BD vs Cadets in visual

Last year "all they did" was sit in chairs.

This year "all they do" is run/scatter/scramble to their spots. :thumbup:

Yeah, that's ALL they do.

So you can justify (once again) why BD doesn't deserve the scores they're getting.

Can YOU march their show? I'd like to see anyone give it a try and get back to us. :doh:

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

sorry...

standing still, sitting, hiding behind mirrors, roaming around from set to set is easier...

and frankly, I'd LOVE to see the BD hornline attempt the Cadet drill...

will never happen though...

if easy is going to win, then why change?

Geez, will this silly argument ever die? Amount of time spent moving does not correlate to demand. Ever.

Cadets demand is nowhere near that of the Devils this year.

I wouldn't say it's no where near that of Devils. Let's see what happens when the feet is as clean as BD's.

I can agree with you that BD has better individual technique and foot timing.....but lets take an entire section......compare the contra sections of the 2 corps and then tell me which corps has more demand. (at least for that one section) BD does move at times, but this years drill in particular, there is not much form integrity, mainly because they are trying to achieve effect by not having the form integrity. I think its much easier to clean drill when it is hard to define where the drill is supposed to be. I think the most difficult drill is put into 1 or 2 sections, and the rest is sort of filler.....BD stages very well, but they seem to reset the form quite a bit by having the kids run to their new spot. To me it seems lazy of the drill writer when you do it as much as BD.

When you watch BD and Cadets one after the other this year, BD seems like a HUGE production, and Cadets seem very minimalistic. In the beginning of the show while the guard wears the full corps uniform, the corps seems small. I think Cadets guard is technically good, but they do not pop as well as BDs. The color contrast is sort of bland when you compare it to the shine and production value of BD. However the drill demand is much higher than BDs for a few reasons. First the Cadets move much more consistently then BD. I think if you took a stopwatch to how much the BD hornline stands still compared to Cadets, I would estimate that the Cadets move for a full minute to minute thirty more than BD. (although it is not as easy to measure this as it was last year) Also the Cadets drill is more progressive in the fact that one form moves to the next, all while excellent staging and accommodations for the herald trumpets, soloists etc to blend in and out of the drill are taken into effect. Also the cadets drill does not segregate sections as much as BD (or cavies and Bluecoats I would add as well). The hornline form seems to move in tandem regardless of instrumentation. I am not saying that doing that makes drill more or less difficult (except when referring to BDs contra section), However I personally think it is more interesting and shows more innovation on the part of the drill writer.

All in all I would say BDs difficulty is 6/10 but they are performing it at a level of 11/10. While the Cadets have a difficulty of 9.5/10 and performing it at a level of 7/10. I think the question is now, and has been for a long time......which approach should win a championship?

This post makes me laugh...I remember in 83 when they said about a certain winning corps "Oh you can't judge them they are asymmetrical and there is no real form" and people b***d and moaned about how unfair it was..well until EVERYONE started doing it

Geez, will this silly argument ever die? Amount of time spent moving does not correlate to demand. Ever.

Cadets demand is nowhere near that of the Devils this year.

So in your world, a 12 minute park and blow is just as visually demanding as a show where they're moving?

I get that moving and playing isn't the ONLY thing demand wise, but to write it off completely because you think it's a silly argument (because it pertains to BD and they aren't capable of doing anything less than spectacular) is just as silly.

IMO.

Sorry....Devils demand is nowhere near that of the Cadets this year. <see what I did there>

Yay another beat up on BD thread. How refreshing.

And here we go with another dismissal of opinions with the classification of another thread as BD hate.

Yay another beat up on BD thread. How refreshing.

It's ok, Blue Devils fans don't believe these people that dislike BD's show exist, so they won't notice this thread. :thumbup: