2nd year for the synth....

i think it would help balance issues too.

Most of the keyboards (I see lots of Motifs) have on-board sound generation so synthesizer is not entirely wrong either.

Is anybody using only midi-only keyboard-controllers and separate sound modules?

Yes. Teal Sound's main keyboard station is a M-Audio midi controller and a Roland Fantom-X synth module. The secondary board is a Korg workstation.

Okay here's a different take on the topic.....

Since they have mic'd the pit and have synths.....why should we keep them in the front box since we all have had moments were the volume was too high, maybe they should move the "pit" to backfield and have the pits volume come from behind the corps.....it certainly would be a different experience in sound, I remember years ago corps moved the pit to mid field (kinda) on platforms think one was Troopers....but it was interesting and the projectionof the vibes etc was easier heard in the stands...

I say move them backfield :) opens up the front for more brass and percussive moments

Even better, move them to the parking lot.... :blink:

-extremely hard task of blending synths with an outdoor musical ensemble that is often spread 20-30 yards and sometimes much further apart.

-intonation (synth = always perfectly in tune, brass line = not)

-ensemble sound spread across the field, making sure sound levels are dialed in when performance venues literally cover every variety imaginable (i.e. outdoor small HS stadium, indoor ENORMOUS pro football stadium)

And most corps are decidedly bad at dealing with all of this right now, IMO. Sounds like amateur hour out there.

Even better, move them to the parking lot.... :blink:

Better yet, donate the whole S-load to Lady Gaga.

And most corps are decidedly bad at dealing with all of this right now, IMO. Sounds like amateur hour out there.

I think that overall they are doing a much better job this season (at live shows that is). I agree that on the some of the FN videos and broadcasts the balance is not good but you can't judge accurately from that.

I think that overall they are doing a much better job this season (at live shows that is). I agree that on the some of the FN videos and broadcasts the balance is not good but you can't judge accurately from that.

If anything, I've found that webcasts don't really show how bad it is.