2nd year for the synth....

The synths are totally unnecessary, but not as distracting as amplified voice. And the electric guitars...those are really jolting. Guitars + brass worked for Blood, Sweat & Tears and Chicago. But they have absolutely no place in drum corps. Actually, getting rid of all the electronic crap would be great. If your designers can't be creative with only brass and percussion, then hire new designers.

While I can respect the opinions of all of the posters on this topic, may I just say that I am very proud of my synth player. He is fullfilling his dream and to me, that is the most important thing in the world. I take no offense at the electronics critics, and beam every time I read a positive comment about Bloo's synth.

While I can respect the opinions of all of the posters on this topic, may I just say that I am very proud of my synth player. He is fullfilling his dream and to me, that is the most important thing in the world. I take no offense at the electronics critics, and beam every time I read a positive comment about Bloo's synth.

Well, prepare to beam once more, because I like the effects that Bloo are using this year! It's unique and fits the show pretty well. Bravo to your son!

As for synths and stuff in general, my opinion about the electronics use this year is basically the same as last year...some stuff I like, some stuff I don't. That's probably how I will continue to feel about electronics for the rest of time.

Well, prepare to beam once more, because I like the effects that Bloo are using this year! It's unique and fits the show pretty well. Bravo to your son!

As for synths and stuff in general, my opinion about the electronics use this year is basically the same as last year...some stuff I like, some stuff I don't. That's probably how I will continue to feel about electronics for the rest of time.

Good thing we didn't have synths in 1991, because I bet Santa Clara would have come up with inferior ways to simulate:

A) A helicopter

B) Marching soldiers

C) Gunfire

That helicopter effect was one of the more cool moments in DCI percussion history (IMHO). Now, sadly, DCI would just have someone press a button :tongue:

Edited by atlvalet

well if they had miked the marching machine, that would have been ok

Then you are for getting rid of the synth right? Sorry, my ears must be better than yours because I have heard the synth DEFINITELY doubling the tuba parts in key and octave. Most noticeable when the tubas were playing a difficult moving part...almost as if they were covering it up trying to make it seem cleaner.

Hardly.

All of that whining completed, other than audio samples, I do prefer if synths stick to stuff not actually possible with otherwise-allowed instrumentation. The guitar in Crown's show this year, or the piano in Blue Devils last year, those are decent. But I was crushed, *crushed* when I found out that the "Somewhere" pit solo in Crown's show last year that sounded like a glockenspiel or something was actually just played on a synth. I guess it says something about my discernment abilities, but my point is, it *could* have been played on a real instrument. Why wasn't it?

A synth is a real instrument.

it's being said on reviews too Mike. so I guess they are wrong in your eyes too

I base my comments on what I saw and heard live. I don't care what anyone is saying. They can hold whatever opinion they wish; that's what a review is. I don't base what I think on what others say, and I would never base an opinion on how a corps sounds in person from a computer feed. Again, that's me; you can base your opinion on what others say and what you can hear on your computer if that's what you want to do.

The synths are totally unnecessary, but not as distracting as amplified voice. And the electric guitars...those are really jolting. Guitars + brass worked for Blood, Sweat & Tears and Chicago. But they have absolutely no place in drum corps. Actually, getting rid of all the electronic crap would be great. If your designers can't be creative with only brass and percussion, then hire new designers.

Might as well remove most of the valves from the horns, take away all percussion except snares, single tenor drums and a couple of basses and cymbals, the way it was when I started marching. Anything legal to use has a place in drum corps, as always.

I base my comments on what I saw and heard live. I don't care what anyone is saying. They can hold whatever opinion they wish; that's what a review is. I don't base what I think on what others say, and I would never base an opinion on how a corps sounds in person from a computer feed. Again, that's me; you can base your opinion on what others say and what you can hear on your computer if that's what you want to do.

Mike no offense, I could say the world is round and you'd say it's square.

and i'll gladly trust the words of reviewers, because many of the DCp reviewers have been helpful in knowing what to look and listen for in shows over the years