BD vs Cadets in visual

Yay another beat up on BD thread. How refreshing.

I think DCImonkey is on salary! Such dedication...it's heartwarming. :thumbup:

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

haha AWESOME!!! funny thing is i dont even hate blue devils---there is actually only a hand full of corps i dont like and only one of them is in top 12...but that doesnt mean i cant believe a given show of theirs should not win! i get supporting your corps but i also understand being in touch with reality

I don't hate them either. I don't pull for one corps over another based on the uniform.....I pull for individual shows over individual shows. There are years, I want BD to beat the pants of Cadets and Cavies (2006) and there are years, I want Cadets to smoke everyone (2005) and yes, even SCV gets some love (1999)

I actually LOVED the 2008 BD show, but I pulled against them at Finals just so we could see a new champ. BD shouldn't take things so personally.... alot can change from one year to the next...

SEE: 2008 Cadets vs. 2009 Cadets; or 2004 Carolina Crown vs. 2005 Carolina Crown Drum corps fans are notorious for having short memories. They'll forgive your transgressions in 1.5 seconds if you give them something better.

I think DCImonkey is on salary! Such dedication...it's heartwarming. :thumbup:

I'm waiting on Hopkins to cut my check. I'm in charge of the smear campaign leading up to Finals :doh:

Looks like oil and water DOES mix.

Let's leave BP out of this :thumbup:

I'm waiting on Hopkins to cut my check. I'm in charge of the smear campaign leading up to Finals :thumbup:

I just knew it!

I don't hate them either. I don't pull for one corps over another based on the uniform.....I pull for individual shows over individual shows. There are years, I want BD to beat the pants of Cadets and Cavies (2006) and there are years, I want Cadets to smoke everyone (2005) and yes, even SCV gets some love (1999)

I actually LOVED the 2008 BD show, but I pulled against them at Finals just so we could see a new champ. BD shouldn't take things so personally.... alot can change from one year to the next...

SEE: 2008 Cadets vs. 2009 Cadets; or 2004 Carolina Crown vs. 2005 Carolina Crown Drum corps fans are notorious for having short memories. They'll forgive your transgressions in 1.5 seconds if you give them something better.

:thumbup::doh:

I haven't read the whole topic, but I will say this....

The reason is simple. It does not matter who has the harder show...in fact, BD's show is a lot harder than what people think. But BD is doing everything better than The Cadets as a whole. Period. This explains the point spread.

Perhaps I'm missing something, but can someone explain to me how BD is beating Cadets in Visual by over a point? I can see the color guard pushing the spread a bit, but from a marching standpoint, Cadets have BD beat (IMO of course). BD's show doesn't have nearly the demand Cadets show does. What exactly are the judges looking for? Does marching even count anymore or should we need even try?

here's the way I see it in a nutshell.

BD doesn't beat you over the head with a lot of the same demands over and over ( ie running and playing etc). They do just enough of just enough things, and do them well enough that they get max credit. Now to many fans, that may be boring...we want those ( $1 to Cesario) whiplash kaledioscopic effect drills. BD isn't going to deliver that. I do feel tho, that if BD has a visual design flaw they are getting way too much credit for it, is it seems every major vsual transitions is running or jumping or skipping to a set usually in a scatter formation. I remember this trend being beaten to death when scatter drill got hot, and for a while people got love for it, then eventually the judges cracked down. as a viewer, i find it highly distracting, and it often looks like chaos, and not the good kind.

Cadets however have that good ole fashioned East Coast mentality of "music is motion". lots and lots and lots of music on the move, at times with ridiculous velocity and crazy musical demands. as such,......it makes it that mushc harder to clean on both sets of sheets. they won't get credit for the attempt unless it's spotless, and that's going to be #### near impossible. I said last year the end of their show would never get clean because of how much they were trying, and I was right.

so then the dillemma....for many fans, what Cadets are doing is awesome, full of energy and fun, while what BD is doing comes off as boring, but so technically impressive that the judges have no choice to reward it. Personally, at some point real soon I would have BD perofmer over the book, because what they are doing is so clean, that in essence they own, while everyone else is still deep cleaning, and will see both book and performer go up.

hence....the divide between what judges see and what fans see. BD gives enough and gets the credit ( and should), but at some point, they should stop getting book credit as everyone else gets clean and the performer sub box grows, allowing more of the demand to get credit

here's the way I see it in a nutshell.

BD doesn't beat you over the head with a lot of the same demands over and over ( ie running and playing etc). They do just enough of just enough things, and do them well enough that they get max credit. Now to many fans, that may be boring...we want those ( $1 to Cesario) whiplash kaledioscopic effect drills. BD isn't going to deliver that. I do feel tho, that if BD has a visual design flaw they are getting way too much credit for it, is it seems every major vsual transitions is running or jumping or skipping to a set usually in a scatter formation. I remember this trend being beaten to death when scatter drill got hot, and for a while people got love for it, then eventually the judges cracked down. as a viewer, i find it highly distracting, and it often looks like chaos, and not the good kind.

Cadets however have that good ole fashioned East Coast mentality of "music is motion". lots and lots and lots of music on the move, at times with ridiculous velocity and crazy musical demands. as such,......it makes it that mushc harder to clean on both sets of sheets. they won't get credit for the attempt unless it's spotless, and that's going to be #### near impossible. I said last year the end of their show would never get clean because of how much they were trying, and I was right.

so then the dillemma....for many fans, what Cadets are doing is awesome, full of energy and fun, while what BD is doing comes off as boring, but so technically impressive that the judges have no choice to reward it. Personally, at some point real soon I would have BD perofmer over the book, because what they are doing is so clean, that in essence they own, while everyone else is still deep cleaning, and will see both book and performer go up.

hence....the divide between what judges see and what fans see. BD gives enough and gets the credit ( and should), but at some point, they should stop getting book credit as everyone else gets clean and the performer sub box grows, allowing more of the demand to get credit

Wait wait wait, that is not a fair statement. It is no where NEAR impossible for them to get it clean. It's already starting to get there. I think the staff knows what to do to get it cleaned up, but the big thing is that BD is much cleaner than Cadets are, but it's a little too presumptuous with three weeks left in the season to say it's gonna be impossible for Cadets to clean themselves up. Contrary to popular belief, there have been Cadet shows that were MUCH harder than the one they're presenting this year, and those were able to get clean.