all through, or he's shooting from the hip. His thought process on how he envisons this working successfully with 19-22 year old' ers, primarily amateur musicians still in the learning stage of their craft, is as goofy as can be, imo.

Edited by BRASSO

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and you aren't realizing one thing......brass and drums running around a field aren't going to excite that many people to show up without some type of track record to prove it's worthwhile.

in order to do that, the G7 super show will sustain financial losses til it gets to the vision you have...if it ever gets there. Blast, for all of it's great run, didn't make money right away. And really, if not for word of mouth from drum corps folks and the PBS special, it never would have opened on Broadway.

you truly don't understand the costs associated with this, and the type of marketing needed. These are the guys claiming to be taking drum corps into the next century and adding fans....while losing fans, and seeing tons of rehash from a genre ( marching band) already out there.

Consider this for just a minute . . . .

I think from what I've seen as recently as a week ago, alot of the work aimed at the prototype of the hybrid supershow has already been done. They are much closer than is realized. When you think about it, they have the beginnings of such a show in 2011 planted at one sight, call it a Beta-sight --already in Minneapolis. Chop off 15+ of the first corps from the recent "REGIONAL", invite Madison and Blue Stars and MBI during FINALE (because of local appeal) to join them for this show only and they could sell 15,000 seats to that show next season at $35++ per ticket (PLUS PAY FOR VIEW). THEN repeat the same thing at Camp Randall or Lambeau Field either on Friday or Sunday AND THEN SPLIT $ONE MILLION$. What do they need DCI for? What does DCI bring to the table?

MIGHT BE EASIER THAN YOU THINK. :unsure:

As for your first point alpha...Blast Inc. total income in 2002 alone was about 20.4 million...I think that in itself is a commercial success IMO.

ON THIS POINT, I GUESS WE'LL have to agree to disagree. But I have agreed to modify my position. Instead of callng it a failure. I now list it as a "modest business success".

Remember, I'm in the business. I know some of the markets and theatres it played.

So let's leave it at that.

I think from what I've seen as recently as a week ago, alot of the work aimed at the prototype of the hybrid supershow has already been done. They are much closer than is realized. When you think about it, they have the beginnings of such a show in 2011 planted at one sight, call it a Beta-sight --already in Minneapolis. Chop off 15+ of the first corps from the recent "REGIONAL", invite Madison and Blue Stars and MBI during FINALE (because of local appeal) to join them for this show only and they could sell 15,000 seats to that show next season at $35++ per ticket (PLUS PAY FOR VIEW). THEN repeat the same thing at Camp Randall or Lambeau Field either on Friday or Sunday AND THEN SPLIT $ONE MILLION$. What do they need DCI for? What does DCI bring to the table?

Whatcah talkin' 'bout Willis? - (had to say it)

Translation - what prototype are you talking about? I can guess but would rather hear the details.

And a person who knows squat about Drum Corps sees... "SUPER STUPENDOUS NEVER BEFORE SEEN etc" that might be interested in learning more.

Figure the interest would last until they see the price of the tickets....... :unsure:

What are the average prices being paid for tickets in Texas this weekend?

Do you think they are high?

To get to the Million dollars per weekend, the avg. ticket cost is $22.50 per person.

15,000 X 3 shows per weekend = 45,000 X $22.50 = $144,000 per G7 corps ++

Which G7 corp will GROSS $144,000.00++ for their efforts in Texas this (i.e., 2010) weekend?

You do realize that Martin Zing is not the real name of this poster all, right ??

G

Yeah, it's Hop.

In order to get 15,000 in Minn you are already drawing off the people from Wisconsin. No way they pay that much to see this even more than once in a weekend. DCI can't even attract 15,000 at finals, I still don't know where you think they will get it for one of these shows.

To get to the Million dollars per weekend, the avg. ticket cost is $22.50 per person.

Which G7 corp will GROSS $144,000.00++ for their efforts in Texas this (i.e., 2010) weekend?

Super. And each non-G7 corps gets how much $$??

And the long term effect on the non-G7 corps is....??

That's why G7 will never exist within the DCI umbrella. G7 will have to "grow a pair" and leave DCI and form their own circuit. Will they do it? I think Don Warren holds the key. If Cavies don't go along, the others won't have the courage to leave.

The same corps that will get that much under your "proposal" because it would never happen.