Atlanta Regional Order

I think if I were a lower tier ( last 6) corps I would be scratching my head right now.

Pioneer, Crest, Manadrins, Cascades and Teal have all done between 12 and 15 shows. Each of these corps just wrapped up a long weekend with a Regional in Texas and thier placements were based off those numbers. Surf (which has done 8 shows and has not been in a Regional so far this season) did a very soft show in Virginia with no other World Class corps at that show. Due to thier score at that show, they have the best placement of the lower tier corps. I know people have complained about The Academy and how they travel and place in shows, so I guess this is a comparison of that scenario.

Makes you wonder if ther should be an East Coast Show that would rate your corps against your peers rather than just be placed above them.

Edited by CT-Horn

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that the slotting in groups of 3 is kind of....well interesting. It definitely makes for a varied line-up. Most of the time corps place in their order of performance so it should be interesting to see what if any effect the order has upon scores. It should definitely keep the judges on their toes.

Anybody notice the full retreat listed. Did I miss something? That's pretty neat though!

I'm pulling for Bluecoats and Cavies this year so I'm happy about the placements.

The top 6 are going to be the tightest scoring in history I think (Devils will likely have a spread over 2 thru 6.... although I disagree that they should). You might have 5 corps within a point-and-a-half spread, all battling for second place or possibly higher. I think the scores might actually suffer a bit for Cadets, Crown and SCV as the judges may want to leave themselves a cushion in case any of the last 3 are really on fire.

One thing I found really encouraging from the SA recaps was the way that captions were won by so many different corps. Cavaliers winning visual, Bluecoats taking music and percussion, Cadets getting Brass... and yet each corps also being scored appropriately in their weaker areas with captions as low as 4th place for every corps. This to me sounds like fair and unbiased scoring. Too often in the past recaps would have corps "A" placing 1 in every subacaption, corps "B" placing 2 in each, etc... To me that always seemed suspect or lazy. In part I think this year's scores are a reflection of the incredibly close competitive season and the many great productions on the field.

Great year for corps. I can only hope that the gap on Devils closes up and all 6 are in the running come Saturday night.

I agree that the slotting in groups of 3 is kind of....well interesting. It definitely makes for a varied line-up. Most of the time corps place in their order of performance so it should be interesting to see what if any effect the order has upon scores. It should definitely keep the judges on their toes.

Anybody notice the full retreat listed. Did I miss something? That's pretty neat though!

Full retreat isn't always a marchers most fun thing, but as a fan, it really is spectacular, and it's quite a sight to see, particularly when I 've brought new fans to the show. On more than one occasion, when I was with new fans in the stands, it was of the things they commented on that they liked in the night's new experience for them.

I think if I were a lower tier ( last 6) corps I would be scratching my head right now.

Pioneer, Crest, Manadrins, Cascades and Teal have all done between 12 and 15 shows. Each of these corps just wrapped up a long weekend with a Regional in Texas and thier placements were based off those numbers. Surf (which has done 8 shows and has not been in a Regional so far this season) did a very soft show in Virginia with no other World Class corps at that show. Due to thier score at that show, they have the best placement of the lower tier corps. I know people have complained about The Academy and how they travel and place in shows, so I guess this is a comparison of that scenario.

Makes you wonder if ther should be an East Coast Show that would rate your corps against your peers rather than just be placed above them.

Isn't it random how the whole....random thing is?

Perhaps other corps should try the "not touring so much" model.

Isn't it random how the whole....random thing is?

Perhaps other corps should try the "not touring so much" model.

Perhaps if a corps misses the regional that seedings were determined at, that corps should go on first.

I think each regional should have a minimum number of scores required in order to be seeded. If you don't meet that minimum number of scores you are put in a group of non-compliant Corps and those Corps should go on first in order of their average score. The same could be done for Finals week in INDY as well and say if there is a 30 score minimum (with an additional requirement of attendance at each regional) to be seeded if you don't meet that minimum amount of scored shows then you are automatically put in the group of Corps that go on first. I think this would end the practice of Corps staying at home for weeks on end after the season has started.

Edited by rwmoore001