What beer goes best with drum corps?

You're not a responsible adult if you're doing ANYTHING like you did it in high school or college - and that includes lecturing to your peers about morality, as if you assume that they aren't intelligent, responsible people. :tongue:

Word. There's no need to preach. Beer is good.

Has anyone mentioned Left Hand Milk Stout yet? If not, they should have.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After a day of dealing with the "Creme de la Creme" of society like I have to do on a nightly basis a nice beer with my Bacon and eggs puts me to sleep. Right now I am drinking a brand called Hebrew Beer (aka the Chosen Beer). But I have my backup of Schlafly and Schlitz.

and once again, no body gets it.

I got it Dale. I had a few with the man a couple of weeks ago and whenever we run into each other.

A few years ago, he asked if he could stay at my place after DATR so he could close down Brooklyn's. I agreed and told him I'll meet him there after 11 as I had to take the kids back to my place. They had an off day the next day so when I told one of them my plan, the gal offered to drive me back to Brooklyn's and to call her to pick me and Jack up. Well, we never found Jack as turned his phone off and I had no idea what kinda car he had. So we ended up closing Brooklyn's ourselves hoping to run into him. The place is full of corps staff and we asked everybody if they have seen Jack. We kept hearing he's here somewhere and we stuck around having a few ourselves and now we needed a ride back to my place. The bar closes, we walk a few blocks to an all night mexican food joint, talk drum corps for hours and next thing we know, the sun is coming up. Walk back to my car and we hear a loud snoring coming from a car and there's Jack, in the back seat his car less than 20 feet from my car with a mexican food wrapper in his hands from the same place we were at. And it's a good 4-5 blocks from the stadium.

Another Jack story I recall, we were driving down I-30 from the housing site to the Cotton Bowl for semi's. We left really early for the show say 11AM? Jack, myself , Groh and another on staff I do not recall who was driving. These guys had cases of beer in that van and Jack kept telling me, " you better drink up now, they don't serve liquor in that stadium". So we are pounding away and I thought to myself, what am I doing here with these knuckleheads? Nevertheless, we get to the stadium, park in the staff lot and Jack say's, "Put a couple in your pockets and let's walk around". So we are walking and talking to people when a cop comes up and tells us we can't walk around with open liquor. So Jack blurts out, " Good thing you didn't pull us over in the van on the way here". We had a designated driver but still, you never know what the laws are from state to state about others drinking in a vehicle. So this cop looks steamed at Jack's response ( must have been a marine at one time, crew cut , attitude and all) and as we are getting ready to pour our drinks out, another cop comes up and tells cop #1, "What are you doing? That's Jack Bevins. Don't you ever bother him again'. So we go along our merry way and I asked Jack who the other cop was and he responds, " Hell if I know, never saw him in my life".

For those of you who know Jack, you would say, yeah typical Jack and for those of you who do not, he is the man and the legend of VK. People ask me why I fully sponsor kids in drum corps and will even give them spending money while on tour? I point to Jack who did so much for me when I marched.

One other quick story. We are at the Stadium bar across from Camp Randall in 06. Jack's giving me hard time about where my Friends of DCI tickets are located. He tells me that I need to be in the pressbox where all the free food is. Right then his grandson walks in and tells him his car is being towed. He says ,"###### they better not take my beer outta there".

The first two stories, you'll notice there was nobody drinking and driving nor intended to. The Dallas story, the guy was brought along to drive because he did not drink at all. And as for Camp Randall, I heard the beer Jack had bought was a microbrew not found in Colorado he wanted to bring back home.

Where was Two Dogs brewed at? I heard they are out of business. I found some in Omaha and Lubbock maybe it was a midwestern locale? I don't think it considered a microbrew was it? Tasted more like a flavored drink to me i.e. Smirnoff Ice

Where was Two Dogs brewed at? I heard they are out of business. I found some in Omaha and Lubbock maybe it was a midwestern locale? I don't think it considered a microbrew was it? Tasted more like a flavored drink to me i.e. Smirnoff Ice

Yes, Two Dogs was not a beer. The brand was sold to a Japanese brewer a few years back, and I haven't seen them on a store shelf since.

Back when I marched, we would have considered Molson Brador the "official beer of the Blue Devils".

When I was marching Brigadiers and driving down From Toronto, Wayne would ask me to bring him a case of Braedor if he was in for the weekend.

Had to throw in a historic bit......Sr corps sponsored by breweries

Schmidts/Hamms Indians - St Paul, MN

Grain Belt Diamonds - Minneapolis, MN

Ballentine Brewers - Newark, NJ

LOL - figured this would be my 9,999th post....

Edited by JimF-LowBari

I got it Dale. I had a few with the man a couple of weeks ago and whenever we run into each other.

The first two stories, you'll notice there was nobody drinking and driving nor intended to. The Dallas story, the guy was brought along to drive because he did not drink at all. And as for Camp Randall, I heard the beer Jack had bought was a microbrew not found in Colorado he wanted to bring back home.

He had always promised to buy me one when he got a chance. That had never happened over a couple of decades, until '07 at our reunion. And again every year since. Very cool indeed and the real heart of the VK. :tongue: